Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Amazon exposed customer names and emails in a 'technical error'

Has anyone received an email from Amazon telling you that your name and email address was exposed? The email looks suspicious to me. It says no need to change your password and the bottom has a link to Amazon without https and Amazon is capitalized in the link. I didn't get one.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/21/amaz...cal-error.html

Quote:
In a statement, Amazon said, "We have fixed the issue and informed customers who may have been impacted."

Despite the exposure, Amazon told the affected customers they did not need to change their passwords. But even with just their names and emails exposed, people could attempt to reset their accounts or target their emails for phishing attacks.

Amazon did not answer questions about how many customers were affected by the error nor about how long information was exposed. Amazon's website and systems were not breached, an Amazon spokesperson told CNBC. The company did not say where the customer information was visible.

Here's the email: Click image for larger version

Name:	DshyY9jUcAU76BQ.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	167877

Last edited by Purple Lady; 11-21-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Yep!
They don't say ho or where the expose happened.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sounds hinkey. "We exposed your name and email address. There's nothing you should do at this time. Please go to this unsecured URL for more info. Thanks."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air & Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sounds hinkey. "We exposed your name and email address. There's nothing you should do at this time. Please go to this unsecured URL for more info. Thanks."
The email I received looked weird, but it actually appears legit. One, there wasn't a link to click for more information. Two, the email was apparently sent from an Amazon.com email account. Unlike most scams, there isn't anything that obviously indicates it's a scam like the email coming from Amazon.org or another email address that clearly isn't owned by Amazon.

The odd thing about the email I received is that it didn't contain any graphics, like Amazon's logo. I know Outlook didn't strip them out, they weren't there in the first place. That's odd for a corporate mass email.
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #5
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air & Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Has anyone received an email from Amazon telling you that your name and email address was exposed? The email looks suspicious to me. It says no need to change your password and the bottom has a link to Amazon without https and Amazon is capitalized in the link. I didn't get one.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/21/amaz...cal-error.html

Here's the email: Attachment 167877
I got one early this morning (US East coast time.) I was originally really thrown off at this plain looking email. Amazon's logo isn't even in it.
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still seems... off in some way. Has the security breach been mentioned on any of the regular news outlets? I can't see them passing up this opportunity.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #7
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Still seems... off in some way. Has the security breach been mentioned on any of the regular news outlets? I can't see them passing up this opportunity.
If you look at the quote from the link to CNBC on the 1st post it says that Amazon did say that they fixed the problem and notified the customers.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #8
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Here's all that Google news brought back. It includes wall Street Journal, CBS, and others.

https://news.google.com/stories/CAAq...S&ceid=US%3Aen
Old 11-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

If it's real, it's real. *shrug*
I'm just surprised there's not more outrage and calls for Bezos' head from the Amazon's-the-devil society.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:24 PM   #10
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
I'm just surprised there's not more outrage and calls for Bezos' head from the Amazon's-the-devil society.
Eh, school shootings every week and our information being tossed around like candy by everyone with access.

Recently in China, Tencent was given a complete registry of Chinese citizens.. nothing really qualifies as 'shocking' anymore. You can either shrug it off and enjoy the conveniences of modern society, join an activist group knowing that you are fighting a losing battle or... jump? :P

I choose to make the best of it and snag my crumbs where I can.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:59 PM   #11
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
I am not passive but I try not to get angry about things I cannot fix. I like to discuss injustices I observe and the malpractices I perceive... I do it to a fault sometimes even before an idea has coalesced into anything coherent. But so many people are just angry and they want to break things without having any idea of how they will replace or fix them.

Last edited by Pizza_Cant_Read; 11-22-2018 at 10:59 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #12
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I didn't get the email, at least not yet, but it was a legitimate email according to many news sources. I hate it when companies get tight lipped over these breaches and take days, weeks, and even months to finally let us know how bad the breach was and how many customers got rear-ended.

T-Mobile did that a couple of years ago. It started out being a very limited number of customers who had data breached, but over time that estimate grew steadily and exponentially until the truth was finally admitted and their were millions of us who were effected. They still claim my account wasn't breached, but soon after the breach and continuously until this day I have been getting gillions of unsolicited phone calls all coming with fake caller IDs used by T-Mobile in my area.

The only good thing in this breach is that it involves Amazon, which tends to protect our data. Google and Facebook on the other hand will gladly sell your data to the highest bidder. Too bad we cannot have good old fashioned tar and featherings applied to entire corporations like they used to do to individuals.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
It’s real, I got the email. I’m in the UK.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
It’s genuine
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
It’s real, I got the email. I’m in the UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
It’s genuine
But it looks really bad. Sort of like the IRS or Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs actually started sending legal notices by e-mail and worded them like a Nigerian prince scam.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote