Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
If you forget your password, BooksOnBoard will email you a new one which isn't a problem.
I would say that is a bigger problem. If somebody see you leaving the computer unlocked (you do not have to log out, you can lock you computer) then they just request a new password or the old and go to your computer and get your account and can start buying books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And what dire consequences might result from the interception of your BooksOnBoard password?
People use the same password for different websites. They shouldn't, but they do. So even if a person with malicious intent can't do much damage at BooksOnBoard, if that same password was also used for internet banking then oh-oh.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
People use the same password for different websites. They shouldn't, but they do. So even if a person with malicious intent can't do much damage at BooksOnBoard, if that same password was also used for internet banking then oh-oh.
The funny thing is that it probably is because some people do use different password that they have to email them since people will forget them.

I have compromised and use a high security and a low security password. Then I only have to remember two passwords.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #19
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And what dire consequences might result from the interception of your BooksOnBoard password?
I don't know, Harry. What happens when your Dalek meets the stairs? Or water.

thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #20
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I keep all my passwords in PasswordSafe database, synchronized between computers by DropBox, like described here: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/09/11b.html
This way I only need to remember the database password.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #21
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Either way, like the OP states, sending passwords in the clear is just plain bad policy. And it's a clear indication of sloppiness on part of the website creator.

Standard policy for most websites if you forget your password is they send a reset link or a temporary password to your email. Both methods require you logging on to the website and entering a new password immediately.

If you're really worried about (in)security, just refer to the master. His blog makes interesting reading (or uncomfortable reading if you're one of those who has any illusions about the competance of TSA).
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #22
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BooksOnBoard has replied to my email and the person who replied CC'd to two other personnel at the company. They all agree that the password should not be emailed. They're working on a fix.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #23
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

I want to respond to cerement's signature that says, "To manufacturers: Design an ebook reader for readers that focuses on design and typography."

I wholeheartedly agree with that one! Reading and books is not just about plain text. Plain text is the reason I shy away from .HTML files for digital readers. Typography and book design and layout is very important. Because of that, I generally favour formats that are Adobe Digital Editions or Adobe PDFs or variants thereof because they are not only concerned with plain text but also design and layout.

In fact, I find the whole business of being able to change the font of a digital book to whatever you want rather "insulting". Okay, said in jest. But, the fact that some digital formats allow us to change to any fonts willy-nilly is suggesting that design and layout is merely secondary to plain text. Not so. Communication happens not just through text but through design and so forth.

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 03-22-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #24
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
[off topic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Okay, said in jest. But, the fact that some digital formats allow us to change to any fonts willy-nilly is suggesting that design and layout is merely secondary to plain text. Not so. Communication happens not just through text but through design and so forth.
Unfortunately the only standard for ebooks that encourages structured markup and supports good typography is LaTeX which no liseuse currently uses ...

[yes, zelda's got another 'liseuse' convert, 'ebook reader' is just annoying ...]

Last edited by cerement; 03-22-2009 at 05:59 PM.
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #25
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
I want to respond to cerement's signature that says, "To manufacturers: Design an ebook reader for readers that focuses on design and typography."

I wholeheartedly agree with that one! Reading and books is not just about plain text. Plain text is the reason I shy away from .HTML files for digital readers. Typography and book design and layout is very important. Because of that, I generally favour formats that are Adobe Digital Editions or Adobe PDFs or variants thereof because they are not only concerned with plain text but also design and layout.

In fact, I find the whole business of being able to change the font of a digital book to whatever you want rather "insulting". Okay, said in jest. But, the fact that some digital formats allow us to change to any fonts willy-nilly is suggesting that design and layout is merely secondary to plain text. Not so. Communication happens not just through text but through design and so forth.
I agree with you! I've compared some mobi books from Amazon to their paper counterparts and the format is totally rearranged. I much prefer PDFs (from sources like Overdrive) because I know the ebook will preserve the intended formatting. I understand the desire for ebooks to be readable on digital readers of all sizes (which requires reflow) but it would be nice if ebooks came with 'original format' and 'reflowable text' options. Perhaps this is what Fictionwise's MultiFormat eBooks offer.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #26
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Not to mention that PDF and variants thereof allow for multiple kinds of fonts and charactersets (I think they're called charactersets) in the file without having to rely on the digital reader to already have the font. For instance, I have some files that are written in both Traditional Chinese, two-byte Roman Characters, and regular roman characters. I'm not sure if the other formats can handle those appropriately without my reader already having have those fonts.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #27
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I agree with you! I've compared some mobi books from Amazon to their paper counterparts and the format is totally rearranged. I much prefer PDFs (from sources like Overdrive) because I know the ebook will preserve the intended formatting.
What is the intended formatting? Hardcover, trade and mass market paperback can have different formatting. Why should one of them be the intended formatting?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #28
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I prefer a good, readable font, with decent spacing between lines to some fancy font that some publisher thought looked pretty. I've had paperbacks that were hard to read due to the font. I'm perfectly happy with my single-font Kindle (I don't do Topaz).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #29
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
What is the intended formatting? Hardcover, trade and mass market paperback can have different formatting. Why should one of them be the intended formatting?
Usually, the more expensive the product, the more time was spent on typography and design.

I really hope, that a universal ebook standard emerges, which would allow for the same design and typography, as on a printed page. Kind of like what pdfs do for electronic documents.

I suppose ebooks will follow the web model, where initially plain, rather ugly text was the norm, while now much richer and sophisticated options are becoming available.

P.S. On the password issue, I'd personally prefer that they send me the password. And in my experience, most e-tailers do. You have to balance convenience and security, and I'd rather not have to reset a password every time I forget the old one. (for something like a bank account, I can see the point, of course

Last edited by Sonist; 03-22-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #30
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I prefer a good, readable font, with decent spacing between lines to some fancy font that some publisher thought looked pretty. I've had paperbacks that were hard to read due to the font. I'm perfectly happy with my single-font Kindle (I don't do Topaz).
In general, I haven't encountered books where the layout was horrendous. Then again, the books I usually read are academic publishers and major general publishers so that could be a reason. Some of the smaller presses don't have staff with the skill set to do proper typsetting and layout.