Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
An e-book in two parts?

Just stumbled upon this while browsing the FictionWise shop...

To Green Angel Tower (I) $8.99

To Green Angel Tower (II) $8.99

I know they do this kind of thing with paperbacks, but e-books? I suppose it's a way to go around the psychological price barrier. Many people will think twice before buying a book at $18, while buying 2 books at $9 each may feel less painful. We really are a gullible lot, aren't we
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Probably just naming problem.

According to http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/tad-williams/ To Green Angel Tower series has 2 tomes - Siege and Storm.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Ah, OK, sorry
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
The original hardback was actually released as one book titled "To Green Angel Tower". I've got it sitting on the shelf in front of me. However yes it was split into two for release as a paper back.

I'd have preferred the ebook to be released as one book, as after all there's no real reason to split the ebook, unlike the reason for splitting the paperback, which from what I remember was due to binding problems, it is a very large book.

Last edited by deltop; 12-30-2009 at 09:37 AM.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
The original hardback was actually released as one book titled "To Green Angel Tower". I've got it sitting on the shelf in front of me. However yes it was split into two for release as a paper back.

I'd have preferred the ebook to be the same as the hardback as after all there's no real reason to split the ebook, unlike the binding problems which resulted on the split for paperback. It's a very large book.
I have that hardcover too!

Kinda wish his editors had cut out about a book's length of exposition from that one, to tell the truth.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
katysax
Enthusiast
katysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litterkatysax doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle DX, prs 505
It seems to me that a lot of the "trilogies" that I've read are just arbitrarily broken apart novels.
katysax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post

I'd have preferred the ebook to be released as one book, as after all there's no real reason to split the ebook, unlike the reason for splitting the paperback, which from what I remember was due to binding problems, it is a very large book.
One reason I can think of for splitting an ebook into multiple parts is if it is extremely large. On my reader I found that it is a bit sluggish when dealing with very large PDFs (more than 500 pages).

When I formatted the Project Gutenberg version of "A Tale Of Two Cities" as a PDF for my reader, it worked out to 1,310 pages (I format my ebooks with a base font size of 14 points and 0.2 inch margins), and was approximately 2MB in size. To make it easier for my reader to deal with, I split it into three parts (which correspond to the three parts of the original novel).

However, even if the ebook is split into parts it doesn't mean that the publisher can't sell it as a single unit. Selling each part of a multi-part ebook (that wasn't originally released separately in printed form) would be similar to a selling each CD in an audiobook separately.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by katysax View Post
It seems to me that a lot of the "trilogies" that I've read are just arbitrarily broken apart novels.
Yes. Of course, LOTR was what, 6 books and 6 indices put together into a "trilogy".
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Four segments on "Medusa"

Dear All:

I downloaded the new Dirk Pitt novel called "Medusa" from Books On Board. It came in four segments! Luckily, all four for the same price as one.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote