Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Free Audiobooks?

Due to my upcoming eye surgery tomorrow, I'm not going to be reading anything for a while. Does anyone know of a good site to download free audiobooks?

Not Audible, because I don't want to join their club. I'm just looking for a few good books that I can burn to a CD and play on my stereo.

Thanks!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
have you tried http://librivox.org/ ? it's the Project gutenberg of audio books (free audio books from the public domain, read by volunteers). some of them are really good, i hear, although since it's all volunteer work the quality might be a little uneven.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Manybooks.net has free public domain audiobooks.

Good luck with your surgery!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The PG ones are quite good. My only issue with them - and I mean no disrespect in saying this - is that they are all (at least all the ones I've listened to) read by Americans, which I find a little "grating" for British English classics.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You guys are wonderful! These are exactly tyhe types of sites I was hoping for. THANKS!
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Best of luck with your surgery, DG. Hope you're back with us soon!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Best of luck with your surgery, DG. Hope you're back with us soon!
Thank you!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
glad to help dixiegal. feel better soon. hopefully some good books will make the recovery time fly past.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Due to my upcoming eye surgery tomorrow, I'm not going to be reading anything for a while. Does anyone know of a good site to download free audiobooks?

Not Audible, because I don't want to join their club. I'm just looking for a few good books that I can burn to a CD and play on my stereo.

Thanks!
Your public library has tons of audio ebooks, either in the library itself on cd's or from their ebook/audio book site. Some of the larger libraries have finally started offering MP3 format audiobooks that work on Ipod, and they have offered WMA format for other players for a long time.
Since I prefer my Ipod to my Sandisk, I often pick up the cds from the library and load them into Itunes and then onto my Ipod when I can't find what I want online.

Good luck on your surgery. Hope the withdrawal from your ereader is not too severe.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Device: irex iliad
There are 4 books available as audio books on this site: http://www.secretworldchronicle.com/

It's about humans with superhero abilities that suddenly finds themselves attacked by german superhumans from WW2.
haridasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The PG ones are quite good. My only issue with them - and I mean no disrespect in saying this - is that they are all (at least all the ones I've listened to) read by Americans, which I find a little "grating" for British English classics.
Hey, maybe *you* should volunteer to read the British English classics.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
You can download bunches from Librivox. As far as I can tell, many of the Librivox recordings wind up at Project Gutenberg, too.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!