Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #16
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
If it's just kfx drm, unless/until Amazon starts providing USB downloads in kfx format, it doesn't really matter.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
If it's just kfx drm, unless/until Amazon starts providing USB downloads in kfx format, it doesn't really matter.
Even if they do that, those that keep a kindle registered that doesn't support KFX will still be pretty much OK.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #18
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Even if they do that, those that keep a kindle registered that doesn't support KFX will still be pretty much OK.
I think that the biggest concern is that Amazon might make more books only available in KFX format. That is true now for Arabic and Indian language books.

If they made more newly published books be KFX only then it would be difficult to avoid. At some point they may decide to cut off the older devices from the latest books if they really become serious about enforcing DRM.

I doubt that will happen, but I am staying alert to signs of where Amazon might be heading.

Last edited by jhowell; 12-15-2018 at 10:53 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:18 PM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I agree that the long term trend does not look good.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #20
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I just wanted to add that the choice may be publisher-driven.

Amazon may be tired of receiving complaints from some publishers about the ineffectiveness of their DRM. They might in the future allow publishers who want stronger DRM to have their books only be made available in KFX format. That would cut them off from access to customers with older devices, but some publishers may believe that it's worth it. Publishers of expensive school textbooks, for example.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It would be a change which would be completely unnoticed by the overwhelming majority of Kindle users, who buy books at Amazon and read on a Kindle device or app. People who want to convert formats are probably an infinitesimal minority of Amazon's customer base, and I doubt that their wishes have any bearing on the commercial decisions Amazon make about bookselling. Amazon will do whatever they feel is in their best commercial interests.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #22
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a friend with the original Kindle. It's been at least a year since I helped him put books on it. The 3G, of course, doesn't work since Amazon changed that. But we were able to buy him some books, download them and transfer it to that Kindle.

I don't know that that still would work but my guess is that it would. Amazon has been real good so far about making sure their books work on old devices. Changing everything to a new DRM or format would end that. My guess is that even though there aren't that many older devices around there are enough that it could turn into a gigantic support problem for Amazon.

I'm just guessing but I'd be surprised if that happened in the foreseeable future.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #23
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It would be a change which would be completely unnoticed by the overwhelming majority of Kindle users, who buy books at Amazon and read on a Kindle device or app. People who want to convert formats are probably an infinitesimal minority of Amazon's customer base, and I doubt that their wishes have any bearing on the commercial decisions Amazon make about bookselling. Amazon will do whatever they feel is in their best commercial interests.
I am curious what other book vendors you use that you can use Calibre (ie remove DRM as necessary) and use on your Kindle?

thanks
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
I am curious what other book vendors you use that you can use Calibre (ie remove DRM as necessary) and use on your Kindle?

thanks
The main non-Amazon retailers I buy from are Baen and Kobo.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:44 AM   #25
dpk
dpk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
I was hoping this update would fix the problem of disappearing books introduced with 5.10.1. Unfortunately, after updating my Voyage, I still have the issue of books not showing up when I switch from sorting by Recent to Author in list view. So frustrating! The books are still on the Voyage, just not showing up in various views.

I de-DRM all my books via Calibre and Apprentice Alf and sideload via USB. Not sure if that makes any difference. This never happened before 5.10.1.
@ElspethB

Can you please help sharing how you do de-DRM? Step by step guide would be helpful as I'm a novice calibre user. Thanks many for the help!
dpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:09 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk View Post
@ElspethB

Can you please help sharing how you do de-DRM? Step by step guide would be helpful as I'm a novice calibre user. Thanks many for the help!
Our site rules prohibit providing such information. You’ll find it at Apprentice Alf’s Blog.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:12 AM   #27
sakurako
sakurako began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
I do really love the updating as I can enjoy all new features of my Kindle books, but I'm really frustrated when I failed to remove the DRM from my Kindle Paperwhite 4 device.
sakurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:30 AM   #28
sakurako
sakurako began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
I'm curious about the new KFX format and new DRM too.

It seems like Amazon has unofficially released their new technology of the KFX books. Now nobody can help remove the DRM from Kindle for PC/Mac 1.25 and Kindle Firmware 5.10.2.
sakurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #29
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
For the french version, in the table of contents, the word "Couverture" (cover) has been changed for "Étui" (case). Is it the same for the english version?
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:32 AM   #30
akikara
Enthusiast
akikara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioachim View Post
Now live for all devices except Oasis1 and PW3 (without anything actually new):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529680
I have Kindle Touch (4th Generation). Can I apply this firmware?
akikara is offline   Reply With Quote