Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
liz123
liz123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best for my purposes?

I can't decide whether to get the Kindle w/WiFi and 3g or the Nook color.
Of course, I want this primarily as a reader, but was hoping to use it to send/receive emails and browse the web while traveling. I travel within the US and also in Europe and don't usually take a cell or laptop. Frankly, I was just about to purchase the NC, because, until today, I understood that using Kindles to read/send emails and browsing the web was possible but barely...A real hassle. Then, someone told me it was very easy. Also,another factor that I had not considered until today was the fact that Kindles have an antenna, making certain that access to WiFi was always possible.
Thoughts? Liz
liz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz123 View Post
I travel within the US and also in Europe and don't usually take a cell

The K3 is very simple to use for web based email. It also has a very long battery life. I know nothing about NC.

I would go try them both out in person to see which you prefer.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz123 View Post
I can't decide whether to get the Kindle w/WiFi and 3g or the Nook color.
Of course, I want this primarily as a reader, but was hoping to use it to send/receive emails and browse the web while traveling. I travel within the US and also in Europe and don't usually take a cell or laptop. Frankly, I was just about to purchase the NC, because, until today, I understood that using Kindles to read/send emails and browsing the web was possible but barely...A real hassle. Then, someone told me it was very easy. Also,another factor that I had not considered until today was the fact that Kindles have an antenna, making certain that access to WiFi was always possible.
Thoughts? Liz
Access to WiFi is only possible when there is accessible WiFi. If you have a 3G/WiFi Kindle then you will have access to the web. You will have access where ever there is 3G coverage, which gives you greater range then a WiFi only device. This does not mean that you will always have coverage, your coverage will be limited by the 3G coverage.

I have not used the browser on my DXG so I cannot comment. I would imagine that the browser on a tablet will be a great deal better then a browser on an e-reader. That said, I know a decent number of people who browse the web on their Kindles and say that it works fine for them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
those are both really nice devices, but kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

the main question imo is whether you prefer the eInk display, or the backlit color display. also, do you prefer a touch screen or buttons for page turning? i'd focus on the reader features primarily.

i would not want to do much www browsing on my K3 due to the clunky interface. NC would be better for the www, but i would not want to type many emails on the NC due to the touch screen keyboard. for a quick weather report check or a couple of short emails i think either would be OK.

the 3g on the K3 is neat to have and might give it the nod as a travel device not backed up by laptop or smart phone.

i really like being able to email books to my K3 rather than hooking it up to the computer. i don't know if the NC has this functionality.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
What's more relevant for you: having internet/email access or be able to read books. Also, did you check the titles or books you want in B&N and/or Amazon online store? I would suggest to confirm prices and book's availability before getting any device.

Now, if you really need a device than can browse the Internet and in an "ok" manner, the Nook Color is for you. Kindle will let you browse the Internet and without the need of wifi (for the 3G model) but is more suitable for emails and basic stuff, no fancy pages with graphics or those kind of things. I also find more comfortable writing long emails with the Nook Color instead of Kindle; Kindle physical keyboard is ok but writing long emails is more difficult.

On the other hand, if you are serious about reading, nothing compares to e-ink. Kindle is light and really portable and reading for hours with proper light is really easy for your eyes.

As an alternative, you can also get a Galaxy Tab. Full access to Android market out of the box and you can read and write emails all the time, even when no wifi is available and in a more secure manner. You will have access to Kindle, B&N, Sony, Kobo, etc, is like having a mini computer in your pocket.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-16-2011 at 12:19 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert