Quote:
Originally Posted by i♥cabbages View Post
Re-posted.
Thank you very much.
michaeli98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:51 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
Well the library will never know if you delete the files or not, so that action alone won't change libraries' behaviour regarding ebooks. Hence their is no rational reason to delete the books unless you think it is morally wrong to keep them or fear that someone might access your harddrive without your permission.
How could you NOT consider it morally wrong to keep a library book?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 04:16 AM   #63
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How could you NOT consider it morally wrong to keep a library book?
Because they aren't going to miss it. A few bits of information on my computer will be different but the library is no worse off. This is self evident because they will never even notice whether or not I deleted the book. If my action has no potential to cause anyone harm then I don't consider it morally wrong.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because they aren't going to miss it. A few bits of information on my computer will be different but the library is no worse off. This is self evident because they will never even notice whether or not I deleted the book. If my action has no potential to cause anyone harm then I don't consider it morally wrong.
Sorry, but I disagree with you vehemently. The library has bought the book on the basis that it will be "loaned" to readers, not permanently kept. If you keep it, that is just as bad a downloading a copy of it illegally. It's a matter of trust - libraries do not exist to GIVE you books, but to LOAN them to you. If you violate that trust, you're putting the entire library eBook system at risk, and reinforcing the idea that users are all criminals who will steal if given half a chance. You damage everybody by doing this, and merely strengthen the idea in the minds of publishers that DRM systems are necessary.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:58 AM   #65
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you violate that trust, you're putting the entire library eBook system at risk, and reinforcing the idea that users are all criminals who will steal if given half a chance. You damage everybody's reputation for the sake of your own personal greed.
My point is that this argument only applies if the library or someone else is able to learn that you didn't delete the book. If everyone was to start bragging about how they are downloading and not deleting library ebooks then that could change the behaviour of libraries and publishers for the worse. But that is a separate issue to whether or not you hit the delete key (if you are going to keep your mouth shut about it).

Edit: One thing I do agree with you about is that if someone signs a contract with the library that stipulates they mustn't permanently download ebooks then they should keep their promise not to do this (even if the library would never learn what they do).

Last edited by RobbieClarken; 03-01-2009 at 05:03 AM.
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 05:01 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm afraid I consider that to be utterly immoral. But we must agree to differ.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:09 AM   #67
RobbieClarken
Addict

Quote:
But we must agree to differ.
Agreed. When it comes to these issues I don't think people will ever change their positions, but I do find the discussions interesting.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Edit: One thing I do agree with you about is that if someone signs a contract with the library that stipulates they mustn't permanently download ebooks then they should keep their promise not to do this (even if the library would never learn what they do).
That is precisely my point: it's a breach of trust to "borrow" a book and then permanently keep it. Whether or not anyone "knows" that one has done so is irrelevent, at least in my code of ethics.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #69
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I'm afraid I consider that to be utterly immoral. But we must agree to differ.
I have to agree with Harry on this. When I saw people's reactions to this tool were: "Oh I'm sooo going to exploit my local library to get free books!", shivers went down my spine.

That's not the point of INEPT. The point is freeing yourself from the DRM imposed on your lawful purchases, not using it to get free books.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #70
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I have to agree. If you don't financially support the authors you enjoy, there will come a point in time that they won't write books for you to enjoy. There's nothing wrong with using decryption tools to preserve your own library, but to download the library books and keep those forever? I think it will eventually serve to hurt the entire publishing eco system.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #71
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
If people use the tool to comvert to other format to be able to read the books then the reasonable response from libraries is to make the books available in more formats.

I am also a bit surpised that people seem to make a distinction between removinge DRM from library books and downloading books from the darknet. If you are going to break the rules why not just download the book from the darknet?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #72
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I am also a bit surpised that people seem to make a distinction between removinge DRM from library books and downloading books from the darknet. If you are going to break the rules why not just download the book from the darknet?
You're absolutely right. There is no distinction.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #73
RobbieClarken
Addict

Quote:
If you are going to break the rules why not just download the book from the darknet?
Because not all books are shared on the "darknet"?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
If people use the tool to comvert to other format to be able to read the books then the reasonable response from libraries is to make the books available in more formats.
To the best of my knowledge, only the Adobe and MobiPocket DRM systems offer the capability of "time limiting". Even with your "DRM is evil" viewpoint, would you not accept that this is a legitimate use for DRM?

Quote:
I see absolutely no difference.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #75
Valloric

Quote:
Because not all books are shared on the "darknet"?
Let's back up a bit... you would de-DRM a library book and keep it only if you couldn't find one to steal from the darknet? Basically, you'd buy a book only if you couldn't illegaly acquire it from somewhere else?