Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
iPad and Kindle 2, a users experience

Well I have always been a gadget kinda guy. Sometimes I end up with buyers remorse but usually I just enjoy being the first kid on the block to have a shiny new toy. I have used a few different devices for reading books, and now I can add an iPad to the list. Jornada 525 -> Kindle 2 -> iPad.

I must say I've absolutely fell in love with the iPad AFTER it has been jailbroken (Multitasking should be a standard feature). I know I'll use the iPad for reference documents, graphic novels, pen and paper RPG books, but the one thing that it still won't do for me on the reading side is novels.

Its too large, heavy, and the reflective screen is just all too cumbersome for long periods of reading for enjoyment. In my experience a Kindle 2 (or similar eInk device) is still the way to go for just reading. I can say that the iPad has all but replaced my laptop for everyday browsing, email, and the quick little game. If the device wasn't tethered to iTunes for downloading and uploading files it'd be a perfect laptop replacement for light to medium usage. To Apple's credit the device does work nicely and is intuitive in its interface, and if you only occasionally read a book or always sit inside it'd be a decent reader too.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
I totally agree, if it weren't for podcasts, my laptop would remain at work most days
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
I'm beginning to use my iPad as a reader for the assorted books I've scanned myself and converted to image-based PDFs. Still hunting for the perfect reader app that shows two pages side-by-side in landscape mode, but for books where the layout isn't so important it's working nicely.

Waaay heavier than the Kindle, though! I can see each being useful in its own environment.

I'll have to look into how to jailbreak it...
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
How's ipad been working out for you guys in terms of long-term reading? I have mixed feelings/experiences with it. Even with night mode on I don't particularly like to read on it at night.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote