Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
epub check mentiones an error

I know, epub checks have been discussed before, but still I want to mention it again

I have a public domain html file that I converted into xhtml 1.1 (it is valid). Then I converted it into epub with the latest edition of calibre (I always use the latest version). Then I let it run through an epub check (threepress.org which uses epub check 1.0.5)

Everything was o.k. except for 1 error:
ERROR: Rosenresli - Johanna Spyri.epub/content.opf(10): date value '2010-02-08T22:00:00' is not valid, YYYY[-MM[-DD]] expected

Member Netseeker told me that Dublin Core recommends the usage of either just the year (YYYY) or year+month (YYYY-MM) ...

So I edited line 10 of the content.opf and removed the time setting, so that only the 2010-02-08 was left - and now the epub file passed the epub check.

Is there a way how I can keep the time setting out of the convertion ? Or do I have to remove it every time, by myself ?

Thanks in advance
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In this instance I happen to think that DC is wrong. There is no harm in storing extra information in the date field, as this can be useful for publications other than novels, like magazines/newspapers. So this is not going to change.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh and I just had a look at the OPF 2.0 spec. It does not require the date field to be restricted to only days and not times.

http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf/OPF_2.0...ec.html#TOC2.2
Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It does not require the date field to be restricted to only days and not times.
I agree, this is a bug in epub check.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
In the interest of getting tool problems fixed - can one of you report it to EPubcheck?

Thanks!

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
thanks for all the replies.

I was already surprised in the beginning, when epub check gave out this error, because in the past I learned that calibre and the ebooks its creates are very reliable.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
2010-02-08T22:00:00 is not valid either (no timezone)
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

According to the following links

if a timezone is omitted it is assumed to be a local time zone

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html#zone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Times
Old 02-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Quote:
According to the following links

if a timezone is omitted it is assumed to be a local time zone

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html#zone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Times
The spec for W3C dates/datetime gives no such latitude. If you include time you must include timezone.

Valid W3C Formats from http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime
Quote:
Year:
YYYY (eg 1997)
Year and month:
YYYY-MM (eg 1997-07)
Complete date:
YYYY-MM-DD (eg 1997-07-16)
Complete date plus hours and minutes:
YYYY-MM-DDThh:mmTZD (eg 1997-07-16T19:20+01:00)
Complete date plus hours, minutes and seconds:
YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD (eg 1997-07-16T19:20:30+01:00)
Complete date plus hours, minutes, seconds and a decimal fraction of a
second
YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.sTZD (eg 1997-07-16T19:20:30.45+01:00)
Besides, whose localtime, the creator's and if so what is the creator's localtime vs the consumer's localtime. For a long lived document, time without timezone is close to useless.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Writing timezones, is easy enough to do in calibre. Still wont fix the epubcheck problem though.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #11
Jim Lester
Evangelist

Quote:
Writing timezones, is easy enough to do in calibre. Still wont fix the epubcheck problem though.
It'd be interesting to see if writing out a correct W3C date did indeed fix the problem. It wouldn't be surprising if an error message was more restrictive than the actual code is.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well the next release of calibre will generate timezone info as well, so should be easy to check.

I have to say that accepting dates without timezones, but not dates+times without timezones is one of the more asinine things I have seen.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 02-15-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:34 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I have to say that accepting dates without timezones, but not dates+times without timezones is one of the more asinine things I have seen.
Well, if you have a date without time zone you have the precise time +/- 24 hours. With timezone you have the precise time +/- 12 hours. So adding the time zone only makes the reference twice as precise.

Adding a time (hours:minutes) without time zone to a date only gives you the time to +/-12 hours. Then adding a time zone gives you the time +/- 30 seconds. So in this instance adding a time zone makes the reference 1440 times as precise.

Perhaps this explains why I've never seen a date given with a time zone....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

An excellent analysis

But, looking at the W3C note, I see that date with timezone, but no time is actually illegal, which leads me to believe that the degree of accuracy improvement was not the motivation for this.

The W3C seems to believe that having an accurate date is just plain wrong and should be discouraged.