Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Paperwhite second gen - faster also for Wikipedia?

Hi guys, a quick point on which I'd be grateful to have input.

i have the Paperwhite 1 which I love - screen is great (third time lucky). The first model I got was 3G, although I returned it (hot pink area) and bought a wifi only model from Waterstones in Brussels.

I don't have a smart phone so out and about I don't have access to 'net if I'm not near wifi.

The one time I used the 3G option, other than to buy and load books, was in the National Portrait Gallery to check on the backgrounds of some of the somber chaps in ruffs - it was a delight to get more info from Wikipedia.

I truly felt the value of being able to get that additional background. But getting from page to page was really, really hard work. Some didn't load, some only half way, touching a link was useless, had to come out of Wikipedia and then go back in to get to where the link directed. A veritable pain in the buttocks.

Also, thinking about it, the links in the Amazon store (trolley icon) are also very slow to respond when checking out books.

So, my question is..... if the processor is faster in the new Paperwhite, will Wikipedia load more smoothly, or is the really laborious process of consulting it a function of the eink tech?

I'd be up for 3G if using Wikipedia would be smoother. I'm not talking about the five-year-long experimental browser which I feel rather fond of, although that's also like walking through porridge. Just the tab in dictionary option.

Long day, bit tired, am I making sense I wonder - no doubt you'll let me know.

Either way, greatly looking forward to getting new Paperwhite - wouldn't but for the fact that my aged mum was really enthusiastic about mine which has a really good screen. Not a blotch or whatever, in sight.

ONly question is to 3G or not to 3G

By the way, I've been wanting to say this for ages: Harry thanks for all your posts! Also the the guy in Holland with the samurai sword avatar, solid good sense. Loved the image you-with-the-samurai-icon posted when the Paperwhite 2 thread got onto screen issue, excellent! Can't remember your screen name - sorry. But thanks for a much needed laugh! Katsunami - that's you. (tidal wave of cats?)
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Would really appreciat it if someone with a Paperwhite 2 could tell me if the Wikipedia integration offers links within the Wikipedia page consulted and if those open quickly and smoothly?

Even better if the person kind enough to check had a Paperwhite 1 and could tell me if it is easier on the 2 or not?

Thanks
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert