Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Feature request / Good idea for future versions of Calibre

hi guys,

I read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi and so I have many books in the same series. I'd love to see a collapse menu to organize books in a series.

Basically, the main library pane would be exactly how it is, except if a set of books has been designated to be in the same series (let's take GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire as an example), it would automatically compact the entire series and make the item bold indicating that this is a series with a collapse button to open up all the books as a sub-menu.

Here's a crude mockup, it's the best I could do and I hope it gets the point across:

Fahrenheit 451-------------------------Ray Bradbury
The Forever War-----------------------Joe Haldeman
[+]The Farseer Trilogy-------------Robin Hobb
[+]Song Of Ice And Fire------------George R.R. Martin

Ok, now I want to expand the series and check out a specific book:

Fahrenheit 451-------------------------Ray Bradbury
The Forever War-----------------------Joe Haldeman
[+]The Farseer Trilogy-------------Robin Hobb
[-]Song Of Ice And Fire------------George R.R. Martin
-----------[1]A Game of Thrones-----------------George R.R. Martin
-----------[2]A Clash of Kings--------------------George R.R. Martin
-----------[3]A Storm of Swords-----------------George R.R. Martin
-----------[4]A Feast for Crows------------------George R.R. Martin

What do you guys think?
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

shameless self bump

would love some feedback (just lemme know if it's a bad idea or if something in calibre makes it unnecessary)
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It is an interesting idea, and not at odds with calibre's philosophy, at least as I understand it.

Unfortunately, it would be a royal pain to implement. The table widget that calibre uses does not support row collapsing, so it would need to be done manually. In addition, it would only work when the display is sorted by series.

If I were going to consider building something like this, I would probably permit collapsing the display based on the current sort column. That way I could collapse by series, author, rating, publisher, what-have-you. It wouldn't make much sense to collapse by title, but it would be possible. Tags would be a problem, but single-valued text custom fields would work well.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm note entirely clear on the use case for this. If you want to see what series are in your collection, use the Tag browser. What would be the point of seeing the first book in every serries in the book list?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The main use would be to see 'more' in the library screen. For example, if I sort on, and collapse on, authors, then I can quickly scan the library for what I am looking for. Same for series. The idea is similar to what one finds in, for example, development environments where I can collapse functions and classes to get a better picture of the organization.

I freely admit that doing so would provide almost the same functionality as the tag browser. I also freely admit that I am not volunteering to build it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
rahulm
Zealot

Yeah, what chaley just said.

It wouldn't be a replacement for the great tag browser, but more of a way to make the entire library a bit more visually appealing and more organized, at least to me.

It doesn't display the first book in the series, but rather the name of the series. Upon expanding that entry, you get the entire book list.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, unless you're volunteering to developing a grouping table display widget, this is not likely to ever get done
Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
rahulm
Zealot

No worries, was just putting it out there. Thanks for the great app.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well, unless you're volunteering to developing a grouping table display widget, this is not likely to ever get done

@kovidgoyal

Okay, where would one go to learn how to do it?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There's no place that will teach you how to do it explicitly, but since calibre uses Qt, you will have to subclass the QTableView class to implement this functionality. Qt is open source so the best place to start is to read the source code (C++) for the table view class.