Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Taking e-books to the beach - share your tips

A sunny day at the beach with sand in between your toes, the salty smell of the sea lingering in the air, and, of course, a good e-book in your hands. Heaven. Except... the beach and your e-book reader don't really make good partners.

What are some of your tips for enjoying e-books at the beach without the worry of sea water, sand or weather damage?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
A sunny day at the beach with sand in between your toes, the salty smell of the sea lingering in the air, and, of course, a good e-book in your hands. Heaven. Except... the beach and your e-book reader don't really make good partners.

What are some of your tips for enjoying e-books at the beach without the worry of sea water, sand or weather damage?
For some time now, PocketBook 360 has been my favorite for that.
With the "wrist turning" tune-up, you can turn pages with a slight movement of your wrist single-handedly.
I put it in a Zip-Lock bag for protection. Not perfect, but given the small screen not too much of a hassle either. As I don't have to press any buttons for turning pages, the bag isn't too much of a bother.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
With my second Sony that's not really a problem. You just switch the prepared Micro SD card, and that's it. If something happens to this Reader it wouln't matter much. I think it's a good idea to have a second Reader as a backup just in case. They are not that expensive anymore.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Ah, you folks who still have a working ozone layer (or very tough skin) amuse me sometimes... I can't think of anything worse than sitting in the sun reading for more than about ten minutes! Yowch.

Enjoy your northern summer.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Ah, you folks who still have a working ozone layer (or very tough skin) amuse me sometimes... I can't think of anything worse than sitting in the sun reading for more than about ten minutes! Yowch.

Enjoy your northern summer.
Typically, the actual sitting and reading is done under an umbrella or beach shelter.

OT: I just brought my ereader along. Had it it's usual case for transport. It's sturdy enough and cheap enough that I wasn't worried about anything but the water, and I just didn't bring it down near the surf.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I have typically used a ziplock bag or an older M-Edge Leisure case for sitting on the beach or around the pool

grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I read at the beach or on the dock all summer. My Kindle Keyboard is in a leather case, that's all the protection I've used for 3 years, so far so good. I do try and put it in the shade when I'm not using it since it gets pretty hot in direct sun.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Waterproof Kindle Paperwhite ($219)

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Zip Loc baggie here as well --- I try to remember to load some visual reference material for making sand sculptures.

I prefer taking the ereader to printed books or magazines, since I can just replace the baggie if it gets worn.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Nice!
But personally, I'm not really worried about water.
I'm more anxious about sun lotion or sweat or sand or dirt in general.
I'm not really worried about damaging the unit, but smearing all over it in a unique mixture of sand, sweat and oil.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
At the beach, I use the M-Edge Leisure Jacket with my Kindle Keyboard. Dual zippers make it easy to access the on/off switch, and there's a zippered pouch in the back.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's nifty, and makes me wonder why more cell phones and other devices aren't made more water resistant... I was just thinking yesterday about how nice it'd be to have a cell phone with no external ports that used wifi/3g/4g/bluetooth for syncing peripherals and had inductive charging. Such a device could be make completely sealed with no place for water or dust ingress and easily meet IPX8 standards.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Because most people don't need a phone while beeing underwater, maybe.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I usually take either one of my Sonys or the Aluratek to the beach. I transport it in its purchased case within a zip-lock bag to keep it dry in my tote bag. I take it out of the plastic bag to read, which is usually done sitting in a beach chair far enough away from the ocean's edge to avoid any splashes from either it or from passing wet bodies. I've been doing that for years.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Because most people don't need a phone while beeing underwater, maybe.
Not sure what your tone was there, but just in case you were sincere:

It would great if a phone could resist rain showers, and be kept conveniently and safely on your person on boat rides, jet skis, while vising water parks, and doing all those other outdoorsy things that keep us away from land lines in the first place. Heck maybe even while in the hot tub, etc.

That water proof Kindle is interesting...got to pay a premium for durability it seems.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote