Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 08:31 AM   #61
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
I'm not a fair judge of terrible books because I am merciless with the early chapters. I put them down when I encounter clumsy characterization, logical inconsistencies, clunky wordsmithing, etc. Some of the more popular books I have been unable to stomach include:

The DaVinci Code
Interview with a Vampire

I thought I could come up with a longer list, but my mind must be protecting me from the trauma!

Stephen King seems immune to my habits because he usually manages to hook me in. It's often later in his books that I get disappointed, but then it's too late, although there are a few book where the ending falls apart and I just stop reading, no longer caring.
(I actually did that with a book I was writing, once, which I suppose is not uncommon for early efforts).
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:37 AM   #62
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Iain M. Banks - The Wasp Factory
Its terrible in every sense of the word.

R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy is horrific as well. Starts out pretty good and gets worse and worse.

Vorkosigan saga by Bujold - its GREAT! If you are 13 years old. Otherwise it is childish and cheesy. If you are 13, Jules Verne is a much better choice and its free.

Assassin trilogy by Robin Hobb - dull and uninteresting fantasy at its best.

SF by C. J. Cherryh - long books without plot. It is just plain boring, I tried several books of her, but could only finish one - Downbelow Station, which was absolutely pointless with characters as flat as tabletop. At least its not too long.

Phule's Company by Asprin - wow, it is even more cheesy and childish than the Vorkosigan series. At the same time, it tries to be funny. It fails miserably.

These authors are now on my 'do not touch list'. (other books by Banks are readable, but I was not impressed. Bakker may get a second chance, his world was really interesting, too bad he botched the story)

Another book:
The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds. I really like his other books, but this one is very bad. Full of logical inconsistencies and contrived plot elements.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 05:57 AM   #63
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Iain M. Banks - The Wasp Factory
Its terrible in every sense of the word.
Wow! I think that's one of the best first-novels I've ever read.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #64
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
"The Little Book" by Selden Edwards.

It could have been good, but.... The protagonist, a hero-of-all-trades, is good, perfect and brilliant at everything he do - and we get told over and over and over again. Itwas sickening, and I didn't manage past the middle of the book.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #65
faolan
faolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud offaolan has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-505
Time for some thread necromancy for the heck of it:

It's been a while since I've read this one, but I think the worst book I ever read was one I was forced to read in high school for American Literature: "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Annoying, uninteresting characters plus a terrible plot. Out of all the books we could have read from the 1920s, I think they could have picked a much better title. I don't think I've ever come across something so overrated with maybe the exception of the "Twilight" series which is obvious religious propaganda once you understand the writers background and the really bad illusions she makes to the "Book of Mormon" (which, by the way, is a hilarious read).
faolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #66
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ooops - really old thread.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #67
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Well, yeah, but still a goodie.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #68
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Maybe, but some things never change ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #69
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I have a book in my reading history I'm going to throw in here: Her Last Death -- a memoir that I abandoned when I decided it had no redeeming value at all. Others loved it, but I came to feel its main "appeal" was the depths of the mother's depravity (gleefully presenting her daughter with a packet of cocaine for her 16th birthday, for instance); for the record, I liked "Running with Scissors"!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #70
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Recently...

Jon Clinch's Finn, which is about Huck Finn's father. It's an intriguing idea, and it got rave reviews, but I'll tell ya, Huck Finn's father is boooooooring. He's drunk, cruel, stupid, sometimes belligerent, and mostly drunk. And boring. And cruel, but somehow boringly so. Lots and lots of boring as this book went on.

The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan. Maybe I'm jaded. This started out reasonably okay, but it wasn't long before I started feeling like I'd read all the different parts of the story before, just, you know, in other books. And/or movies. It felt so much like a rehash that I could stay on top of the story just reading the first line of each paragraph. There was one saving grace in the whole thing: Abraham Setrakian. Give me a book about him, and leave all the other cardboard cut-out characters out of it. It's safe to say I'll be forgoing books two and three of the trilogy.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #71
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwlackey View Post
Recently...

Jon Clinch's Finn, which is about Huck Finn's father. It's an intriguing idea, and it got rave reviews, but I'll tell ya, Huck Finn's father is boooooooring. He's drunk, cruel, stupid, sometimes belligerent, and mostly drunk. And boring. And cruel, but somehow boringly so. Lots and lots of boring as this book went on.

I swear, you just channeled my sister and she's still with us - praise Jesus. She often cracks me up with her descriptions of things. I'm going to send this to her to give her a laugh.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #72
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'll probably get fussed at for this, but I think The Witching Hour by Anne Rice is just painful!!

My GoodReads review was as follows:
Quote:
After months of trying to slog through this book, I finally just gave up. It wasn't going to happen. Various components of the story were interesting, but as a whole it was just too much to wade through, without there seeming to be much of a point.
I really wanted to like the Witching Hour.... it has been on my bookshelf for years, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
I'm actually very disappointed.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #73
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'll probably get fussed at for this, but I think The Witching Hour by Anne Rice is just painful!!
I can appreciate how you might not like the style and pace of that story, it was a challenging read. But that is exactly why I rate that same book as one of the best books I've read. The second book in the series was good also, but I was dissatisfied with the conclusion of the trilogy in the last book. But the Witching Hour cost me a few late nights because I wanted to read 'just one more chapter'.

I guess that's why they make Fords and Chevys.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #74
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Primary Inversion by Catherine Asaro. It was free from Baen, thank goodness I didn't waste any money on it. The plot was just so unbearably trite. I think I actually read it based off of a recommendation from this forum!

I second the Witching Hour as well. I remember slogging through that book back in high school. It just dragged on....and on....and on... And usually I like Anne Rice.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #75
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I can appreciate how you might not like the style and pace of that story, it was a challenging read. But that is exactly why I rate that same book as one of the best books I've read. The second book in the series was good also, but I was dissatisfied with the conclusion of the trilogy in the last book. But the Witching Hour cost me a few late nights because I wanted to read 'just one more chapter'.

I guess that's why they make Fords and Chevys.
One would think that an author who can create such imagery could infuse that wonder and excitement into her actual story.

The scenery was gorgeous - I felt like I was there even though I've never been to Louisiana; the concept was very interesting (hence my buying the entire trilogy at one time), but the execution.......
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote