Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
woodr2011
Enthusiast
woodr2011 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 34
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2015
Device: PC and laptop
How do I add image files to my library with thumbnails in the "cover" view?

Hi everyone,

I use Calibre to catalog my entire library of digital files (ebooks, documents, audio/video files, and images). How do I get the program to provide a thumbnail preview of an image file in the side panel where book covers are usually visible?

Secondly, is there a plugin that will download meta data and covers for Audio and Video files?

I have posted this question elsewhere but have never received a response.

Thank you for any information
woodr2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2015, 11:17 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
kovidgoyal's Avatar
 
Posts: 31,858
Karma: 8697816
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
Use the edit metadata dialog to change the cover of the record to the image file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
woodr2011
Enthusiast
woodr2011 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 34
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2015
Device: PC and laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use the edit metadata dialog to change the cover of the record to the image file.
Hi Kovid - That is one method, but it ends up creating a great deal of work when many photos are added. It also doubles the storage space by creating a copy of each photo for the cover.
woodr2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
kovidgoyal's Avatar
 
Posts: 31,858
Karma: 8697816
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
That is the best you are going to get, since calibre is not really designed for storing images. You could write a plugin for calibre that imports images and sets them as the cover of otherwise empty book records, but that is never going to be part of core calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 270
Karma: 1599498
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: none
One idea to cut down on the work, if you're willing to make a few adjustments to how you do things, is to zip up batches of photos into .cbz files and store those in Calibre instead of the individual images.

For instance, say you have a set of photos taken from your last vacation. Zip all the files from the vacation and add it to Calibre, and tag it however you want. The individual images from that collection would likely all have the same tags anyway.

When you add a .cbz file to Calibre, I believe it automatically sets the first image as the cover. You can view the .cbz file natively in Calibre or with your favorite comic book reader. Yes, I know it's not technically a comic book, but the reader won't care.

At the very least, I would recommend doing this for all your images that are easily grouped into collections like this. For the rest, there's not much you can do but what Kovid said above. But hopefully this will cut down on the work you have to do, as well as storage space from duplicated images.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 9,297
Karma: 7810051
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
One idea to cut down on the work, if you're willing to make a few adjustments to how you do things, is to zip up batches of photos into .cbz files and store those in Calibre instead of the individual images.

For instance, say you have a set of photos taken from your last vacation. Zip all the files from the vacation and add it to Calibre, and tag it however you want. The individual images from that collection would likely all have the same tags anyway.

When you add a .cbz file to Calibre, I believe it automatically sets the first image as the cover. You can view the .cbz file natively in Calibre or with your favorite comic book reader. Yes, I know it's not technically a comic book, but the reader won't care.

At the very least, I would recommend doing this for all your images that are easily grouped into collections like this. For the rest, there's not much you can do but what Kovid said above. But hopefully this will cut down on the work you have to do, as well as storage space from duplicated images.
to all of the above

I keep 'photo albums' cbz's in a separate physical library with its own set of custom columns. I view them with the Honeyview comic book reader.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
woodr2011
Enthusiast
woodr2011 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 34
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2015
Device: PC and laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That is the best you are going to get, since calibre is not really designed for storing images. You could write a plugin for calibre that imports images and sets them as the cover of otherwise empty book records, but that is never going to be part of core calibre.
Hi Kovid - I hear you. I am still new to the forums, so could you (or anyone) please recommend someone I could "hire" to write a plugin to handle my audio, video, and image files this way? I have the concept but not the coding/scripting skill to bring it to life. Thanks so much!!
woodr2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Add existing files" doesn't show all directories Ripplinger Sigil 5 02-23-2013 12:43 PM
Nook Color change the view in "Library" p3aul Barnes & Noble NOOK 3 12-27-2012 08:54 PM
KT "Ghost covers/files" again at 670 books, "stale" image entries in firmware VirgoGirl Kobo Reader 4 04-06-2012 03:10 PM
No "Folder view"? // Duplicate files ignored? Cyberman tM Kobo Reader 4 04-27-2011 12:13 PM
Problem with "Upload seperate cover thumbnails" on prs-950 ThR Devices 21 02-05-2011 03:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.