Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2019, 02:47 AM   #1
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Post kindle users, what are you using?

I switched to OLED android since the kindle was difficult to customize and the reader (even after jail breaking) was lacking. It made sense in 2009, but now battery life on phones is much bettter and the OLEDs get darker than eink at night. What devices do you use now and what is the most important factor for you? I choose the highest PPI OLED screen phones, use the volume buttons and shrink the font on the screen. This is a comparison of how much text I can fit versus the kindle, I read chapters in a few button clicks (about 13 on the kindle versus 1 on the phone). https://ibb.co/D8nT2gY
What are you using and why?
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:08 AM   #2
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Still eink, since 2011. No wish to switch to something else. I can't read small fonts and fitting the maximum amount of text on a screen isn't a priority for me, so no phones for book reading. Give me a 7'' eink screen and I'm content.

Last edited by Sirtel; 09-14-2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typo
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2019, 03:45 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
There was a time when I set my screens to tiny fonts, and I coded using dense code structure with minimal white space ... but those days are long gone. Now, give me a 7" to 8" e-ink screen for reading (and a 27" screen for coding! ) with plenty of adjustment so I can increase line spacing where needed (and I finally code according to standard rather than the tastes of a young man with excellent vision ... I do miss having excellent vision ).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:30 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I use a big iPad pro, mostly because I can read it without reading glasses and can set the fonts and colors the way I like.

Preach on about the 27 inch monitor!
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Whatever tablet or phone I have on hand.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
All my 'main' readers (started in 2010, 5" Astak), have been e-ink. The display quality has just gotten better.
Backlit is hard on my eye (now singular ) and is reserved for when needing color and/or manuals.

I find my latest, the Aura2, with its edge light, to be very easy to read on for longer periods (I still would like to ditch touch navigation. Big hands and no depth perception makes tapping precise places very hard. )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Your needs would seem to me to be rare. I can't believe you can read text that small comfortably, but different strokes.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Whatever tablet or phone I have on hand.
Lol, this. Some iPad+Marvin more often than not.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
What are you using and why?
Currently reading books on a Sony T2 and a Nook Glowlight Plus (6"), but the Tolinos have been getting a lot of my reading time. eInk readers are lighter and easier on my eyes.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #10
haertig
Guru
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
What you decided to switch to, is what I decided to switch away from.

To each, his or her own.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #11
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Your needs would seem to me to be rare. I can't believe you can read text that small comfortably, but different strokes.
I could read comfortably the text shown on the e-ink screen on the right in the OP's photo but the text on the device on the left looks microscopic. 🔬
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:54 PM   #12
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
I started way back with PDAs which were limited by display size (but color). Moved to E Ink for bigger display size for a few years but got sick of the poor display technology and moved to the tablets that had come along in the meantime.

Regarding readability of text size one can read considerably smaller text on LCD and OLED displays compared to E Ink because of their very much higher contrast ratios. Typically a LCD phone or tablet display will have a contrast ratio around 100 to 200 times that of E Ink displays and the contrast ratio of AMOLED, for example, is effectively infinite. Contrast ratio is similar to dynamic range, so the ability to differentiate, for example, black against a white background. This is one reason why, for example, E Ink is poor at grey scale too and, as can be seen from many posts in these forums, also why people find fonts in ebooks often not dense or distinctive enough (that is a problem I have observed with E Ink but have never found it so with LCD or AMOLED).

Personally, for reading, I see a very noticeable increase in readability of text for LCD over E Ink, but not so much as between LCD and AMOLED - I have never been able to justify the increased cost of AMOLED just for reading.

For high quality video (getting off topic, and something E Ink is incompetent at, but to demonstrate an effect of increased contrast ratio) AMOLED is noticeably better than LCD because of AMOLED's higher contrast ratio. Moving that into TVs, LCD TVs have high contrast ratios (typically higher than a LCD computer monitor, so that is one reason why movies look better on a TV than a monitor) and xOLEDs much higher again and are noticeably better than LCD.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I could read comfortably the text shown on the e-ink screen on the right in the OP's photo but the text on the device on the left looks microscopic. 🔬
I totally missed the image...

The iPhone SE example lost quotation indents and spaces. The eInk device looks more like a paper book. There's no question which I would rather use (especially at the tiny font setting on the iPhone).
Old 09-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Regarding readability of text size one can read considerably smaller text on LCD and OLED displays compared to E Ink...
Which really isn't an advantage for me. I like reasonably sized fonts, neither too big nor too little At one time I read that the ideal column length is 35 characters. That may (or may not) be true, but I do know that when I've adjusted my fonts to taste, the line length usually ends up being about 40 characters. And that's where I'm comfortable.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #15
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Which really isn't an advantage for me. I like reasonably sized fonts, neither too big nor too little At one time I read that the ideal column length is 35 characters. That may (or may not) be true, but I do know that when I've adjusted my fonts to taste, the line length usually ends up being about 40 characters. And that's where I'm comfortable.
But the point is because of the much higher contrast ratios of LCD and OLED panels your "reasonably sized fonts, neither too big nor too little" and a panel width of 40 characters will be much clearer on LCD/OLED displays than on an E Ink display.

If you find inferior contrast ratio displays meet your need because you use "reasonably sized fonts" that is just fine. I have just stated a fact from which springs the reason of font clarity why some of us prefer displays with contrast ratios much superior to E Ink.

Just like many are happy watching movies on LCD TVs but others have reasons to appreciate the better result from OLEDs (that result contributed to by their better contrast ratio). For myself I am happy with LCD TV panels (the better ones) for movies but when I see people post in a forum somewhere the fact that why movies are better presented on xOLED TV panels I don't feel any pressing need to point out that OLED "really isn't an advantage for me" as that has nothing to do with the fact claimed, but would rather be a statement seeking to give myself comfort for my inferior choice.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 09-14-2019 at 08:33 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote