Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Bye bye Pocketbook

My PB302 still has no decent wifi, browser, rss, writing app and what more that they promised at the issuance of the machine. For almost one year I was foolish enough to trust you. But you never ever delivered.
Warning to those who consider buying a PocketBook ereader: make sure the firmware is in a (nearly) finished state. Otherwise don't buy! At Pocketbook the only concern seems to be selling hardware.

Who follows?

Bye bye Pocketbook
(Sony does have excellent hardware combined with very decent firmware)

Last edited by adbosch; 02-01-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
HenkH
Enthusiast
HenkH began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302
I'm considering sending the Pocketbook 302 back, due to:
  • Screen problems in direct sunlight
  • The 15.2 firmware won't install (device goes into continuos reboot cycle)
  • The 15.3 beta firmware that is available is buggy (no pdfreader, zoom in Adobe reader has problems)
  • G-sensor doesn't work
  • Lack of firmware updates with bug fixes and promised features

The problem is that I have started to 'like' the device (in spite of the flaws mentioned above) and I don't want to miss a good E-book reader (especially since I'm going on vacation in a few weeks)...
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
If you want a good device, try Kindle. You won't have so many options but those that are, works like a charm. The only limitation in a Kindle is ADE, that is not available, but you can purchase with your PC and de-DRM and send to kindle with Calibre in practically one step. Or you can install fbkindle hack and be able to read fb2, epub and chm directly with your Kindle.

I have a 903 but I'm not very happy with it. It is a good hardware but has a poor firmware, and it seems PB people is not in the work of improve it. Only if they publish all the source code to allow community improve the firmware I will be happy with them.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenkH View Post
Screen problems in direct sunlight' the device
Is yours fading in the sun too?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Sony PRS are excellent readers, personally I have nothing against the except the price tag. Is the web browser and the Wifi worth the price to you? Personally I have a Blackberry on my hip that does the web surfing and I am simply not willing to pay the $200 for the wifi.

As for the pocket book - what feature(s) prompted you to buy one of those in the first place?
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
HenkH
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
Is yours fading in the sun too?
Yep, and it is a known isssue with the PB302 readers. In the German Pocketbook forum there is a whole thread on the subject and several people have had their screen replaced.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
PocketBook USA
PocketBook USA began at the beginning.

Device: 902, 701 IQ, 602, 302, 360, 301
The 302's have been discontinued and the 603 has taken it's place. It should hit US stores mid Spring. It will be similar to the 602, but with a touch screen and a few additional features.

If you're looking for strictly an e-reader, not internet or other features, the 301 is the best-selling e-reader in that regard. If you're looking for something with more functionality like full internet capability, customization, watching videos and movies, etc, then the 701 IQ with the Android operating sytem is for you.

Both models are currently on sale in the US for $139.99. The stores are located in Seattle at the Wesfield South Center Mall and Missouri at the Independence Center Mall. Shipping is available. Both locations offer a 14 day return/exhchange policy so if you are unsatisfied with your device for any reason, simply return the device to PocketBook in new condition for a full refund.

In regards to problems with the 302, if you currently have the device and are experiencing difficulty, please download the firmware upgrade posted on the website here: http://pocketbook-usa.com/support/pocketbook-302/ . There are also dowloads there for additional games, themes, fonts, and the RSS news feeds. If for some reason that did not resolve your device dilemma, please email service@pocketbook-usa.com or call them directly at 1-877-326-0196. Bill, the tech support guru, will get you taken care of.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
HenkH
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Sony PRS are excellent readers, personally I have nothing against the except the price tag. Is the web browser and the Wifi worth the price to you? Personally I have a Blackberry on my hip that does the web surfing and I am simply not willing to pay the $200 for the wifi.

As for the pocket book - what feature(s) prompted you to buy one of those in the first place?
For me Wifi-surfing was one of the reasons I bought the PB302. Nowadays I have an Android Smartphone, so I don't need a 'slow monochrome' device for normal surfing. I would however like to use the e-reader to acces the online e-books at safarionline.com. They have a simple mobile site which would be great on the PB302, however this mobile site requires SSL, which the current browser application doesn't support.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
HenkH
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketBook USA View Post
In regards to problems with the 302, if you currently have the device and are experiencing difficulty, please download the firmware upgrade posted on the website here: http://pocketbook-usa.com/support/pocketbook-302/ . There are also dowloads there for additional games, themes, fonts, and the RSS news feeds. If for some reason that did not resolve your device dilemma, please email service@pocketbook-usa.com or call them directly at 1-877-326-0196. Bill, the tech support guru, will get you taken care of.
Thanks for your reply.

I think most 'complainers' already use this firmware (or a 'leaked' beta from september). The problem nothing new has emerged from the Ukrain, while your collegues from Germany have made promises that the PB302 is stil supported, that a decent writing application and browser would come available and that a new firmware should be available in january (see this topic for an overview).

Until there have been no real signs that any of these promises will ever be fulfilled and your collegues from Germany/Ukrain refuse to make an official statement on this matter.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Who are you, PocketBook USA who joined in january 2011 and totally, but so very totally misses the point. PB302 owners have been sold crap, and the only solution is a decent replacement/trade-in. Where are the other, old-time PB representatives?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #11
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Regarding poor firmware it seems to me that PB903 will follow PB302.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I could go through back posts - but I specifically requested confirmation about the pending "writing app" before purchase on this forum. Your representatives here made assurances that it woudl be out soon. This was back in June/July of 2010.

In Canada, I have limited purchase options for Pocketbook products, and found it was cheaper to spend more here than to order from the US (shipping, exchange, taxes and duties pushed the price way up). I took the plunge trusting what I was told here by your representatives.

It was a mistake.

We 302 users feel that we have been misled repeatedly over the past 6 months with regard to the promised features on our device.

Instead of solutions we've had repeated promsises of deadlines that have been missed.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #13
adbosch
Addict

And the brandnew PB representative now out of the blue states what has been denied by his predecessors all this time: the PB302 is discontinued.
I haven't had it for 9 months yet, it was brandnew and came a truckload full of promises, which were never fullfilled.
Bye bye PocketBook, you cheated me and many other PB302 owners.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenkH View Post
I'm considering sending the Pocketbook 302 back, due to:
[LIST][*]Screen problems in direct sunlight

you should have had that swapped a long time ago. That is a known issue with a batch or 2 of displays from PVI. Nearly all eink reader manufacturers got hit by it including Sony, Kindle,PocketBook, Irex and Onyx
Old 02-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
you should have had that swapped a long time ago. That is a known issue with a batch or 2 of displays from PVI. Nearly all eink reader manufacturers got hit by it including Sony, Kindle,PocketBook, Irex and Onyx
Was it really only a batch or two? My 2-1/3 year old PRS-505 has this problem, and I vaguely recall people complaining about this last summer with newer devices.
Closed Thread