Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-10-2022, 09:32 PM   #1
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket eDge
Potential Issues Upgrading? from 3.21 :O

I run Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and I installed calibre from the repository. When things work, I'm the kind of person who doesn't necessarily "upgrade" just for the sake of upgrading. Apparently the version in the repository is 3.21 while the latest version is 5.38! Wow...

So, my question(s) is(are) is there any real reason to "upgrade"? And 2) if I do decide to "upgrade" would there be any potential issues of which I should be aware "upgrading" from such an older version to the latest?

Thanks!
rebeltaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:26 PM   #2
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
The structures in your library are in calibre version 3.
No problem upgrading from 3 to 5.
Just copy the installer from the official Calibre page in your terminal and you will have the latest version without problems
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2022, 07:32 PM   #3
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
The structures in your library are in calibre version 3.
No problem upgrading from 3 to 5.
Just copy the installer from the official Calibre page in your terminal and you will have the latest version without problems
Thank you!
Old 03-12-2022, 10:10 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
Thank you!
Do note that Calibre 5 Libraries are not backwards compatible to 3. BACKUP (metadata.db)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:12 PM   #5
rebeltaz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Do note that Calibre 5 Libraries are not backwards compatible to 3. BACKUP (metadata.db)
I appreciate that. After talking to some people on reddit, I think I'm just going to stick with 3 right now. It's working so no real reason to risk breaking it

Thank you, though!
Advert
Old 03-12-2022, 10:17 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I appreciate that. After talking to some people on reddit, I think I'm just going to stick with 3 right now. It's working so no real reason to risk breaking it

Thank you, though!
If you do not need a newer device driver or newer feature, why not stay
At some time, you will need to update. Best if the reason and need do not happen at the same time. (ie a new device or OS)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 03:09 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank you!
But do not update from the repository. It can be a nightmare. Upgrade from the Calibre website.

https://calibre-ebook.com
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 03:12 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
But one could try Calibre 4.23 and if that works, then move to version 5. That way if version 5 is not working, one can go back to 4.23 which is compatible with the version 5 database. It's a win-win.

The only thing to do is backup the configuration directory before upgrading.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-13-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 05:40 PM   #9
rebeltaz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But do not update from the repository. It can be a nightmare. Upgrade from the Calibre website.
Yeah... not a problem here. 3.21 is the "latest" in the Ubuntu 18.04 repository, so if I ever do decide to update calibre, the official website would be my ONLY option. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2022, 06:35 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yeah... not a problem here. 3.21 is the "latest" in the Ubuntu 18.04 repository, so if I ever do decide to update calibre, the official website would be my ONLY option. Thanks!
A lot of people have problems with the repository verion of Calibre. Also, 3.23 is the last version 3.

So yes, your repository is meh at best. It should have 5,28.
Old 03-13-2022, 06:43 PM   #11
rebeltaz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A lot of people have problems with the repository verion of Calibre. Also, 3.23 is the last version 3.

So yes, your repository is meh at best. It should have 5,28.
Honestly, my only grip with 3.21 is that there's no "read" checkbox for titles, but... that is a small inconvenience as worst. Otherwise, it's been working great for me.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:20 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Honestly, my only grip with 3.21 is that there's no "read" checkbox for titles, but... that is a small inconvenience as worst. Otherwise, it's been working great for me.
There isn't a "read" checkbox in any version of calibre. Or at least there isn't if what you mean is to mark a book as read. (I can't think of another meaning). How to record that books have been read has been discussed here many times with lots of different solutions. The simplest is to add a "Yes/No" custom column and change that when the book is read. The other ways depends on what info you want store about the books that have been read.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:31 PM   #13
rebeltaz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The simplest is to add a "Yes/No" custom column and change that when the book is read.
That was exactly what I did
Old 03-16-2022, 08:20 PM   #14
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I plan to upgrade from Calibre 3.48 to 5.38 soon. I'm doing some testing now to make sure no surprises will pop up for me.

Does anyone here use "Calibre-Web" as their web presence for Calibre? Is it compatible with the new format of the Calibre database (this new format is something I just learned about while reading this thread) ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks
Note that "Calibre-Web" is NOT the built-in Calibre web server. This is a third party software that reads the Calibre database. I use Calibre-Web because I like the interface it provides better than the native Calibre server. My choice here may change when I do more testing of Calibre 5.38. Could be that this newer version of Calibre has a web interface that is better suited to my needs than the old one in 3.48. But for now, I'm planning on continuing to use Calibre-Web. I will do my own testing, but if there are known incompatibilities it would be good to know that up front.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:20 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've noissues with calibre-web and current calibre versions. I replicate my local calibre library to a raspberry pi with calibre-web on it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote