Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free books (Borders) - 25 Assorted Romance (Dorchester, Harlequin, Samhain) [US-only]

So I went to the Borders site to see if I could clear an issue up, and it turns out they have even more time-limited promo free books. Which of course they never bother advertising via their frequent email newsletters.

I'm starting to wonder out just what I've been missing out on, if this isn't a new development.

So anyways, the latest batch, said to be a 1-week promo. Some of them are repeat freebies from other stores, but many are new. It's a mix of Dorchester, Samhain, and Harlequin stuff, most available as ePub, but some only as PDF or as text via their Borders Reader app.

Here is the direct link to Borders' A Gift For You: Free Romance For Borders Customers page from which you can pick up all 25.

Thanks, Borders! Vous aussi, Dorchester, Samhain, and Harlequin.

Since their site tends to be a bit lacking in detail, some descriptions below. I am not particularly familiar with genre romance, so all categories are my approximations based on looking at the blurbs. Feel free to offer corrections if I've gotten something really wrong.

Firstly, I've read that Samhain, Kobo, and Borders will be partnering to offer 10 free titles as an October treat. With the link for the 25 above, Borders has gotten in on most of it, and it's just a matter of time before Kobo does, so I'll list and link their versions of the books that are supposed to be part of the promo here, for ease of future finding.

Expect these to be on the erotic side and don't miss reading the warnings.

Single Couple Get-Togethers

The Ghost Exterminator, by Vivi Andrews. Supernatural w/aristocratic familial curses. Looks standalone.

Trey, 1st in Red Hot & Blue series by Cat Johnson. Military w/mission, and possibly missionary position.

Collision Course, #2 in Florida series by K. A. Mitchell. Gay w/healthcare workers, previously free @ Amazon and B&N.

Crazed Hearts, #3 in Grimm's Circle series by Shiloh Walker. Paranormal w/angels and demons; I Thought It Was You, a short story which fits just before this, is currently free @ Amazon and B&N.

Multiple Partner Relationships

Colters' Woman, prequel to Colters' series by Maya Banks. Familial ménage. Colters' Wife, a sequel novella to this, is currently free @ B&N and Amazon.

Long Hard Ride, by Lorelei James. Cowboy ménage, possibly w/bondage.

Hara's Legacy, 1st in Resonance Mates series by Bianca d'Arc. Sci-fi familial cowboy ménage w/aliens.

Some Sort of Werewolf Pack/Mate Stuff I'm Not Even Going to Try to Figure Out the Dynamics Of

Standoff, 5th in Cascadia Wolves series by Lauren Dane. Paranormal.

Wolf Signs, 1st in Granite Lake Wolves series by Vivian Arend. Aussi Paranormal, eh? Previously free @ Amazon.

A Safe Harbor, 1st in Building Sanctuary series by Moira Rogers. You weren't seriously thinking this was anything other than Paranormal, were you? Cry Sanctuary, which looks to be set in the same universe, was previously offered free @ Amazon and B&N.

As for the non-Samhain special promo books, 2 of them are already available free at Kobo, and you can find them direct-linked, along with 20+ other still-free-at-Borders-when-I-checked-just-now assorted Romance & Thriller freebies (Dorchester set now expired, though you can still get some other titles listed) in my earlier post here.

The rest of the current batch as follows:

Historical Romance

Distracting the Duchess, by Emily Bryan. Victorian duchess and her nude-model spy.

To Tempt a Knight, by Gerri Russell. Sir William Keith and the First Crusades!

The Wicked House of Rohan, by Anne Stuart. Novella prequel to the House of Rohan series. Currently free at B&N, Amazon, Harlequin if I recall correctly.

Paranormal Romance

Shadow Bound, 1st in Shadow series by Erin Kellison. Previously free @ B&N. Banshee vs. demons in this one.

Sin's Daughter, by Eve Silver. Prequel to her Otherkin series. Immortals, soul reapers, and the Underworld.

The Magic Knot, Helen Scott Taylor. May actually be merely Psychic Romance, due to absence of any supernatural critters. But it's got Tarot cards in it, so close enough.

Marked, by Elizabeth Naughton. 1st in a series whose name I do not remember and am too lazy to look up. But it's got Greek gods in it. Previously free @ B&N and Amazon.

Sunrise In A Garden Of Love & Evil , by Barbara Monajem. I was expecting this to be set in Savannah, as a riff on the "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" book, but no, it's vampires in Louisiana.

Historical Paranormal Romance

Double Enchantment, by Kathryne Kennedy. Victorian w/were-stallion. The 1st book in this series, the one with the were-lion, is still free @ B&N, possibly also Amazon.

The Strangely Beautiful Tale Of Miss Percy Parker, Leanna Renee Hieber. 1st in a series. More Victorian: beautiful albino at academy w/ghosts and prophecy. Previously free @ B&N. Currently free audiobook serialization also available via "the Dorchester 20 link" contained inside the "also free @ Kobo and Borders link" given way above.

Romantic Comedy

Fiancé at Her Fingertips, by Kathleen Bacus. Apparently you can order "boyfriend-in-a-box", which sounds like a euphemism for "battery-operated boyfriend".

Weddings Can Be Murder, by Christie Craig. Standalone and previously free @ B&N. A serial killer targets brides. I've actually read this one, and while the whodunnit motivation is kind of clichéd and weak, the awkward oh-no-I'm-with-the-wrong-partner!-swapping relationship fumblings are quite funny indeed.

Romantic Thriller

Fade the Heat, by Colleen Thompson. Romantic thriller w/firefighter and doctor: together, they fight personal demons! Presumably not literal ones, since this doesn't look like a paranormal.

I Can't Tell From A Quick Look Where This Belongs

Sister of the Bride, by Susan Mallery. Could be contemporary or historical. But when the heroine's sister is marrying the heroine's ex, and it looks like the heroine's also doing the wedding planning, I don't think that's a recipe for a happy family relationship. Unless it's those pesky ambiguous possessive pronouns at work again.

Lord of Devil Isle, by Connie Mason. The Bermuda privateer description hints "historical", the cover image hints "we saw that classic film rolling-around-on-a-beach scene in 'From Here to Eternity' and are doing our own post-modern re-enactment, now with fewer clothes!". You decide.

Rapture's Tempest, by Bobbi Smith. Another ambiguous one. She disguises herself as a cabin boy and there's a riverboat. Probably historical, but you never know.

The River Nymph, by Shirl Henke. Another one with a riverboat. A mighty modern-looking riverboat.

I think th-th-th-that's all, folks! Enjoy.

No wait, there's another: As Luck Would Have It, another historical romance with spies in it, this time a Regency by Alissa Johnson. Courtesy of Dorchester, for whom I hope the move to e-book publishing works out well for them and their authors, especially if they're going to continue giving stuff away for free promo.

Last edited by ATDrake; 10-06-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Figured out where one book stood in a series. Also typo. And found a 26th book. & update.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:37 AM   #2
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I was really disappointed when I found out that the Samhain freebies were US only . And I am terrible jealous about some of the other freebies as well.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Samhain freebies should show up in the Kobo store eventually, and Kobo's usually pretty decent about making deals available to most. There's also those two "also @ Kobo" freebies, possibly available internationally, in the other post I made earlier, linked above.

As for the other stuff, well, there's always the dance of geographic obfuscation, which happens to be an interpretive dance, performed with proxies.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Thanks so much! Gosh all these Dorchester titles being give away.
It's like Christmas has come early for a romance book junkie like myself!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard

Ooh, one more: As Luck Would Have It, Regency romance by Alissa Johnson. Another historical spy thingy.
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 06:23 AM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Samhain = not my favorite publisher

But I'm loving these Dorchester historicals!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
They did publicize them this time (got it yesterday). Of course, the titles they promoted in the email are not the same as on the linked page....
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard

They send me three emails a week and none of them have ever said anything about free ebooks. The one I got yesterday still doesn't.

Crazed Hearts and A Safe Harbor have now joined the Borders freebie list, thus completing the intended Samhain promo set, none of which are yet free at Kobo.

Also, the previous Dorchester 20+ duplicate-from-Kobo freebies have now expired from Borders, but I'm leaving that link in with a warning since it links to their regular free books page with other stuff and instructions on how to get the stubborn books via the app if there's an error message for Add to Library on the website.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Thank you verra, verra much! I do like Samhain and FW never allows discounts on them so very sweet deal for me! (I would insert a happy dancing smiley here but I can't find them!).
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard

Several of the books that were previously only available as PDF can now be downloaded as ePub, for anyone wanting to transfer/convert them for another reader.

They are: Collision Course, Colters' Woman, Hara's Legacy, Long Hard Ride, Standoff, The Ghost Exterminator, and Trey.

You'll have to go back to the promo page and re-add the those titles to your library one-by-one, which should give you duplicates in your My Library listing from which you can choose to download either ePub or PDF in the future.

If doing it directly from the promo page doesn't work, then try clicking each book's product page link from the promo and trying the Add to Library button on the individual pages, which should.

Also, this promotion officially lasts until the 12th, according to the rotating banner that was on the Borders front page.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #11
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Mine automatically switched; I had to use the Kobo software to get them, but had download links the next day.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I got an email about this promo from Borders...not sure why others didn't.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
I got this promotion by email and checked it out. Just a warning in case it matters to anyone books are DRM'd.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #14
ATDrake
Wizzard

Well, they finally sent me a promo email which actually mentioned free promo e-books yesterday. One which made a big point about how there were only 2 days left for this promo, so grab anything you want while it lasts in the 1 day now remaining.

It seems like if you've added the formerly-PDF books from the website or the actual Borders app, the switchover to ePub isn't automatic and you probably do have to re-add from the site. Or maybe it was and I'm just impatient.

In any case, they seem to have rearranged the titles on the official promo page, dropping some of them off so that even with the "new" arrivals, the count is now just at 26, while there are 28 free above.

So if you wanted Sister of the Bride, which was on the earlier version of the promo page, be sure to check your My Library and either hit the official "Free for a Limited Time eBooks" link on the left sidebar or do a direct search for that and any other titles you were interested in that you might be "missing".

Last edited by ATDrake; 10-11-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Miscounted, and got the wrong "missing" book.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #15
Serendi
Serendi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
confused here....

Hi--I'm relatively new to all this.

I d/l'ed 23 of the books (the others said there was a technical problem). The epubs are fine. The pdfs are readable in ADE, and ported successfully to my Kobo (that is, I can see them from Windows), but they aren't visible from within the Kobo itself. I copied them from the Kobo to my hard drive via Windows and tried to convert them; Calibre said they're DRM'd. ADE says the computer is authorized, so presumably the Kobo port should work. I tried re-adding the PDF ones (as someone mentioned earlier in this thread) and it said there was a technical problem there too.

Any ideas at all what to do? I mean, I *could* read it in ADE in Windows, but that's really not what I want.

Thanks to any and all.
Serendi is offline   Reply With Quote