Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
When to Recharge

Got a new 505 and noticed, after a week of steady use, the battery icon has reduced by one bar and wonder if I should recharge now or wait till it's more depleted.

Seem to recall that rechargeable batteries can develop a memory and that it's a good practice to let them drain way down before recharging them. Don't know if this is the case with the 505 and this technology or not.

Anybody have problems with this?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The 505 (and 500 for that matter) uses a LIon battery, they aren't susceptible to memory effects like the old-fashioned NiCd ones were. You're not likely to harm it by charging at 3 bars. Typically, I charge mine (500) when it gets down to 1 bar, but that's mostly because I don't care to charge it every week.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
One thing to keep in mind is that rechargeable batteries have a fixed number of times they can be recharged. That isn't the total number of full recharges, it's the number of times you put it on the recharger, period. So recharging when 1 bar down uses up one of those recharges just as much as waiting until 3 bars are gone does.

That's one factor that manufacturers of these devices don't always make public. Some such batteries can be recharged 300 times, some 1000 times, some 800 times. Sometimes manufacturers will make it known, such as Canon did with the battery I have in my new point-and-shoot camera. It'll recharge 300 times, so I certainly won't be recharging it every day!

So if you can recharge the Sony Reader once a month or so, you'll get many years out of it before the battery won't accept a charge any more. If you recharge it once a week, you'll reduce that number of years by a factor of 4.

Since I haven't seen any longevity numbers on the Sony Reader battery, I'm working hard to recharge only once a month. Of course, whenever you attach it to a computer to delete books or load some more books, it uses up a recharge cycle and you can't do anything about it.

Which is another argument in favor of keeping a large number of books on the reader, to reduce the number of times you attach it to a computer via USB cable. Also it is in favor of using a memory card and simply copying files using a card reader/writer.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that rechargeable batteries have a fixed number of times they can be recharged. That isn't the total number of full recharges, it's the number of times you put it on the recharger, period. So recharging when 1 bar down uses up one of those recharges just as much as waiting until 3 bars are gone does.

That's one factor that manufacturers of these devices don't always make public. Some such batteries can be recharged 300 times, some 1000 times, some 800 times. Sometimes manufacturers will make it known, such as Canon did with the battery I have in my new point-and-shoot camera. It'll recharge 300 times, so I certainly won't be recharging it every day!

So if you can recharge the Sony Reader once a month or so, you'll get many years out of it before the battery won't accept a charge any more. If you recharge it once a week, you'll reduce that number of years by a factor of 4.

Since I haven't seen any longevity numbers on the Sony Reader battery, I'm working hard to recharge only once a month. Of course, whenever you attach it to a computer to delete books or load some more books, it uses up a recharge cycle and you can't do anything about it.

Which is another argument in favor of keeping a large number of books on the reader, to reduce the number of times you attach it to a computer via USB cable. Also it is in favor of using a memory card and simply copying files using a card reader/writer.
Sorry DHBaily, that is inaccurate. This may be helpful to know.

When they are talking about charge cycles, they are referring to charging from completely empty to full.

When you regularly charge from 2 or 3 bars, you are actually extending the battery life. For example, if I charge the battery 2 times from half empty, that counts as 1 charge cycle.

If I charge it from 3/4 full to full, 4 times, those 4 quarter charges equal 1 charge cycle. It is suggested to every once in awhile deplete the battery completely and charge from empty to refresh the battery meters.

I learned this from researching around the internet about my first iPod's battery. With that Class Action Lawsuit against Apple, they had articles and websites about LIon batterys all over the place.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
paspas
Enthusiast
paspas began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
battery of my prs-505 has only 6 days of life .... and i'm from europe... bad luck.
paspas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Li-ion is not supposed to have any memory (unlike NiCd and NiMH). I had read a while ago that Li-ion batteries, unlike NiMH, are best cared for by never letting them run down too far before recharging. Anyone know if that advice is still true?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Li-ion is not supposed to have any memory (unlike NiCd and NiMH). I had read a while ago that Li-ion batteries, unlike NiMH, are best cared for by never letting them run down too far before recharging. Anyone know if that advice is still true?
I believe that is correct. And to further extend the battery life, I read that you don't want to keep it in hot temperatures.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
Sorry DHBaily, that is inaccurate. This may be helpful to know.

When they are talking about charge cycles, they are referring to charging from completely empty to full.

When you regularly charge from 2 or 3 bars, you are actually extending the battery life. For example, if I charge the battery 2 times from half empty, that counts as 1 charge cycle.

If I charge it from 3/4 full to full, 4 times, those 4 quarter charges equal 1 charge cycle. It is suggested to every once in awhile deplete the battery completely and charge from empty to refresh the battery meters.

I learned this from researching around the internet about my first iPod's battery. With that Class Action Lawsuit against Apple, they had articles and websites about LIon batterys all over the place.

Thanks for setting me straight -- there is still a finite number of recharge cycles but it's good to know that doing a partial charge isn't use a complete one of those cycles, so recharging one bar a week or once a month for all 4 bars makes no difference.

Now, has anybody read anywhere how many recharge cycles the Sony Reader battery can handle?
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not I, they're pretty closed mouthed about the battery.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's nice to have a reader with a user-replaceable battery .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Old 01-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Totally zen like !
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

You noticed!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Always do, you're pretty creative with those.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

BTW I hate being watched.