Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #46
sbin
Voracious reader
sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS T2, iPhone 6, Cybook Orizon, Cybook Gen3
I second everything said here about Twilight. I just wanted to know what all the fuss was about. I must say I haven't read a book so puerile and superficial since I was in kindergarden.

About Stephen King... I tried various books and the only one I'd save so far is The Shining. The worst of all: Hearts in Atlantis. Sometimes I did not even understand what he was writing about.

I recently tried Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison. Everyone was talking about it and it was recommended in so many places that I decided to give it a try, but I fell asleep before the end of the first chapter
sbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
With all the 'backlash' against the Twilight books here and elsewhere I've see, I'm wondering if they are actually hitting the target market. I would bet so, since they seem to be selling and making money. I think maybe that target audience is not the 'average' book reader/buyer, but maybe the non-book reader/buyer. It's more of a dumbing down and marketing than an attempt to create good (not even great) literature. In much the same say TV is playing to lowest common market.

An aside: As I was sitting on a park bench reading two walkers came by and were complaining about how hard some movie was to follow (unfortunately I didn't hear the name mentioned). The one lady was going, "I just wish they'd make it understandable! I don't want it too simple, but I don't want it to be confusing!"
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #48
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbin View Post
About Stephen King... The worst of all: Hearts in Atlantis. Sometimes I did not even understand what he was writing about.
If you ever read his 7 books series The Dark Tower and like it, then try to read Hearts in Atlantis between book 5 and 6 [The Wolves of Calla and Song of Susannah], or 6 and 7[Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower]? (I don't remember, sorry ) Maybe someone can help?
Also, Salem’s Lot between book 4 and 5 [Wizard and Glass and The Wolves of Calla]
You might change your mind
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #49
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
If you ever read his 7 books series The Dark Tower and like it, then try to read Hearts in Atlantis between book 5 and 6 [The Wolves of Calla and Song of Susannah], or 6 and 7[Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower]? (I don't remember, sorry ) Maybe someone can help?
Also, Salem’s Lot between book 4 and 5 [Wizard and Glass and The Wolves of Calla]
You might change your mind

I'm not sure I understand that....
Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #50
MaMiller
Author
MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was quietly lurking and reading this thread (because I am the quintessential shy, eccentric writer ) and just seeing a reference to "IT" gets me all nervous again. To this day, the sight of Tim Curry in the sewer gives me nightmares.
MaMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #51
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
The worst of all: Hearts in Atlantis. Sometimes I did not even understand what he was writing about.
Ahhhhh...I loved Hearts in Atlantis! Sometimes he makes references to past events in other books, sorta insider stuff that long time readers will 'get'. Maybe that's what you didn't understand? Anyways....it's interesting to see 'one man's trash is another man's treasure' as it applies to reading preferences!!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #52
Snowychik
Snowychik began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Beware!

Night Life (Nocturne City, Book 1)
by Caitlin Kittredge

So terrible I actually considered throwing it away rather than donating it so that no other innocent bystander would be injured while falling into plot holes.

Seriously, the positive reviews on LibraryThing start with: If you don't care much....
Snowychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #53
MaMiller
Author
MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My greatest fear is to see my own book on this thread! If so, I'm making a new 'paper bag over your face' smiley.
MaMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #54
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMiller View Post
My greatest fear is to see my own book on this thread! If so, I'm making a new 'paper bag over your face' smiley.

That thought has crossed my mind about authors in some the the book discussions that have come up..
Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #55
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlrigh View Post
Sony had City of Pearl, by Karen Traviss, book one of the Wess'Har series, available for free a while ago.

... avoid.
Couldn't disagree more. I really liked that whole series. I think she's a polarizing author, though - people tend to love her stuff or hate it, without much middle ground.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:09 AM   #56
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I just finished a multiformat read at Fictionwise that was terrible. It was called 'Permed to Death' and was about murder in a hair salon. The heroine was spunky, if a little stupid, and I would have enjoyed it except that it was riddled with typographical and editing mistakes (e.g. random dashes in the middle of sentences; the word 'die' where 'the' was intended, in at least five places; 'Marla' being written as 'Maria' etc). And furthermore, the ending was extremely sloppy, with a main character all of a sudden 'realizing' who the killer was, a few pages before the ending. This was one of the costlier multiformat books they have (although of course I got it on sale) and no WAY is it worth what they are charging. I have already emailed customer support about the numerous and obvious editing mistakes. I am hoping they'll issue me a refund. This book was of a completely unacceptable level of quality, especially given the high-ish sticker price.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #57
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I just finished a multiformat read at Fictionwise that was terrible. It was called 'Permed to Death' and was about murder in a hair salon. The heroine was spunky, if a little stupid, and I would have enjoyed it except that it was riddled with typographical and editing mistakes (e.g. random dashes in the middle of sentences; the word 'die' where 'the' was intended, in at least five places; 'Marla' being written as 'Maria' etc).
Those are common OCR errors; they must have scanned a hard copy to produce the ebook. Odd that an electronic version wasn't available...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #58
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentBEATS View Post
... Twilight series by Stephenie ... formulaic, cliched, and in terms of plot nothing really happened ... It only got worse ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
LOL. ... I made it through the first (barely), but could go no farther ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbournian View Post
... At best it was formulaic and predictable, at worst it was like the worst fanfiction that a 16 year old sex crazed catholic schoolgirl could write in her livejournal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentBEATS View Post
More like an overrated writer with a thesaurus and a need to sell her sexual desires to teenage girls, thus adding sparkly vampires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbin View Post
I second everything said here about Twilight ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
With all the 'backlash' against the Twilight books here and elsewhere I've see, I'm wondering if they are actually hitting the target market ...
Maybe it’s me, but there seems to be something a bit perverted about a man at least a hundred years old who has the hots for a teenager. I used to get the same vibe watching Buffy and Angel. Jeeze, Sweet Cheeks – this Angel guy was around when Washington was President. Don’t you think he’s just a wee bit old for you? Edward Cullen isn’t quite that old; only a hundred and some when he meets Bella Swan in Twilight. I guess when your main concern is folks who want to drive a stake through your heart, you don’t worry too much about how they’ll feel to discover you’re dating jailbait.

Perhaps the lead roles should have been played by Woody Allen and his wife/daughter Soon-Yi.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-14-2009 at 08:18 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #59
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Yes - like the tv series - Vampire Diaries - for one thing, why would anyone want to go back to high school? And, then what does a 200 year old vampire have in common w/ a 17 year old high school student? Ok, other than sex and then that's ugly too - he's old.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #60
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Started to read The Trial, by Kafka. It started out pretty terrible, but I thought I would give it a chance.

50% of the way through, it is still terrible, and I'm done with it.

Sorry for posting this in no less than three threads. But I sure can't see how this beat out any other books for Nov. Book Club. Someone must've registered for multiple accounts to vote this in.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote