Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
cbutters
cbutters began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Covers in KOR file browser only showing on some epubs

Hello,
I have a Kobo Aura One, and koreader [koreader-kobo-arm-kobo-linux-gnueabihf-v2015.11-1654-g666c9f1_2018-04-12]

My problem is that only some epub files I have put into place will show thumbnails for the covers in the KOReader File Browser.

epubs that I converted from amazon books are showing the covers, however comics / manga that I am converting myself from image files to epub are not showing up, even after I've used "polish" in calibre to embed covers.

The covers are embedding correctly evidenced by the fact that the covers I'm choosing work inside nickel (the kobo interface); However the same files do not show covers in the koreader file browser. I thought it was perhaps a file size issue, but I tried a single page of a comic as epub with an embedded cover that is a smaller file size than my books, however the cover still did not show.

Any ideas? I know it isn't a huge deal, but since I am anal about media management its really bothering me.

Last edited by cbutters; 05-21-2018 at 05:40 PM.
cbutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might try Kindle Comic Converter There is an Aura One example epub you can download. You can read .cbz files in KOReader, so you might want to try one that way and compare the results.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; The Aura One downloaded as a .kepub.epub and looks fine on my AuraHD, in KOReader. The thumbnail looks ok in its History listing (I have the History set to use cover thumbnails)

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-21-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2018, 08:29 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@cbutters: This won't be particularly helpful, but if you're using Calibre's Send To Device, the thumbnails are generated by Calibre, not Nickel, which may explain some inconsistencies.

I'm not familiar with this bit of KOReader's code, but since you mentioned mangas, I'm going to go out on a limb there and say that there may be a size/memory limitation at play somewhere. That wouldn't be the first time something like that has cropped up when talking about covers & mangas...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
cbutters
cbutters began at the beginning.

If I drop the cover into the source images before doing the conversion, and also use cbz instead of epub; I'm having good results. Had to do some legwork to convert and reimport several titles in my calibre library, but The added bonus is that I've found that switching pages with CBZ files in koreader is much faster than epub files for the same source material.

So no, I still don't know what is causing calibre embedded images on epub files to not work with koreader; but am using an effective workaround.
cbutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know the actual state of our CBZ/CBT handling, but if you're in a testing mood, you can see if a CBT nets you even faster turn pages (that's a tarball, no filters, instead of a zip).

Note that we might not even actually handle CBT, that's just mee throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks ;p.
Advert
Old 05-23-2018, 05:55 AM   #6
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
I think the calibre cover file you get when "update metadata" in calibre is only a local file based in /path_to_calibre libary/author/title/cover.jpg which is read by calibre using his metadata.opf which lives at the same place. When you convert, the book inner files are modified, so the cover is embedded inside.

(but it's only some guesses based on some tries and errors)
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I don't know the actual state of our CBZ/CBT handling, but if you're in a testing mood, you can see if a CBT nets you even faster turn pages (that's a tarball, no filters, instead of a zip).
Also see https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/3533

NB I don't know to what extent the posted unzip benchmark is applicable to us.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Frenzie: Yay! And at least that's another hint that CBT makes an awful lot more sense than CBZ .
Old 05-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given the variety of archived image file/comic book, formats in use, as well as KOReader's current support for compressed material both archives and compressed image formats, adding CBT would seem reasonable. Displaying a sequence of image files from an archive that is not compressed should not be difficult. I don't see any reason it should replace any of the others, though. This isn't a situation where we need to pick between "Beta or VHS", we can have both, with little cost.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-30-2018, 01:04 AM   #10
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
@Ken That already happened, courtesy of MuPDF and @TnS-hun.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/3554
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #11
nominar
nominar began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You might try Kindle Comic Converter There is an Aura One example epub you can download. You can read .cbz files in KOReader, so you might want to try one that way and compare the results.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; The Aura One downloaded as a .kepub.epub and looks fine on my AuraHD, in KOReader. The thumbnail looks ok in its History listing (I have the History set to use cover thumbnails)

Hello Ken

I want to install the coverBrowser plugin in koreader. I can't find it.
Can it be installed or activated?
Thanks
nominar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I am a number of KOReader updates behind, but you could still find a check box for it under the "Plugin management >".

Luck;
Ken