Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-09-2015, 07:56 AM   #1
jaekqubp
jaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Microsoft Surface Pro, Kindle Fire 2015 (KFFOWI), Nook Simple Touch
$99 Kobo Aura or Kindle Paperwhite

Both are on sale for $99 through Sunday. Which are you getting (or would you like to get) and why?
jaekqubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'd ignore the Aura and wait for the Glo HD instead (if its not already available for you), simply because the screen of the Aura isn't as good as it should be.

That apart, depends what you want from your ereader. If you aren't that fussed over having tons of control over how many fonts you can use, margin settings etc, and are happy with half a dozen settings as options, and want an ereader you can simply pick up and read happily on with no fiddling, then get the Paperwhite. If you'd like More control over how your books look (fonts, margains etc) then go for the Kobo as it has a ton of customisation options.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekqubp View Post
Both are on sale for $99 through Sunday. Which are you getting (or would you like to get) and why?
I have a Kobo Aura and a couple of Kindle Paperwhites, the Paperwhite 1 and 2. I think the screen on the Paperwhite is considerably better when comparing them. The smaller size and weight of the Aura make it a lot easier and more comfortable to hold while reading, and they have the same screen size.

The Aura gives you finer control over fonts but no matter how much controlling you do the Paperwhite text is better and the screen has more contrast.

The problem is that when reading with them, as opposed to comparing them side by side, whichever I'm reading with seems perfect.

My suggestion is to toss a coin.

However, if you plan to also buy the books from the device's supplier then I'd get the Paperwhite. Amazon has a better store and much better prices.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Kobo is a flexible device that can be customized in many ways (Coolreader, browse books by directory, notepad type app), as well as having some really impressive font-customization options.

The PW2 is a nicer piece of hardware and probably faster, but the software is locked-down tight and the viewing options are absurdly minimal.

It depends on what you use it for.

Last edited by Rizla; 05-10-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:16 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The PW2 is a nicer piece of hardware and probably faster, but the software is locked-down tight and the viewing options are absurdly minimal.
It's a device for reading books on; most people don't need a vast number of viewing options. To my mind, the Kindle offers an entirely acceptable range of font and size choices. I've owned both Kindles and Kobos and never personally felt the greater selection options on the Kobo to be of practical benefit, although perhaps some people do feel otherwise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Kobo Aura HD (refurbished) was on sale for 80 CAN$ + shipping and tax in Canada a few days ago. Aura H2O has also been on sale.

Kobo Arc 16G, 32G, 64G refurbished or new have been sold for 60, 70 and 90 CAN$ + tax for a long time in various outlet stores.

Last weekend I got a Kobo Arc 16G brand new with 3 months warranty from a warehouse for 60 without tax. So far pretty happy with it. After rooting and installing Adaway, Go Launcher and Flash Player, I have to say it provides a much better android experience than that on my old small phone or the android system forced into my Aura HD. Good for reading subscribed news/web articles, emails, free online videos, audio books, and cam apps like skype. For reading books, Aura HD is still more comfortable. I don't feel comfortable putting the Arc too close to my face when I don't wear glasses but with the Aura HD I have no concerns as I don't need the wifi on the Aura and the screen is not bright. One can easily lower the brightness on the Arc, or change contrast/use night mode but it is still not as soft. For most apps (I don't play games) and reading large-sized epub books with a lot of notes to jump to, Arc is a winner, well, at least for the price I paid.

Last edited by jshzh; 05-20-2015 at 04:18 PM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I might be prejudiced, based on my mysteriously failing Kobo Aura HDs, but I'd stay away from Kobo.

Amazon stands by its product a lot better, the Kindles I've had are noticeably better made than the Aura HD and Kobo's customer service is terrible.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Then there's this. I could not in good conscience buy from Ratuken. At least amazon mostly only exploit their workforce.
http://eia-international.org/rakuten...ory-whale-meat
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Well, I bought my Aura HD for 120$ 6 months after it was launched. I felt that the screen was not as even as I expected so I contacted the customer service. They sent me a new one but I found the screens were similar so I sent back the new one. They paid shipping both ways. I guess if you are in Canada, the service is still there. Canada Post's shipping rate is an international joke so I did appreciate Kobo's service.

I don't want to advertise for any brand, no loyalty here, but since Kobo Arc was discontinued and so will be all their products, I don't mind supporting it a bit. Their design and material don't look cheap and the specs are above decent.

Amazon changed its listed price for a book a few days after I put it in my cart so that the discount looked deeper. They didn't know I remembered the original listed and on-sale price, which was cheaper than the newly-"reduced" one. I eventually bought the book from any website. I will stay away from business like this whenever I catch it. BTW, the book was not a popular one at all so I am pretty sure there was a trick built in their online pricing system to lure potential customers. It is okay but like an insult for my IQ, lol, as they say.

And with all the fake product reviews? I still read online reviews but mostly for fun. Who will post 50 product reviews a day if they are not paid, regardless of the stars? Manufacturers do it. Amazon also does it. To be fair, as a big business, Amazon does have good customer service. I agree.

Last edited by jshzh; 05-20-2015 at 08:17 PM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Then there's this. I could not in good conscience buy from Ratuken. At least amazon mostly only exploit their workforce.
http://eia-international.org/rakuten...ory-whale-meat
Rakuten != Kobo.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:35 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
Amazon changed its listed price for a book a few days after I put it in my cart so that the discount looked deeper. They didn't know I remembered the original listed and on-sale price, which was cheaper than the newly-"reduced" one. I eventually bought the book from any website. I will stay away from business like this whenever I catch it. BTW, the book was not a popular one at all so I am pretty sure there was a trick built in their online pricing system to lure potential customers. It is okay but like an insult for my IQ, lol, as they say.
If you want to feel your intelligence is being insulted, go right ahead.

Me, I think Amazon is well-known for constantly-changing algorithmic pricing, as they work to maximize sales.

And I don't believe Amazon sets the list price... they set their own sales price.

Quote:
And with all the fake product reviews? I still read online reviews but mostly for fun. Who will post 50 product reviews a day if they are not paid, regardless of the stars? Manufacturers do it. Amazon also does it. To be fair, as a big business, Amazon does have good customer service. I agree.
Oh, do you have some sort of evidence to indicate that any particular group of reviews are false? I am sure Amazon would love to hear about it -- they don't like fake reviews either.

Book nerds love talking about books, whether reviews or not, paid or not.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:32 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
amazon change prices constantly, often by large percentage swings. Having item in basket is no protection. Having item on wish list will let you see when price has dropped, as they say price dropped by x since you added it; they are less forthcoming with price rises. I dithered over a disc silencer gizmo for PC that went £16 - £24 - £16 - £24 regularly as stock levels went up & down. I've seen kindle books go from 0.99 to 6.99 and point in between over just a few days. Patience is advisable if you are building a collection & want to do it cheaply.

there is useful freeware - amazon price watcher - that will price track specific amazon items for you & alert you to falls. there is also reader IQ alert that does a similar thing for Kindle books

there is plenty of 3rd party evidence of paid for reviews, and of folks voting books up /down in line with their religious beliefs rather than on content. no easy way to block either activity. Pick any controversial tome & go inspect the 1 star reviews

I reckon that as a pretend author you could find where to buy reviews online almost as fast as you could find where to download pirate copies. Google has no conscience. I just typed in "buy book reviews"- there is no shortage of links...
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:51 AM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Oh, do you have some sort of evidence to indicate that any particular group of reviews are false? I am sure Amazon would love to hear about it -- they don't like fake reviews either.
Amazon recently pursued fakes reviews in court.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #14
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
I personally think it's pretty easy to spot the fake reviews. Who but the author's mom would give 5 stars to a 99 cent book where not even the book description can pass the "Grammar/Spelling Stink Test"? I mean, Mom is just happy that junior could actually stick to a project long enough to carry it to completion, and maybe that means He/She will actually move out of her basement. To her, that god-awful book is a triumph!

As far as reviews of more substantial manufactured products, simply ignoring the unrelentingly positive or unrelentingly negative reviews gives a fairly accurate view of product quality, I think. I've not felt misguided by using this strategy.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 05-21-2015 at 07:30 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I might be prejudiced, based on my mysteriously failing Kobo Aura HDs, but I'd stay away from Kobo.
Once again, Sonist, your Kobos didn't "mysteriously fail", they had broken screen substrates.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote