Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Maerose
Maerose began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Eager to get started! Lots of questions!!

I've ordered my first ever eReader (505) from Play.com and am still waiting for it to be delivered. Whilst I'm waiting I thought I could download some books from the Baen website so I'm ready to roll as soon as I finally get it!

I've installed Calibre on to my laptop as I've read on here that it's better than the Sony software. Now I just feel overwhelmed by all the formats etc and feel very unsure how to proceed.

So what do I need to do next? Can I download the books before I get my reader? What format would be best?

Also I've read that I can use a Sony PSP charger to charge my 505 is this right?

Thanks everyone!
Maerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Download ePub format books from from Baen. Yes, the PSP charger works fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Maerose, you can charge your 505 with the PSP cable but, it takes about four hours to completely charge it and you can't read books on your reader during that period. For about $20 you can get a wall charger that'll charge up your reader in half that time and you can read while it is charging.

You can download books in advance. And you can use .lrf, the Sony format or ePub which is the emerging industry standard.

Also, you can borrow ebooks from some libraries. They're in ePub and you get to keep them for 21 days. Check the Wiki here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Cassidym--I think you're confusing PSP with USB. The PSP is a wall charger.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi Maerose, you can charge your 505 with the PSP cable but, it takes about four hours to completely charge it and you can't read books on your reader during that period. For about $20 you can get a wall charger that'll charge up your reader in half that time and you can read while it is charging.
Er, a PSP charger IS a wall charger...

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Check out Project Guttenberg as well it has tons of classic books in epub format. Also googlebooks.

There are tons of books right here in the MR library as well. Harry had done a bang-up job on Dickens and many other contributors have and continue to upload free books.

And don't forget to check you local library to see if they support Adobe Secure EPUB -- I read several books on loan already from mine and on the waiting list for several more.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Cassidym--I think you're confusing PSP with USB. The PSP is a wall charger.

dordale
Um, er, I knew that. I just,..... urm, man my head hurts. Sorry all.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Maerose
Maerose began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm still waiting for my 505 to be delivered, I hope Play.com deliver in the end! I can't chase it till 21 days after despatch so I may have a while to wait yet!

In the meantime I shall start downloading books
Maerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerose View Post

Don't. Stop right now, or you will end up with a mile long "to read" list that will never-ever go away.

Be selective, be very selective from the start if you know what is good for you.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerose View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm still waiting for my 505 to be delivered, I hope Play.com deliver in the end! I can't chase it till 21 days after despatch so I may have a while to wait yet!

Good for you. Download only those that interest you.

You may wind up with a huge back pile to read, but you'll never be without a variety of choices!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Beatlebacker
Beatlebacker doesn't litterBeatlebacker doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
A USB charger will take 4 to 5 hours to fully charge the battery from flat compared to around 2 to 2 and a half with a PSP adaptor. Don't be fooled by the claims of 6800 page turns on one charge posted on the side of the packaging - whilst it is true, it is only true of constant page turns and not general reading usage. Be prepared to charge more frequently than you think!
If you get to a point where you think the Reader has frozen and will not respond, it probably just requires a fresh charge!
If it discharges over a period of days rather than weeks, the liklihood is some form of corruption keeping the software active and not allowing the device to shut down.
These devices don't take too kindly to impact so be careful ... the ink element (to replace) with labour and taxes (if applicable) in some cases can take it over the cost of a new unit!
They don't take too kindly to the odd refreshment either - a new board and case will cost almost as much as 2 new ones!!
And one thing about borrowed books - if you have 2 forms such as PDF and EPUB that have been borrowed, you might get a protected page situation arise. In this case remove all but one and read one at a time.
Apart from the above enjoy your Reader.
Beatlebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Don't. Stop right now, or you will end up with a mile long "to read" list that will never-ever go away.

Be selective, be very selective from the start if you know what is good for you.
I would also suggest you start to spend quality time with overdrive.com and finding local (or even long-distance) libraries that have eBooks you can borrow. I got my prs-505 a few months ago, and I initially was buying up books like crazy. Then I remembered we were in a recession, so I signed up for 2 local library cards, and now I spend hours perusing their online catalogs to find eBooks I want to borrow and read. I've found that usually the popular fiction books are most likely available to borrow, but they always have wait lists. So, I'm always on waitlists for several titles, and then I fill time reading the books I paid for while I wait for library books to become available. I think that, to help your wallet (and because reading on your 505 becomes addictive), it's a good idea to keep a mix of books you buy and library books

Hope this helps!
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
Klaatu
Klaatu doesn't litterKlaatu doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwerm View Post
I've found that usually the popular fiction books are most likely available to borrow, but they always have wait lists. So, I'm always on waitlists for several titles, and then I fill time reading the books I paid for while I wait for library books to become available.
Wait... what? Why on earth should there be a waiting list to borrow an ebook from the library. My head hurts pondering that.

Regards,
Michael
Klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
Wait... what? Why on earth should there be a waiting list to borrow an ebook from the library. My head hurts pondering that.

Regards,
Michael
Because the library has only paid for a certain number of licenses. They have to wait for the lending period to expire (or the book to be 'returned') before they can lend it out again.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #15
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post

Excellent advice. But I can't help adding to the overload.

Do you like magazines and newspapers? If so, you can start subscribing to them via Calibre ("Fetch news" button, go to your language of choice, click on a desired newspaper or magazine, and then "Download now" or "Schedule for download"). Once it's scheduled, it moves from being listed under the language to under "Scheduled".
- For selected day schedules (first tick box), if you open Calibre on that day, it will be automatically retrieved into Calibre. If you fail to open Calibre on that day, Calibre does nothing. Probably good for daily newspapers, but for weekly magazines, you would need to manually download if you still wanted a recent issue.

- For selected interval schedules (2nd tick box, like every 30 days), I think you can open Calibre after the interval (like on day 32) and Calibre will still download.
You can try this out by downloading some now and perusing them in Calibre ("View" button) to see if you want to subscribe.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote