Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #496
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've been practicing portion control. Combined with working out regularly, it helps.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #497
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I am ...

South beach diet. Stop eating ride, fast food, added sugar food and potatoes. Lost 10 pounds and I feel awesome.

It was hard the 1st week. After that, your stomach and body get used to.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 02:16 AM   #498
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Ahem! Now that I spent six months living it up on chips and cointreau and red wine and chocolate biscuits and and and and..... and put on lots of weight! about ten kilos! - Did I say that out loud!

I am now counting calories again and I am pleased to report that I lost 1.2 kilograms this week. Yippee!

I have rationed myself to only one glass of wine with dinner so I don't feel too deprived, but may have to give it up when the inevitable plateau occurs (hopefully not before I lose a few kilos or ten)

I am going to report here every week with my successes or failures to help keep me on track. for listening.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:41 AM   #499
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The first rule of losing weight, IMO, is that any diet you adopt must be one that you're happy to keep to forever.

I have stayed pretty much level the past year, rather than losing the last 3kg of so that I say I'd like to lose.

I think that what that shows is that I don't want it enough! I'll see if I can do better over the next few months.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #500
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I got to my goal weight at Weight Watchers the Sat. before Thanksgiving and I managed to maintain Thanksgiving week!
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #501
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The first rule of losing weight, IMO, is that any diet you adopt must be one that you're happy to keep to forever.

I have stayed pretty much level the past year, rather than losing the last 3kg of so that I say I'd like to lose.

I think that what that shows is that I don't want it enough! I'll see if I can do better over the next few months.
And internal motivation. If you are not truly convinced or motivated, you'll gain weight again.

On my case, I wanted to be 36 again, and I did it. Because I'm not a big man, 38 was too big and had too much tummy and waist for 36. I'm so happy now! And I am more alert as well; I'm eating more now but healthier.

Last edited by jocampo; 11-28-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #502
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I can honestly say that I have never been on a diet. It must be just something in my natural metabolism. For the last 40+ years my weight has not varied more than 10-12 ponds around a mean of about 155. When I stop working out so much my appetite drops and picks up again when I become more active.

I do think all these fad diets are nonsense though. As long as one eats a healthy variety of foods while avoiding large quantities of things known to be unhealthy (fats, salt, sugar) what does not matter, just how much in calories. Oh, and one can never drink too much water, while sweetened drinks are terrible.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #503
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
And internal motivation. If you are not truly convinced or motivated, you'll gain weight again.

On my case, I wanted to be 36 again, and I did it. Because I'm not a big man, 38 was too big and had too much tummy and waist for 36. I'm so happy now! And I am more alert as well; I'm eating more now but healthier.
I too would love to be 36 again. I am sure I had less wrinkles and I was a good weight and looked great! - but alas I am now 45 and there is nothing I can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I can honestly say that I have never been on a diet. It must be just something in my natural metabolism. For the last 40+ years my weight has not varied more than 10-12 ponds around a mean of about 155. When I stop working out so much my appetite drops and picks up again when I become more active.

I do think all these fad diets are nonsense though. As long as one eats a healthy variety of foods while avoiding large quantities of things known to be unhealthy (fats, salt, sugar) what does not matter, just how much in calories. Oh, and one can never drink too much water, while sweetened drinks are terrible.
I never needed to be on a diet until I passed the 40 year mark, then I seemed to put on a little weight every month. The creeping weight gain. I eat pretty well with lots of veges and cycle most days and do body balance at the gym at least 3 times per week. The body did not regulate itself properly after 40, so now I have to count calories.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #504
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I too would love to be 36 again. I am sure I had less wrinkles and I was a good weight and looked great! - but alas I am now 45 and there is nothing I can do about it.

Waist my friend, waist ... but I'm not too old either ...
Old 11-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #505
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

D'oh! my waist is 34, and i want it to me smaller. maybe 28. I doubt I would ever get to the 24 I was at 21.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #506
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post

I was like this for the first 55 years of my life, then someone must have pressed a switch somewhere and I put on about 15 kilos! Still eat the same stuff and I have never put on any more weight, but the only way I have now had success getting rid of it is to do a huge amount of exercise (and I have always been very active). I don't really eat too much or the wrong type of food so I can't really cut down there, and I hardly ever drink alcohol so that's not the problem. I just put it down to an age thing - the metabolism changes and that changes the weight equation. Being very active can switch back the metabolism to a "young" mode, but the effect only lasts for a few days, then it's back to digging up the garden or walking kilometres!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #507
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Henry Morton Stanley's Unbreakable Will

First it is interesting that Stanley never said, "Dr. Livingston I presume." That is just a story he made up later.

So the reason I posted this here is that the article is much about will power and how to enhance it for any task, including weight loss.

One quote from the article:

Quote:
Today, you can precommit yourself to virtue by using social-networking tools that will expose your sins, like the “Public Humiliation Diet” followed by a writer named Drew Magary. He vowed to weigh himself every day and reveal the results on Twitter—which he did, and lost 60 pounds in five months. Or you could sign a “Commitment Contract” with stickK.com, which allows you to pick any goal you want—lose weight, stop biting your nails, use fewer fossil fuels, stop calling an ex—along with a penalty that will be imposed automatically if you don’t reach it. You can make the penalty financial by setting up an automatic payment from your credit card to a charity or an “anticharity”—a group you’d hate to support. The efficacy of such contracts with monitors and penalties has been independently demonstrated by researchers.
So stick to your diet and help a good cause at the same time!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #508
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

yippee! Second week and another 1.1kg's off. I must have been fat! That's now 2.3kilograms in 2 weeks. and another joy I think I may have improved the lentil tuna patty recipe - chickpea flour as a binder yay! double happiness.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #509
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Congratulations, Sneaky. But that's quite swift weight loss. Don't be disheartened if it slows down a bit.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #510
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

I think I am losing more than usual because i am fatter than usual. I understand that the rate will slow down soon. I must not be tempted to try harder to keep up the fast rate, other wise I will start to feel deprived. Right now I can live with this for a while. I am still having wine with dinner.