Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Just Got My Pocketbook 360

Well I bought a used PB360 on the MR Flea Market. Seller shipped it Saturday from NH and I got it today. Wow that was fast. And boy am I ecstatic. Right this minute I am a 39 year old child.

Ok I am taking suggestions. What should I do first? I am the type of person to completely get a device setup completely before using it. So I guess I should check to see if the latest firmware is installed. And then the latest fbreader (never used this before). I would like to try and get a hold of the droid font (really like the look of that) and get that installed. Not sure where to find that or even how to load it to the PB360. Yes I am one of those guys who reads the manual first (did that yesterday).

I am going to put my 280 books on here in folders sorted by genre. And while I do that I wait answers to my questions regarding 'suggestions'.

Woot, I feel like its Christmas.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
I would like to try and get a hold of the droid font (really like the look of that) and get that installed. Not sure where to find that or even how to load it to the PB360.
I found a link for the droid font at booxusers.com. The link is in the last post. I can't help you with installing though.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
I found a link for the droid font at booxusers.com. The link is in the last post. I can't help you with installing though.
I got it installed. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Still trying to decide the best way to sort/file the ebooks on the SD card.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Somehow I lost all the applications. I go to the applications icon and it says "copy your games and applications for PocketBook into "games" folder, and they will appear here".

So I assumed with having an SD card that its overriding the internal memory where the applications are. But I copied the 'games' folder to the SD card but that didn't work either.

So what am I doing wrong?
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Still trying to decide the best way to sort/file the ebooks on the SD card.
Get Calibre and use that to set up your books etc, then use it to move the books to your reader and let it set it up =)

works out great.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
Get Calibre and use that to set up your books etc, then use it to move the books to your reader and let it set it up =)

works out great.
Thats what I am doing. I am using ({author_sort}/{title} - {series} - {series_index} - {authors}). Which is ok. But nothing spectacular.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:17 AM   #8
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If you want your apps back, the hardware reset which brings you back the standard-shipping apps consists of turning on the device and simultaneously press the center button and the upper wing button, the so called Plus button, while the welcome image is being shown.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:17 AM   #9
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
If you want your apps back, the hardware reset which brings you back the standard-shipping apps consists of turning on the device and simultaneously press the center button and the upper wing button, the so called Plus button, while the welcome image is being shown.
I already figured it out lol. Bit silly of me. I set the filter to only SD Card which then only reads off the card. So with the games/apps on internal memory it couldn't see it. I set it back to none (as in no filter) and it all came back up.

I set the clock to a 12 hour clock. But when I run the clock app it still shows it as a 24 hour clock. Not that I will use it much but thought that was strange.

I am going to order me one of those black leather pouches. Hopefully they are still be sold in the US.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:00 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Try also Gentium font.
At one point I had about 50 [carefully selected] fonts installed on the device and yet, I always find myself gravitating back towards Gentium.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Try the Georgia font that comes with Windows for Serif font reading; it is a wee bit darker than average for a normal font and it comes as a full set so you get true italics.

For the bookshelf, try Lucida Brite; it's a wee bit larger than average and very clean; it helps with the status bar and indicia.

Look into Themes (they're installed the same way as Fonts and Apps, you just copy them into the designated folder) they don't just reskin the display, they do alter behavior. Some folks like the Minifred and Lastopen themes available through the various Theme-related threads here. (The opening screen shows the last 10 opened books instead of just 2) Or you can create/modify your own.

Look into alternate button mappings. I would sugest moving paging off the large "wing" buttons and onto the four-way silver rocker; it lets you page forward with a minor increase of thumb pressure and back with a minor thumb movement. In fact, I have the most-frequently-used features mapped to the silver rocker and reserve the wing flaps for the dictionary, note taking, etc

Be careful if you delve into the style-tweaking features of the FBReader180; you can't do any harm but you can lose days and days of your life just seeing what all those dozens off settings do. (Hint: a lot!) Remember, the purpose of the device is to assist your reading, not suck you into format-tweaking.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-13-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Try also Gentium font.
At one point I had about 50 [carefully selected] fonts installed on the device and yet, I always find myself gravitating back towards Gentium.
I will definitely give it a go. I really like Droid so far but I have heard nice things about Gentium as well.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Try the Georgia font that comes with Windows for Serif font reading; it is a wee bit darker than average for a normal font and it comes as a full set so you get true italics.

For the bookshelf, try Lucida Brite; it's a wee bit larger than average and very clean; it helps with the status bar and indicia.

Look into Themes (they're installed the same way as Fonts and Apps, you just copy them into the designated folder) they don't just reskin the display, they do alter behavior. Some folks like the Minifred and Lastopen themes available through the various Theme-related threads here. (The opening screen shows the last 10 opened books instead of just 2) Or you can create/modify your own.

Look into alternate button mappings. I would sugest moving paging off the large "wing" buttons and onto the four-way silver rocker; it lets you page forward with a minor increase of thumb pressure and back with a minor thumb movement. In fact, I have the most-frequently-used features mapped to the silver rocker and reserve the wing flaps for the dictionary, note taking, etc

Be careful if you delve into the style-tweaking features of the FBReader180; you can't do any harm but you can lose days and days of your life just seeing what all those dozens off settings do. (Hint: a lot!) Remember, the purpose of the device is to assist your reading, not suck you into format-tweaking.
I'll give those fonts a try.

Yeah I grabbed all the themes I could and installed those last night. I am currently using NTX.

I like the wing buttons. I did change the top wing to previous and the bottom wing to next. Thats the only things I have remapped as of yet.

I did some very small style-tweaking. And already realized I could get lost in there. So I made some very small changes and got the hell out of there.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
Ham Cannon
Enthusiast
Ham Cannon doesn't litterHam Cannon doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony Reader 505, Kobo Touch, iPad 1, iPhone 4
I mapped both wing buttons to next page. Only the "back" on the D-pad now goes back a page. One of my favourite things about the Pocketbook is that I can hold it in so many different positions; right or left hand, with my thumb resting on either wing button. 99% of the time I'm going to the next page in the book instead of the previous page so it makes sense to have that the most accessible.

I also love the Droid font... I recommend changing the appearance setting for fonts (from the main menu) to "embolden" to make the font look a little darker.
Ham Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Cannon View Post
I mapped both wing buttons to next page. Only the "back" on the D-pad now goes back a page. One of my favourite things about the Pocketbook is that I can hold it in so many different positions; right or left hand, with my thumb resting on either wing button. 99% of the time I'm going to the next page in the book instead of the previous page so it makes sense to have that the most accessible.

I also love the Droid font... I recommend changing the appearance setting for fonts (from the main menu) to "embolden" to make the font look a little darker.

Thats a good tip on the wing buttons. And its very true 99% of the time you are going to the next page.

I'll give embolden a try instead of antialiased.