Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-21-2022, 12:27 PM   #16
GnRFan79
Enthusiast
GnRFan79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I've just opened a free .epub and .mobile book from Project Gutenberg in Calibre and with the built-in viewer the line spacing is fairly large.

So perhaps it isn't the Kindle/Kindle apps that cause the spacing issues, rather it is the underlying .mobi/.epub file?

geojson format
GnRFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnRFan79 View Post
I've just opened a free .epub and .mobile book from Project Gutenberg in Calibre and with the built-in viewer the line spacing is fairly large.

So perhaps it isn't the Kindle/Kindle apps that cause the spacing issues, rather it is the underlying .mobi/.epub file?

geojson format
I dunno what on earth you are looking at, but that's not what I see. Neither in KP3 nor Calibre:

So...whatcha doin' there?

Hitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GreatGatsPG_4-21-2022.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	193404  
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:31 PM   #18
GnRFan79
Enthusiast
GnRFan79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I've since sorted the line spacing in Calibre by adjusting the line height setting.

Still trying to work out how to make the mobi file when it reaches the kindle to have the proper line spacing like it does with purchased books.
GnRFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:44 PM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I remove line height settings for all body styles; you can then use the ereader GUI to set whatever line spacing suits.

But I only ever used "Send to Kindle" years ago to test. It's a stupid & broken idea.

The Kindles, Kobo, Mars, Sony get the ebooks via USB and often enough charge that way. Also Amazon is getting a copy when you "Send to Kindle" which isn't ever neeeded if you bought the book from Amazon. But actually I don't use WiFi to get books off Amazon. I have backups on Laptop etc.

I'm not dependent on the internet except to initially buy ebooks or gutenberg downloads. I've no need to "sync" either. A few words in search is faster than connecting two ereaders to someone else's server on the Internet and doing two syncs.

With NO line height for any body style you can use the GUI to set whatever line spacing suits.

Also only use old mobi for firmware older than 3.x.x
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:29 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've since sorted the line spacing in Calibre by adjusting the line height setting.

Still trying to work out how to make the mobi file when it reaches the kindle to have the proper line spacing like it does with purchased books.
All purchased mobis have 1.2 em line-height. If that's what you want, email it to your Kindle email address.

Hitch
Old 04-21-2022, 06:29 PM   #21
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Kindle apps and devices have multiple book renderers, each of which handles line spacing and font sizes differently. The majority of Amazon purchased books will use the KFX renderer. Books you email in MOBI format will use the older MOBI renderer. (You cannot email KFX.)

There is a third reflowable renderer for KF8 (AZW3) format, which produces different results from the other two. You could email a Master MOBI produced using Amazon's Kindle Previewer - not calibre - and that will give you KF8 on your Kindle but will still use MOBI on your iOS device. (KF8 is not supported by Kindle for iOS.) Reading position, notes, and annotations will sync between the Kindle and iOS app even though the formats are not the same, but you would lose the cover thumbnail image of the book on your Kindle.

Your choice of font will also affect the line spacing differently across renderers. That is just the way it is on the Kindle platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I don't think that that would be affected by the sideloading versus emailing. Gang? Y'all do that more than I do, with Calibre, etc.
Either emailing or sideloading a MOBI will yield the same rendering.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:10 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Kindle apps and devices have multiple book renderers, each of which handles line spacing and font sizes differently. The majority of Amazon purchased books will use the KFX renderer. Books you email in MOBI format will use the older MOBI renderer. (You cannot email KFX.)

There is a third reflowable renderer for KF8 (AZW3) format, which produces different results from the other two. You could email a Master MOBI produced using Amazon's Kindle Previewer - not calibre - and that will give you KF8 on your Kindle but will still use MOBI on your iOS device. (KF8 is not supported by Kindle for iOS.) Reading position, notes, and annotations will sync between the Kindle and iOS app even though the formats are not the same, but you would lose the cover thumbnail image of the book on your Kindle.

Your choice of font will also affect the line spacing differently across renderers. That is just the way it is on the Kindle platform.

Either emailing or sideloading a MOBI will yield the same rendering.
Right, but if memory serves--and I admit, I'm reaching back--I had this customer that was obsessed about line-heights. He'd had a formatter BEFORE us that delivered 1.0em line-height files to him--never telling him that they'd be auto-converted to 1.2ems, the moment he uploaded them at KDP. I had to demo it for him about 10x, before he'd believe me.

But my point is, he was able to sideload that mobi (dual, what we called KF8 .mobi) to his own Kindle and 'see' his desired line-heights without any trouble. That's why he was convinced that we were incompetent--after all, his other formatter "got it right." (sigh).

Hitch
Old 04-22-2022, 08:48 AM   #23
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But my point is, he was able to sideload that mobi (dual, what we called KF8 .mobi) to his own Kindle and 'see' his desired line-heights without any trouble. That's why he was convinced that we were incompetent--after all, his other formatter "got it right." (sigh).

Hitch
The new line height should be honored if a Master MOBI is emailed and then is read on a device that supports KF8. Emailing a book to your own account to create a personal document should avoid the changes made during the publishing process the same as if the file was sideloaded.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The new line height should be honored if a Master MOBI is emailed and then is read on a device that supports KF8. Emailing a book to your own account to create a personal document should avoid the changes made during the publishing process the same as if the file was sideloaded.
Well, I have to confess, I never tested it beyond realizing what had happened, in the infamous "my last formatter was competent and I thought you guys knew what you were doing" debacle of line-heights. He sent me screenshots from his newer Fire, and I finally got it--what had happened. He'd said he'd sideloaded it, via USB and I could see the results with my own eyes. I didn't bother testing it to figure out HOW, because from my viewpoint, it didn't really matter--the end result, for the published book, was still going to be 1.2ems.

So--if I understand you--you're saying that if you create a 1.0em-line-height mobi file and either a) email it to your own Kindle email account, or b) sideload it via USB or c) sideload it via WiFi like Doubloo (sp?), all of those will honor the 1.0em,and not automagically convert to the 1.2em?

Really? I could have sworn that somewhere in time, I saw an emailed file (via PDoc) change, but crap, now I'm going to have to test it the next time I have time.

Hitch
Old 04-22-2022, 10:31 AM   #25
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So--if I understand you--you're saying that if you create a 1.0em-line-height mobi file and either a) email it to your own Kindle email account, or b) sideload it via USB or c) sideload it via WiFi like Doubloo (sp?), all of those will honor the 1.0em,and not automagically convert to the 1.2em?
You are correct. You cannot get a Kindle app or device to display a line height less than 1.2em because the KF8 renderer will not allow it. It doesn't matter which method you use, you can only increase the line height.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #26
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

To demonstrate the issue of differing line spacing across Kindle formats I created an EPUB with large paragraphs of nonsense text. I used no styling so that the default line spacing would apply. I converted it to MOBI, KF8, and KFX formats for testing.

I side loaded the three formats via USB to my Oasis 2 running the latest firmware 5.14.3.0.1. The display settings were font size 7, no boldness, narrow margins, and medium line spacing.

Selecting the various built-in fonts yielded a different number of lines of text per screen depending on the font and format, mostly reflecting different line spacing on the screen. For KFX format there were always 18 lines displayed regardless of the font chosen. For KF8 most fonts also yielded 18 lines, however there were 19 shown when Helvetica was selected as the font. MOBI showed more variation with either 22 or 24 lines displayed depending on the font chosen.

The results for the Helvetica font are shown in the attached image. They are from left to right: MOBI, KF8, and KFX.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshots.png
Views:	185
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	193877  

Tags
email, ios, kindle