Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
Littermate
Becalmed
Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Two Sony PRS505 (Breeding pair)
I almost hesitate to suggest anything at all by Guy N Smith in this thread.

Last time I said something less than enthusiastic about him I got flamed by a dozen fans. (Though I hasten to add NOT in these forums.)

He had a perfectly normal and highly respected Professor go from boring academic to murderous psychopath in the space of a few words, after finding something in The Wash (a coastal area of Norfolk in South East England, not a laundry.) Zero characterisation and zero literary qualities, and zero worth as far as I'm concerned. In his other life, I believe, Mr Smith is (was?) a goat farmer and grows his own tobacco, so I'm glad he's good at something.
Littermate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #17
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Oh....his early books are treasures.

You might want to put this one aside, and start with "The Stand",(end of the world) "salems Lot" (vampires, but great character development) or "Night Shift", a collection of short stories.

I didn't care for Bag of Bone either.
Thanks for the recommendations... I WILL put it aside, as I feel I'm wasting my time...

I've downloaded quite a few books from other recommendations from this forum, and will start reading one of those instead...

I'm working night shifts a the moment, and really need something that won't put me to sleep... I'm working with disabled people, and there's not at lot to do at night time, except monitoring.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #18
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Oh....his early books are treasures.

You might want to put this one aside, and start with "The Stand",(end of the world) "salems Lot" (vampires, but great character development) or "Night Shift", a collection of short stories.

I didn't care for Bag of Bone either.
Don't forget "Christine", "The dead zone" and "The shinning".

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I got so disguised with "South of Broad" by Pat Conroy -- bad dialog and contrived character interactions I just put it away after about page 50.... it's sad because I so loved Prince of Tides and Lords of Discipline ...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #20
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
The Lost Symbol. x number of hours of my life I will never get back again.
Ditto.

I recently finished The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry and disliked it. It was well-researched, but just kind of boring.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #21
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Sadly, I have to put Brian Lumley's "Necroscope" series up for abuse. I read the first four in the series. The author is very inventive, with fascinating plot details and yet another take on the vampire mythos. But the writing and characterizations are abominable and I remain amazed it was published. Maybe our tastes in prose changed since the late 1980's... but not that much!

Why did I read four of them? I guess I'm a masochistic reader who gives too much credit for inventive plotting.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #22
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I cannot finish one of the free eBook Classics I got from Sony called "The Schoolmistress and Other Stories" by Anton Checkov. It has several stories but got so boring I had to set it aside. I have half a dozen bookmarks on my reader still. There are so many interesting stories I'll probably never get back to it... I really liked Stephen King's "Nightmares & Dreamscapes" I had on pbook. But I got to the middle of the book and had to set it aside-it was just too scary to read at night, I believe "The Night Flyer" was the story. I did eventually finish it.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #23
psercki
psercki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600 and nook
The Stand is my favorite Stephen King novel.
psercki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #24
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
I read the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer out of some weird interest. After hearing so much fuss over them, I figured I would check them out.

I read the first book, and thought it was unremarkable. It was formulaic, cliched, and in terms of plot nothing really happened.

For some reason that provoked me to read the second, and the third, and just to finish it off I also read the fourth. It only got worse.

I blame myself for wasting my time, but seriously so many people (read: teenage girls) make a big deal out of them. I really thought they were terrible.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #25
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentBEATS View Post
I read the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer out of some weird interest. After hearing so much fuss over them, I figured I would check them out.

I read the first book, and thought it was unremarkable. It was formulaic, cliched, and in terms of plot nothing really happened.

For some reason that provoked me to read the second, and the third, and just to finish it off I also read the fourth. It only got worse.

I blame myself for wasting my time, but seriously so many people (read: teenage girls) make a big deal out of them. I really thought they were terrible.
LOL. My cousin (an adult) loved them, so I decided to try. You have more perseverance than I do. I made it through the first (barely), but could go no farther.

I blame myself as well, and for more than one reason. Sometimes, when someone (like my cousin) pressures me to read a book that I don't think I'll like I maybe sort of sometimes get it from a torrent site, which may or may not be what happened in this case. In my defense, if I had enjoyed the first book I would have purchased the others, so my "system" is a winner for good authors. Stephenie Meyer does not fall into that category.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #26
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Got all riled up by Dr. Drib's Zombie thread here, and went and read. "Autumn." Ugh. Shallow characters, all with the same voice. No character development or plot advancement. Not an ounce of intelligent behavior by any of the three "heroes." No wonder it's being made into a Hollywood film.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #27
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
LOL. My cousin (an adult) loved them, so I decided to try. You have more perseverance than I do. I made it through the first (barely), but could go no farther.

I blame myself as well, and for more than one reason. Sometimes, when someone (like my cousin) pressures me to read a book that I don't think I'll like I maybe sort of sometimes get it from a torrent site, which may or may not be what happened in this case. In my defense, if I had enjoyed the first book I would have purchased the others, so my "system" is a winner for good authors. Stephenie Meyer does not fall into that category.
I find that funny, because some of my cousins, and even some aunts loved the books. I too read them on their behalves. The only reason I managed to suffer through them all is because I deluded myself into believing that due to it's popularity it had to pick up at some point. I probably realized it wouldn't even before finishing the first book, but I guess I have a high tolerance for pain and bad books.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:49 AM   #28
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I read The Sea The Sea by Iris Murdoch with increasing distaste. It felt like an ode to superficial, one-note, dull, self-delusional egos (including one massive one that wore all these attributes) who I never cared about until I began to simply dislike them. Of course, this book is lauded by authors and critics far more intelligent and learned than me, so consider my shout of anti-recommendation a relatively feeble squeak. But don't read it - you'll hate it.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #29
melbournian
Colonial chapette
melbournian began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentBEATS View Post

I did this too. My teenaged sister is a huge Twilight fan. I don't know why I actually kept reading them; a lot of the time I spent reading them I was thinking 'I could be doing something better...like trimming my toenails or something'. At best it was formulaic and predictable, at worst it was like the worst fanfiction that a 16 year old sex crazed catholic schoolgirl could write in her livejournal.
melbournian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #30
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbournian View Post
.... that a 16 year old sex crazed catholic schoolgirl could write in her livejournal.
Now THAT sound like it could make a good story.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote