Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Serif or Sans-Serif Preference?
Serif (with the small finishing strokes) 92 56.10%
Sans-Serif (without the small finishing strokes) 51 31.10%
Don't Care / Don't Notice 21 12.80%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2011, 02:52 AM   #46
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Interesting poll, thanks. As I understand it, we don't read words letter by letter, rather we recognise them by their shapes. I remember reading somewhere that our eyes actually scan along the tops of lines, and serifs are intended to aid this process. This reminds me of jumbled up words. For example, "Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe." [Source] So, perhaps scrambled words and misspelled words are easier to read in a serif font.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #47
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
For example, "Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe." [Source] So, perhaps scrambled words and misspelled words are easier to read in a serif font.

OMG - that looked like a text from my crackhead little brother ...
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #48
ramsey_isler
Enthusiast
ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ramsey_isler can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
I definitely prefer serif for eReaders, which is odd because I love sans on the web. I guess longer tomes of text are more tolerable with the added "character" of serifs.
ramsey_isler is offline   Reply With Quote