Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
icebattle
icebattle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, iPhone, N810
DOC to PDF conversion - font size issues

Hi all

I'm slavishly following the Sony supplied directions for converting DOC format to PDF. I'm using Gutenberg text files as source, pulling them into Word, printing to a PDF using PDFCreator.

It all seems to work fine, but the subsequent book on the Reader (PRS-500) is tiny, and I have to resize each page in turn.

Why doesn't the reader stick with the current size when turning the page? Or could it be something odd about the way I create PDFs?
icebattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You might be better off converting the word doc to html then to LRF in book designer. That will take care of the font issues. If not, you'll have to make the font massive in word to get them to be readable on PDF on the Reader.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Can't you set the page size in Word to be 9x12cm? If you set the right size, and if PDFCreator maintains it, you will be in WYSIWYG land...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebattle View Post
Hi all

I'm slavishly following the Sony supplied directions for converting DOC format to PDF. I'm using Gutenberg text files as source, pulling them into Word, printing to a PDF using PDFCreator.

It all seems to work fine, but the subsequent book on the Reader (PRS-500) is tiny, and I have to resize each page in turn.

Why doesn't the reader stick with the current size when turning the page? Or could it be something odd about the way I create PDFs?
Well I'm not answering your question directly, but if your using word to format text from PG, you might want to look at installing BookCreator and Calibre. BookCreator runs withing Word so once you edit/configure your text you can build an LRF with BookCreator. LRF is the native file to the SONY Readers so you'll end up with a better looking file and a faster performing file on the SONY Reader.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:32 AM   #5
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebattle View Post
Hi all

Not sure what you're seeing on the Sony - a page with lots of white space around it or little white space but everything in a tiny font. Those instructions suggest an 8 or 9 point font to start with, but 11 or 12 is probably better. What I do is set e.g a 12 point font in Word, 1mm margins, set page size in Word to 9 x 12cm, and print pdf also to a page size of 9 x 12cm. Comes out OK with little wasted space and a readable font size. Can be previewed in the Sony Reader software and changed if necessary.
bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert