Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Anybody's CC compromised after foreign ebook retailer?

Has anybody else had their credit card compromised after using it on a foreign ebook retailer? I have a card that the only recent use was to buy some books from a retailer that seems to be overseas (from U.S.). I am not certain that was the source of the compromise so I am not going to say who they were. Actually, I didn't even know they were overseas until I noticed foreign transaction charges with my purchases. Those are valid.

Since I bought on that site I have had a couple of hundred dollars charged to my card from places like Barnes&Noble, iTunes, and others. I've never shopped at any of these places. If you have shopped at any of the ebook retailers that are not in the U.S., you might want to look at your credit card statement. Again, I an NOT sure it was compromised from this source. But, it was the only time I used that card in the past few weeks.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have never had my cc used by someone other than me... and I use a lot and everywhere
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Use virtual credit cards

If your credit card issuer supports it, use virtual credit cards. I have credit cards from Bank of America and Citigroup that allow me to create a new credit card number for each merchant, set the credit limit, a shorter term (2 months), and the virtual credit card can only be used at the original merchant. I'm not a big fan of either of these banks, but my credit union's credit card doesn't have this feature, so I never use it for online purchases.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I had mine compromised after using it at an American-based e-book publisher (one of the indie publishers). Someone hacked into the database of the subcontractor who was handling their sales or CC information or something. The publisher got rid of that company, got a new one, and contacted people who were affected, but I never got the e-mail. I only learned after my credit card was blocked. Luckily I didn't have to pay for the charges, but it was still a huge pain. I avoided that e-publisher after that, except for a couple of purchases through PayPal or through a third party such as FictionWise.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote