Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
October 2017 Discussion: Bucky F&%@ing Dent by David Duchovny (spoilers)

This is the place to discuss the fascinating October 2017 MobileRead Book Club selection, Bucky F&%@ing Dent by David Duchovny. What did you think? Discuss whenever you’re ready.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When does this actually become funny?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
What do you mean?
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
What do you mean?
The topic is humor and I'm reading Bucky F&%@ing Dent yet so far I'm not finding it funny.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Sorry folks, I'm going to have to pass this month. I can't get the book from my library, and I'm just not interested enough in this book to spend $10 on it. OTOH, I intend to read England, Their England at some point, since it's both free and sounded interesting.

Last edited by CRussel; 10-15-2017 at 03:17 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Sorry folks, I'm going to have to pass this month. I can't get the book from my library, and I'm just not interested enough in this book to spend $10 on it. OTOH, I intend to read England, My England at some point, since it's both free and sounded interesting.
From what I've read so far, you're not missing anything.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I thought I'd try the audiobook and I'm next up at BPL; I'd hoped it would become available a little sooner, especially as I polished off my last audiobook this morning.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I was interested in the book because the plot summary reminded me of Goodbye, Lenin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Bye,_Lenin!). When I read the first few pages (Mr. Planter) that got my buy in.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But is it funny?
Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
It's funny to me so far (I'm not that far in yet), but that doesn't mean it would be funny to everyone. I doubt that there is anything universally funny.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
It's funny to me so far (I'm not that far in yet), but that doesn't mean it would be funny to everyone. I doubt that there is anything universally funny.
How far in are you? The problem isn't that this book is lousy or not. The problem is that it's not funny when it was nominated for the category of humor. I'm like 1/3rd into it and I've not laughed or even cracked a smile once. So when does this become funny?

Can anyone tell me when it becomes funny or if it never becomes funny?
Old 10-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fox Mulder reading Bucky Dent has hit my shelf at BPL, so I'll be starting it as soon as I polish off my current listen (four more hours; nothing a spot of insomnia can't handle).
Old 10-18-2017, 05:38 AM   #13
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How far in are you? The problem isn't that this book is lousy or not. The problem is that it's not funny when it was nominated for the category of humor. I'm like 1/3rd into it and I've not laughed or even cracked a smile once. So when does this become funny?

Can anyone tell me when it becomes funny or if it never becomes funny?
It's not slapstick laugh out loud funny like Scalzi's 'Old Man's War, 'Hal Spacejock, or say a Stephanie Plum Book, but it's very humorous with a poignant story to boot. I don't know your age, but it probably helps to have lived through that time.

OTOH, I just finished Gentleman in Moscow, and will be doing my reread now of Bucky... BTW, Gentleman in Moscow was one of the best books I've read in a long, long time; it also has its humorous qualities.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I'm about an hour into it and I'm enjoying it. I like the wordplay and the nostalgia; it's bringing the 1978 Yankees back to me. The timing's good!

I will say that I don't think David Duchovny has done himself any favors by reading his own book, actor or not. I've listened to good narrations from some actors, but have yet to listen to an audiobook read by the author which I thought successful.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post

OTOH, I just finished Gentleman in Moscow, and will be doing my reread now of Bucky... BTW, Gentleman in Moscow was one of the best books I've read in a long, long time; it also has its humorous qualities.
I read Towles's Rules of Civility earlier this year and thought it awful, which put me off Gentleman in Moscow, which I had wanted to read. Did you read the earlier novel and did you like it? Because I'm willing to chalk it up to not having hit his stride yet, but not if it turns out I just don't like him.