Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
You folks are READERS that Don't READ!

I posted this in another site Parenting Forum & I Got TONS of Parent saying they are Happy Amazon is taking these steps to Protect their kids!

You people are just UnReal
Post a direct quote from the article about unsafe toys, or Amazon removing unsafe items. You keep saying it's there and I haven't read it. Prove me wrong.

The article and the video have nothing to do with each other, except they are both about Amazon. The video is an ad / story from the Wall Street Journal, plopped into the middle of an article on MSN.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:35 PM   #17
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

I posted this in another site Parenting Forum & I Got TONS of Parent saying they are Happy Amazon is taking these steps to Protect their kids!

You people are just UnReal
You have now refused to back up your own claims with actual evidence from either the article or the video that Amazon has made these search algorithm changes to ensure the safety of shoppers.

You have failed to provide a shred of evidence that other store fronts do not remove merchandise which is dangerous.

You've now insulted those who disagree with your stance that these changes were made by Amazon for the greater good of the consumer.

And you've demonstrated an unwillingness to correct a misquote which entirely distorts the original intent of the message.

If you're so woefully unable to engage in a discussion perhaps stick to posting in those parenting groups with people who are equally unable to grasp what they have read.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 PM   #18
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
You seem to be the only one seeing the words you think are there.
The article is about Amazon changing their search algorithm to prioritise products that make them more money.
There is nothing about product safety there.
Searching the page for the word safety provides only one hit, which is the title of the video.
Did you post the right link?

Last edited by murraypaul; 09-16-2019 at 10:45 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:13 PM   #19
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
If this is bothersome to you, why not just ignore all the Amazon branded products in a search result? They'll be easy to find - they're all right there at the top!

My typical way of deciding on a product is to search for reviews OUTSIDE of any vendor website. If a site sells the products and also hosts reviews of them, it is always suspicious to me. So I'll find reviews on non-seller websites, pick a product from those, then go and see if Amazon carries it (if I want to purchase it from Amazon in the first place).

Did anyone really doubt that Amazon has always pushed items that make more profit for them? Of course they have been! Duh. Anyone who thinks this is some kind of new revelation is a few tacos short of a combo plate. HhheeeLLLLLLooo... anybody home in there?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:31 PM   #20
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
If this is bothersome to you, why not just ignore all the Amazon branded products in a search result? They'll be easy to find - they're all right there at the top!

My typical way of deciding on a product is to search for reviews OUTSIDE of any vendor website. If a site sells the products and also hosts reviews of them, it is always suspicious to me. So I'll find reviews on non-seller websites, pick a product from those, then go and see if Amazon carries it (if I want to purchase it from Amazon in the first place).

Did anyone really doubt that Amazon has always pushed items that make more profit for them? Of course they have been! Duh. Anyone who thinks this is some kind of new revelation is a few tacos short of a combo plate. HhheeeLLLLLLooo... anybody home in there?

Really the only surprise is that someone on their team admitted they recently tweaked it to make it do this to a higher degree
Advert
Old 09-16-2019, 11:46 PM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

Did anyone really doubt that Amazon has always pushed items that make more profit for them? Of course they have been!
I don't think it's Amazon's acting in Amazon's best interests that has been provoking the incredulity manifest in this thread. In my earlier post I described it as hardly earth-shattering news. As MGlitch says, the only possibly surprising aspect (uniquely idiosyncratic parsings aside) is the brazenness. As a very occasional Amazon customer for example, I was unaware of the point made in the very last paragraph (yes, I did read the WHOLE article) about the removal of "relevance" as a search option. Learning that had the neatly apt effect of removing the Amazon search option's relevance to me.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

I think the news part of this is that apparently they have some sort of memo and emails saying they are doing this when there is an anti-trust investigation going on. Not a good look, but likely leaked to the press by one of the parties involved in the investigations to put pressure on Amazon. Unfortunately that seems to be standard practice.

Yea, I agree with you. It's been kind of obvious that Amazon has been doing this for years. Heck, it's well know that both they and Google have been selling placement of search results for years. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you to find out that gambling has been going on at Rick's!
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you to find out that gambling has been going on at Rick's!
Your winnings, sir.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Yes, it's been highlighted before and it's totally obvious. I doubt it will stop. It makes it very hard to search for an item where Amazon either thinks they sell something related or like Google some product is sponsored. Google search is much poorer than some years ago for the same reason.

Also what products are on the landing page? Echo, Fire TV, Fire Tablet, Kindle.

Try searching for a Kobo, esp the Libra!

Amazon is out of control and riding roughshod over Competition, Tax, Consumer and Privacy laws.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_by_Amazon
"This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it."
Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook etc have issues too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ns_by_Alphabet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ns_by_Facebook

Last edited by Quoth; 09-17-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #25
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
FrustratedReader "Try searching for a Kobo, esp the Libra!"

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kobo+clar...nb_sb_ss_i_1_5
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #26
MGlitch
Wizard

Who wants to tell barb the first result isn’t a Kobo?
Old 09-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
When I search on an author, the first result is frequently some other author. I guess that the customers that they are extremely focused on are the advertisers.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #28
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
It is for me.
Not a Libra, of course, but definitely a Kobo. Three Kobo entries top the list for me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #30
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It is for me.
Not a Libra, of course, but definitely a Kobo. Three Kobo entries top the list for me.
For me, the very first results, right at the top, above all the Kobos, are Amazon's own products, covers for the kobo
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote