Notices

Old 02-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
ColMac
Connoisseur
ColMac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Series & Series Index

Beginner question!

Is there a way to get the Nook Simple to show Series & Series Index for books.

I read a lot of series, and want to read them in the order they were written. But my nook displays them in alphabetical order, so there is no way to identify the next in the series.

I have all the series info in Calibre, but can't see if there is a way to get it onto the Nook.

Appreciate I could rename the books with a leading series number, but that is a last resort.

Thanks

Colin
ColMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Use a plugboard to rename all books on the fly, only on the copy that is being transferred to the device. See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100949

And this Wiki, which applies to all devices, not just the Kindle (maybe I should rename it?): Kindle_and_Calibre_Plugboards
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
ColMac
Connoisseur

Series & Series Index

Many thanks for the response.

Never heard of plugboards, so thanks for pointing me at them.

I see there are over 30 pages of messages on that thread, so I'll have a good read through before I try anything and update you.

Once again, thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first page is a bunch of common templates, and the wiki guides you through the process of actually using them. If you need something not on the first post of the thread, don't bother reading through all that stuff (unless you want to) just post an example of what you want to see, and someone will help you do it. That's what the thread is for -- people (like me) responding to custom situations.

One very common example is this (from the Main Post):
Code:
{series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] - }{title}
which will show up as, for example:

Code:
title:         Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
series:        Harry Potter
series_index:  2

title on device: Harry Potter [2] - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
That may be what you want right there. But it can look pretty much however you like.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
ColMac
Connoisseur

Series & Series Index

Wow. Wiki page was perfect.

Didn't even look at the forum thread, altho I will do later. The wik described what I wanted simply and easily!

Many thanks again

Colin
Advert
Old 02-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
ColMac
Connoisseur

eschwartz - Our messages crossed.

I will have a look later as I like to read/learn

but wiki was so easy

Colin
Old 02-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColMac View Post
Wow. Wiki page was perfect.

Didn't even look at the forum thread, altho I will do later. The wik described what I wanted simply and easily!

Many thanks again

Colin
Yeah, they do give some solid starting templates for basic titles. Remember, you can also do all kinds of crazy things, so keep this in mind!

EDIT: Crossed again! Yeah, learning is awesome! And so is calibre!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
ColMac
Connoisseur

eschwartz

Think I might have a play with this one tomorrow (its midnight here)

{series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] - }{title}

Then I want to see if I can sort them in series number order

Colin
Old 02-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Alternate approach = calibre Catalog

Hi ColMac,

An easy alternate approach (for a non-techie like me) is to create a calibre catalog in EPUB format and load it on your Nook ST.

A basic catalog containing Title, Author and Series information for hundreds of books can be created in under a minute.

As the number of books on your Nook ST grows, using a catalog is much faster than scrolling through the Nook's library system. In fact, molasses in January is even faster than the Nook's library system.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote