Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
NC as development tool? Something else?

So,
I'm doing a bit of re-training here and part of this involves gaining some android knowledge. It seems to me that a Nook Color might be a good, less expensive, testing platform as I learn.

Am I thinking right, or should I just consider getting a full fledged tablet or is there some other alternative that I'm not yet aware of?

Advice is appreciated.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Not really sure what you're budget is, but after owning the NC for a while now, I really wish I had the Asus Transformer. Although the NC is a fantastic tablet, it's missing quite a few critical features of a full-on Android tablet.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
You can run an Android virtual machine on a PC. I don't know the details, but I know it's doable. Otherwise, I find the NC decent, at the 2 week mark. It's more capable than a lot of phones (once you put a real android OS on it) and less capable than most tablets. I certainly know more about Android than when I picked it up. It's also easy to try out several different versions of Android on the NC--I don't know how easy it is with other tablets.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Well, the budget is pretty tight though an NC is do-able. Basically Android knowledge is becoming an adjunct to my technology job requirements and although there is no need to become a full fledged developer I do need to have more than a basic-user understanding of Android so I was trying to decide if an NC would suffice.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
zespectre
BookMonkey

Well, the budget is pretty tight though an NC is do-able. Basically Android knowledge is becoming an adjunct to my technology job requirements and although there is no need to become a full fledged developer I do need to have more than a basic-user understanding of Android so I was trying to decide if an NC would suffice.
Quote:
It's also easy to try out several different versions of Android on the NC
That may be the key right there.
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespectre View Post
So,
I'm doing a bit of re-training here and part of this involves gaining some android knowledge. It seems to me that a Nook Color might be a good, less expensive, testing platform as I learn.
The nook color is very fun to play with.

The trouble is, a few things about the nook are non-standard. In particular, the external file storage APIs and locations, which is why some of the B&N market apps don't work if there's no added SD card. It's also missing some hardware that most other android devices have (phone, GPS, camera, compass). None of this is a big deal for me, but it depends on what you're trying to do. (For me, the bigger challenge with android is just the various versions of android that are out there; sometimes I see an API that looks useful, but it's new and most existing devices won't support it.)

Whatever you get, make sure the device supports developer mode so you can install your own code on it. Most devices do support this, though. Note that this is not the same as rooting. Since the nook color does not allow developer mode by default, you'd need to root it.

I'm in a similar situation to you; I need to learn new skills, and I've decided to go with Java and android. I'm using a rooted nook color, and my cell phone, but mostly the nook.
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespectre View Post

That may be the key right there.
I think the various roms available, including 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 3.0/3.1 make the NC an ideal platform for learning about the android system. And the fact that it is darn near impossible to brick is great, too.

If you are looking to learn android for developing phone specific, gps, or camera related apps, then the NC won't help much.

If you just want to understand how the android world works, I think the NC is a great device.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
You don't need a device to develop for the android platform, you can just use the simulators.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote