Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Exclamation Sony Reader - Mac users: Support needed

Calling All Mac Users...

Kovid Goyal's libprs500 is almost ready for prime time as a library manager for non-Windows-using PRS500 owners. The conversion features are in pretty good shape (especially for HTML conversion), but some GUI glitches remain to be fixed. This is great news for all Mac/Linux/FreeBSD/etc. users who don't want to run Windows.

So why am I calling Mac users in particular? Well... some of the remaining GUI glitches show up only on Mac OS X, and Kovid doesn't have access to a Mac machine for debugging. He can't fix the outstanding problems, because he can't duplicate them for debugging. An important additional piece that requires a Mac for development is a standard OS X installer for end-users who don't understand how to build from source in order to use the tools.

I'd like to arrange to provide a Mac for Kovid, so all of us Mac users can have a nice piece of library management software. I see two alternatives:
  1. Someone who has a spare machine around loans it to Kovid for a long-ish period of time.
  2. A bunch of us Mac users kick in some $$ (or Pounds, or Euros, or whatever) and buy an inexpensive used Mac that Kovid can debug on.
Obviously, the first choice would be ideal -- as long as the owner of the machine can afford to do without it for quite a while. Any volunteers? I don't have a spare machine (or I'd volunteer it), but I would be willing to cover shipping (up to $75) if someone else has the hardware.

The second choice requires raising money. I'll start the ball rolling by pledging $75. I figure that there's no point actually collecting any money unless and until enough people have volunteered to kick in enough money to do the job. Depending on model and prices, that'd be in the range of $275-400 or so. It has to be enough of a machine to run the Mac OS X 10.4.9 (at least), but need not be super-fast. In fact, if it's on the slow side, that'll lead to a leaner GUI implementation.

Xenophon

P.S. I originally posted this idea over in the "Reader Developer's Corner," where it has met with resounding silence. I guess that means either that no Mac users read that forum, or that no one else thinks it's a good idea. With this posting in the main forum, we'll find out which it is.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 06-01-2007 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Great idea - posted to frontpage ~Alex
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Or maybe we are all starving from the lack of money induced by our reader purchases (-:
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Hmmm, ok, I have an old iMac G3 that's running OS 10.3 that still works fine. I will have to check version, but if I can get it up to 10.4.9 I would be open to shipping it out....

But if that doesn't work, I would kick in some cash as well...I am loving the idea of a easy-to-install easy-to-use solution for the Reader.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I think older model Mac Minis can be had for cheap.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
I think older model Mac Minis can be had for cheap.
My quick surfing of eBay suggests that older model G4 minis can be had for about $200 plus shipping. That means we'd need pledges for another $160 (over and above my $75).
Advert
Old 05-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't forget the cost of the latest OS X on top of the cost of the computer.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Count me in.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I'll pledge $20
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:59 PM   #9
Xenophon
curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Don't forget the cost of the latest OS X on top of the cost of the computer.
I have an extra (original from Apple, not installed on any other machine, fully legal) 10.4 install disk I can donate to the cause. So that's covered.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #10
caro
caro began at the beginning.

Hi,

I have an ibook G4 800 mhz with OS X that I could lend out.

Let me know if it would be useful.

Thanks
Caro
caro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon

Caro -- That would certainly be useful! Do you have the shipping boxes for it? If you drop a PM to me and to Kovid, we can make arrangements. One of the key questions is "how long can you loan it for?" I'm guessing that a period of time like "all summer" or so is about right.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Certainly all summer will suffice to get v0.4.0 out the door.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #13
Xenophon
curmudgeon

Now for a quick status update:

MobileReader Caro is loaning his iBook (shipping expected today). I'm providing a licensed Mac OS X 10.4 (should have shipped today, but will actually go out tomorrow). I'm guessing that kovid should be on the air with the iBook sometime early next week.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This community never ceases to amaze me.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
People want good tools and will do whatever it takes to get them. I am pleased at the cooperation found here in the Sony forum.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote