Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
WSJ: Move Over, Apple! My Tablet Cost $200

NOOKcolor rooting in mainstream press: Move Over, Apple! My Tablet Cost $200.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
In today's tablet-crazy market it's a fantastic value - especially given the screen quality. There are alternatives in or near its price range, but none of them come close to matching its screen. Most run 7" resistant touchscreens at 800x480 - and the NC has them beat on both resolution and interface.

Now if they could just get landscape to work on the standard reading app...
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

the Nook iPad app is much better than the nookcolor stock reader. The Android app might be as well, but my nookcolor isn't rooted so I don't know. Hopefully the promised upgrades we all expect to see in the coming weeks will greatly improve the non-rooted apps.

I've got both the nookcolor and an iPad 1 and I'm really leaning heavily toward the iPad. If I had to give up one right now, which I don't, I would give up the nookcolor, but that is mostly because I've been using an iPod touch for a couple of years or so and I'm therefore much more familiar with iOS than Android. I've tried to get to know Android through some other tablets and let me just say we have agreed to keep our distance from one another! For me the bottomline is I can quickly and easily get done what I need to in iOS, but not so much in Android. Both OSes are really lacking IMHO when compared to MacOS or Windows.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
dschoemaker
Reading Fool
dschoemaker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, 2x Nook Color, NST, IPad 1 & 3
Jswinden, I think your missing the point of the article.

For people with limited budgets this $200 device can fill the void. The line that leaps out is "Of course, it's hardly the same as an iPad or a Xoom or a Galaxy."

Is the IPad better? I would expect it to be for between $200 and $500 more. But its like comparing a basic auto with a luxury vehicle; they both get you there in the end.
dschoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoemaker View Post
Jswinden, I think your missing the point of the article.

For people with limited budgets this $200 device can fill the void. The line that leaps out is "Of course, it's hardly the same as an iPad or a Xoom or a Galaxy."
I simply don't think a tablet is woth it, as a $500 or a $700 gadget. I don't see that much value in it.

To me, it's a laptop/desktop supplement. Something to flip through NPR news stories while the kids are watching Dora, or do a quick internet search for something while I'm out and about. Maybe now that bluetooth is working, something to play an oldschool game on an emulator with.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
The article says that B&N should make it a standard Android tablet (i.e. rooted out of the box, essentially), and that they would gain book customers by doing so, not lose them. It then also says that if B&N can sell a tablet with such a nice screen, anyone can - i.e. all these other tablets coming out must be overpriced by a lot.

But I wonder - perhaps B&N is selling the Color Nook at a loss right now, just to get people to buy more books and magazines. I understand that that is what Amazon did when they first introduced the Kindle. I think it is arguable whether selling rooted versions would sell more books or less. B&N obviously thinks less, so they probably think they would be taking a risk of loosing money on every sale of a rooted Nook and not get enough book buyers to make it worthwhile.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I think it is arguable whether selling rooted versions would sell more books or less. B&N obviously thinks less, so they probably think they would be taking a risk of loosing money on every sale of a rooted Nook and not get enough book buyers to make it worthwhile.
Rooted or not, I have no intention of buying any books for my Nook Color.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
dschoemaker
Reading Fool
dschoemaker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, 2x Nook Color, NST, IPad 1 & 3
Hmmm, I doubt they are selling them at a loss. Maybe the margin is minimal, I certainly would never sell that volume of product at a loss. Especially when someone can easily root it and download the Kindle app and buy my competitor's product.

After watching the video I think the author is trying to impress that Android type-devices are going to become the new "Ipod". Except that unlike the Ipod multiple companies will produce them and price pressure is going to kick in... something like the Walkman which started out in the hundreds and can now be had for $20.00 if you can find one (wow, aging myself there).

I really like the comment that if a book seller can make something like this then anyone can.
dschoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The stock nook and the rooted nook are a far removed Android experience.

A real android device is something like the Samsung Tab or the Xoom. There has been a lot of work by the Android community to bring a full fledged Android OS to the nook and they have done so. I'm currently running Gingerbread (2.3 --CM7) and the nook experience is excellent. Prior to installing Nookie, now CM7 I was very disappointed in the nook as a tablet, even as a reader. Now I'm loving this device.

Now that the nook has a fully functional OS I find I use it for most of my task, emails, surf, write documents, read (PDF, ePUB, MOBI) and play games. OTOH my son and wife who have apple devices struggle with the limitation of the iPad and really only use their devices as itoys (games, surf).

As the article mentions, the hardware is good with a good price point, it is no wonder why developer have migrated to give the nook so much support. I believe that the winning hardware vendor is going to be the one that gives users what they want. Stock Android with great hardware at a good price. It seems right now every vendor doing just the opposite.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The article says that B&N should make it a standard Android tablet (i.e. rooted out of the box, essentially), and that they would gain book customers by doing so, not lose them. It then also says that if B&N can sell a tablet with such a nice screen, anyone can - i.e. all these other tablets coming out must be overpriced by a lot.

But I wonder - perhaps B&N is selling the Color Nook at a loss right now, just to get people to buy more books and magazines. I understand that that is what Amazon did when they first introduced the Kindle. I think it is arguable whether selling rooted versions would sell more books or less. B&N obviously thinks less, so they probably think they would be taking a risk of loosing money on every sale of a rooted Nook and not get enough book buyers to make it worthwhile.
There is a price break down on the nook somewhere on the net, I belive the estimated cost of the nook is under $200. So they are not taking a loss, but not making much on the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoemaker View Post
Hmmm, I doubt they are selling them at a loss. Maybe the margin is minimal, I certainly would never sell that volume of product at a loss. Especially when someone can easily root it and download the Kindle app and buy my competitor's product.

After watching the video I think the author is trying to impress that Android type-devices are going to become the new "Ipod". Except that unlike the Ipod multiple companies will produce them and price pressure is going to kick in... something like the Walkman which started out in the hundreds and can now be had for $20.00 if you can find one (wow, aging myself there).

I really like the comment that if a book seller can make something like this then anyone can.
Yep I agree. To be fair most of these manufactures are coming out with better hardware than the nook, but are charging a premium price for it.

=X=
Old 03-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Yeah, I was just wondering out loud, and agree that they probably aren't losing money on each device, but just not making much. If this is the case, I think it is really dumb for these companies to make their new Android devices so expensive. If a book seller can make one so good and so cheap, why indeed can't an electronics company?!? It seems they are trying to sell their stuff at inflated Apple-like prices. Of course, they don't have the Apple cachet and you don't have to drink Kool-Aid to get one!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Yeah, I was just wondering out loud, and agree that they probably aren't losing money on each device, but just not making much. If this is the case, I think it is really dumb for these companies to make their new Android devices so expensive. If a book seller can make one so good and so cheap, why indeed can't an electronics company?!? It seems they are trying to sell their stuff at inflated Apple-like prices. Of course, they don't have the Apple cachet and you don't have to drink Kool-Aid to get one!
Apple an B&N have a huge advantage over the other HW vendors. They know that for every device they sell more revenue will be made by sales sold by their Market/Book Store. For them the more hardware they sell the more continued sales they will make. So as long as they don't lose money on the sales of HW they will rake in cash. For B&N and Apple making these devices hard to jailbreak/root is important, I'm sure future versions of the nook will be harder to root.

Hardware vendors don't have this luxury, all of their profits are all made from the sale of the hardware, and from accessories. So they are tailoring their hardware to high end users. Currently most Android tablets are high end and have better hardware than the nook. It's just well... the nook hardware is good enough for most . I imagine that in a year or so nook like hardware will start becoming more common.

=X=
Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #13
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

Now that the nook has a fully functional OS I find I use it for most of my task, emails, surf, write documents, read (PDF, ePUB, MOBI) and play games. OTOH my son and wife who have apple devices struggle with the limitation of the iPad and really only use their devices as itoys (games, surf).

=X=
Is that Nook Color you got with fully functional OS and using as a tablet? If so, which tutorial did you use to get it your device to that stage? Can you get Nook Classic to the similar stage?
PDF's are my main concern, I love eInk screen of Nook Classic but my golly is that device bad with just a bit more complex PDF's! I don't know if routing would help and if it'll keep my current library...

Last edited by varelov; 03-17-2011 at 12:58 AM.
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote