Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
removing fingerprints from touch screen?

How can I clean fingerprints off my touch screen? I only see them from certain angles, but they bother me. Can I use a spray of isopropal alcohol and a soft cloth? or would the alcohol be bad for the screen coating?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Start with a dry microfiber cloth. If that doesn't work moisten it slightly with water (not enough to squeeze ANY out or drip).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Andyp133
Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PRS 505, PRS 350, Kobo Aura HD
I wipe screen gently with spectacles moist lens wipes. I am ultra cautious about scratches though as my first Sony 350 went back to the shop after just 5 days when i discovered a 1/4 inch scratch on it. This was before i had wiped it though with anything and it had not been out of the house or even put in a pocket. Didn't see the scratch at all for few days as was only visible if it had a lamp shining directly onto the screen.
Andyp133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Water should work just fine. I don't see how you can get fingerprints all over it. Do you have sweaty palms or oily hands?
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no, I used lotion on my hands, forgot I had it on, and started reading. (dumb!)
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Not so dumb, easy to do something like this with fried foods as well . . .

Once I got used to using a little care about swiping the screen with something wet or greasy on my hands, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to keep the touch screen clear of fingerprints and smudges, but accidents do happen, so if you need to clean your screen here are some thoughts -

A clean white soft cotton t-shirt works every bit as well as a microfiber cloth, in a pinch.

As someone suggested, you can start out with a gentle circular wiping to lift off dust.

If it needs more than that, I just breath lightly on the screen to provide a little moisture.

If you have major greasy streaks, the best thing to use is a 'Windex' style commercial glass cleaner, but DON'T spray this on the screen.

Instead, hold your dry clean cotton cloth about 18 inches away and give THAT (not the screen) the lightest possible spritz. You will be absolutely amazed how LITTLE cleaner on the cloth will do the job (basically if it feels at all wet to the touch, thats too much!)

If you don't have Windex or something similar, I have used a 10% solution of Isopropyl alcohol and distilled water with a drop or two of dish soap in a plant sprayer and that seems to do a real nice job cleaning glass as well.

The key thing to remember, regardless of what you use, is - You don't want it pooling on the screen and dripping into the electronics, so LESS IS MORE. Just remember, to spray the cloth, not the screen, and if it feels damp, THAT'S PROBABLY TOO MUCH.

As long as you are careful not to use a sopping wet cloth, a gentle cleaning using a slightly dampened cloth is preferable to the alternative of exerting a lot of pressure trying to get off smudges with a dry cloth, because excessive pressure on an e-ink screen can break it electronically even if the glass doesn't crack.

Last edited by delphin; 02-05-2011 at 05:48 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
I just use some cleaning solution for TV screens sprayed onto a portion of a microfiber cloth. I use the dry portion of the cloth to dry off the screen then its done. I imagine water or isopropyl alcohol would be just as good.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Quote:
In that case some diluted isopropyl should be fine. I would just wipe it down with pure water afterwards.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard

why wipe it down with water after? does the alcohol leave a residue?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I have been using Windex and a soft cloth on my 505's screen for 3 years and on my 950's screen for 3 months without a problem.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
brbubba
Connoisseur

Quote:
why wipe it down with water after? does the alcohol leave a residue?
There's some anecdotal evidence that over time it may have an adverse reaction with certain plastics. Without knowing what type of plastic it is I can't actually look it up. I doubt there will be a problem but I'd rather CYA than be sorry. Typically speaking though, I've never had any problems with diluted Isopropyl and screens of any type, except the occasion mild residue/streaking effect, which you can take off water.

EDIT: Just looked up interactions with all plastics and they range from Good to Excellent. So short of spraying it everyday, you will probably be ok.

Last edited by brbubba; 02-05-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As mentioned above, microfibre cleaning cloths (the kind sold to clean glasses and camera lenses) work very well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Call me anal about this but I never touch my 650 with my fingers, precisely for that reason. I only use the small pen/rod thing that comes with it.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #14
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
If it needs more than that, I just breath lightly on the screen to provide a little moisture.
I have never had to do anything more in depth than this. A good puff of hot air is great for cleaning your screen. I always keep a small grey microfibre cloth cut to fit the screen sandwiched in between the cover of my case and the screen. That way I always have a cleaning cloth handy. I despise fingerprints!!!!!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:26 AM   #15
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyp133 View Post
I am ultra cautious about scratches though as my first Sony 350 went back to the shop after just 5 days when i discovered a 1/4 inch scratch on it.
So, did they replace it without any extra charge?

I've just ordered a PRS-650 from the US, to be brought to be brought to me in Nigeria and frankly, I'm just plain petrified! Reading through the forums, I've seen so many posts about defective readers, dead on arrival readers, poor battery life, mysterious screen damage after just a few days, etc.

Given that there is almost no way for me to return it, I really am fervently hoping that my reader arrives intact and free from any defect. Please!!

I'm sure it's hardly the norm, but the thought that it could happen to me is almost unbearable especially as I payed over $300 for it due to shipping, clearing, customs, etc.

Back to the topic, I should assume that what works for a laptop screen should work for an ereader screen.

Last edited by Fortissimo; 02-06-2011 at 03:31 AM. Reason: To address the original post
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote