Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-23-2019, 06:34 PM   #16
enigma2k
enigma2k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I converted an epub file to pdf with the newest version of calibre (on MacOS Mojave) but still got the same "old" results: when I try to copy some text from the converted .pdf I get a blank string. (I can highlight the text normally in preview or skim app).

Is there a new setting in calibre to activate (or a plugin) so one is able to copy the selected text within the preview/ skim app (without getting a blank string)?

In ebook-viewer copy/paste work without a problem but not in the preview & skim apps.

Last edited by enigma2k; 01-23-2019 at 07:24 PM.
enigma2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #17
asleyam
Enthusiast
asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.

Device: kindle voyage, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2k View Post
I converted an epub file to pdf with the newest version of calibre (on MacOS Mojave) but still got the same "old" results: when I try to copy some text from the converted .pdf I get a blank string. (I can highlight the text normally in preview or skim app).

Is there a new setting in calibre to activate (or a plugin) so one is able to copy the selected text within the preview/ skim app (without getting a blank string)?

In ebook-viewer copy/paste work without a problem but not in the preview & skim apps.
There is a princepdf plugin for calibre but I think its only for the windows version.
I use MacOS so I run the Sigil Princepdf plugin and have multiple copies of it installed, with each one set to different pdf formatting.
Conversions in Sigil using Prince have no issues with copying text or search in Preview .
asleyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #18
anon_me
anon_me began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkoetsie View Post
I had the same issue with a couple of PDFs that were created with Calibre, and managed to fix it by transforming them using Ghostscript.
I ran the following command to have Ghostscript recreate the PDFs:
gs -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile="<New PDF file>" "<Original PDF file>"
This worked for me and it had to be very specifically written (i.e. must use quotes even for paths that don't have spaces, etc in them).

Make sure the the source and destination are places the GhostScript command will have access to. I had permissions issues in the beginning even when running under my own user account. Got it working when I moved the file(s) to my Public folder and gave "everyone" Read & Write access.

I also had to add the -dPrinted=false option to keep the links functional

Final command...

Code:
gs -dNOPAUSE -dPrinted=false -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile="/Users/<your username here>/Public/outputfile.pdf" "/Users/<your username here>/Public/inputtfile.pdf"
anon_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #19
PeterFs
PeterFs began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkoetsie View Post
I had the same issue with a couple of PDFs that were created with Calibre, and managed to fix it by transforming them using Ghostscript.
I ran the following command to have Ghostscript recreate the PDFs:
gs -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile="<New PDF file>" "<Original PDF file>"
A few years later, however I can confirm that this works. Ghostcript has been around for around 20 years to my knowledge, although I would like to know exactly what it does when it recreates a PDF?

I has also tried to convert some Apple Preview non-searchable PDF's to PDFA in Acrobat Professional preflight/standards. This did not work for my original text PDF, although it worked for the Ghostscript processed PDF. This suggests that Ghostscript repaired, or at least stnstandarised the PDF, in some way.

Overall, unless I find that Ghostscript reduces the quality of PDF's, this appears to be an excellent solution.
PeterFs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:27 PM   #20
PeterFs
PeterFs began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon_me View Post

I also had to add the -dPrinted=false option to keep the links functional

Final command...

Code:
gs -dNOPAUSE -dPrinted=false -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile="/Users/<your username here>/Public/outputfile.pdf" "/Users/<your username here>/Public/inputtfile.pdf"
I did not need to add this option to keep the links.
PeterFs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFs View Post
Ghostcript has been around for around 20 years to my knowledge …
Been around for 30-40 years - my team was using it in the late eighties.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-19-2021 at 03:57 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:06 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Been around for 30-40 years - my team was using it in the late eighties.

BR
Wowser. I see it was first released on August 11, 1988!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:22 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Wowser. I see it was first released on August 11, 1988!
Wowser as I know it

I would have thought a bit earlier. My team included two recent 'escapees' from the USSR; a very bright Russian and an even brighter Ukrainian - knowing them they probably got a beta copy, or helped develop it when I wasn't watching.

At a lunch with the local Cisco head-honcho he thanked me for allowing them to fix the problems in the BGP section of Cisco's router software - I didn't know they were doing it. They also wrote an RFC that was contributed under Cisco's banner, but I knew about that - I asked them to do it. Most of the kit in our lab was on permanent loan from suppliers.

Anyone remember the name of Cisco's router software back then.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-19-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:39 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Anyone remember the name of Cisco's router software back then.
As far as I recall, William Yeager's NOS became the core of Cisco's IOS used in routers. Cisco's early switches used CatOS (Catalyst Operating System).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:16 AM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Well that memory cell is working, today at least. I thought it was IOS, but then thought "Nah - must have been sumfing else."

We had a couple of small Cisco switches - just for us. But we were mainly interested in WANs, the corporate network was SNA with a lot of Frame Relay, IP over it was a bit of a fizzer. Our direction was an ATM network - but the business made some disastrous overseas investment decisions and they closed our lab down. Russian George went to IBM Raleigh and Ukrainian George ended up at Atlassian.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:42 PM   #26
GirlScript
GirlScript began at the beginning.

I am new to all this and if anyone can help me I would REALLY appreciate it. I have gone over the GhostScript codes you all posted but in my case, I have transferred all my PDFs and docs to my iCloud due to space limitations. I can readily see all my iCloud files on my laptop. Is there anyway I can write a code with such a destination for GhostScript? Or do the files have to be on my MAC?

True newbie here. Thank you in advance.
GirlScript is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf