Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #16
Vroni
Beast
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Sorry, but my versions works an all the device i have in my scope, whereas the css alternative ios n ot working on any of my devices.

So i stick to my version. And for sure i will not add a font having small caps glyphs just because i would like to have it in one word. Not even a subsetted font.

The valid reason is just simple. It works. At least for me. Yours doen't. At least for me.

Last edited by Vroni; 09-13-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #17
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroni View Post
Sorry, but my versions works an all the device i have in my scope, whereas the css alternative ios n ot working on any of my devices. [...]

The valid reason is just simple. It works. At least for me. Yours doen't. At least for me.
Remember, ebooks are more than purely visual, and people will be reading them in all different ways. Screen Readers + Text-to-Speech are just as important.

Lately, I've been reading most of my books using TTS while doing things around the house, and the stuttering on <small>caps makes sentences un-understandable.

If the smallcaps are purely visual (like dropcaps, first-word/first-line smallcaps, etc.), then it's okay if the device doesn't have a proper smallcaps font.

If there's some higher-level purpose (such as citations, abbreviations, emphasis, [...]), then perhaps we could discuss other solutions.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #18
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toys

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
All the methods and code examples in this conversation add all sorts of unnecessary html. Why aren't more people using the handy CSS pseudo-elements? Are there that many devices that do not support the pseudo-elements?

I just code for myself for the Kindle and Galaxy Tab. They both have no trouble supporting the fanciest options of dropcaps, scenebreaks, etc. In fact, I often have to strip out all that structural code in the first line of every chapter just to get the clean code I need to liven up my reading!
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Brett
It is more just than 'supporting'

Dropcaps were formatted for my Astak, render pretty close on mt Kobo but the fonts baseline (?) is placed 'wrong' on my K4 (It tends to run into other text.
People who format for many devices tent to 'avoid' and compromise their layout so there will be the fewest big issues. Pseudo classes are just asking for customer problems
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #20
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toysBrett Merkey shares his or her toys

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
Quote:
People who format for many devices tent to 'avoid' and compromise their layout so there will be the fewest big issues. Pseudo classes are just asking for customer problems
Conclusion: it is not fun to be a professional in the e-book world. I get your point. Even if a device supported pseudo-elements and advanced CSS properties, the particular differences in implementation might emerge in clumsy ways across a large range of devices. Yet, all that extra structural code also may lead to odd and clumsy differences over devices. Hack the hacks — the sad story of the flexible screen...

Last edited by Brett Merkey; 09-13-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
Conclusion: it is not fun to be a professional in the e-book world. I get your point. Even if a device supported pseudo-elements and advanced CSS properties, the particular differences in implementation might emerge in clumsy ways across a large range of devices. Yet, all that extra structural code also may lead to odd and clumsy differences over devices. Hack the hacks — the sad story of the flexible screen...
Well, if pseudos work on your Kindle, you have a relatively "newer" device. They are absolutely not supported across the Kindleverse.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote