Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
geeksquadofun
geeksquadofun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
ePub on KIndle

I keep reading about the Kindle not supporting ePub format.

I have some books in ePub and I used Calibre to convert to MOBI and am satisfied....

Do I not understand the issue ?

Thanks.
geeksquadofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Unprotected ePub files do convert fine into mobi files to read on the Kindle. I've never had any issues with converting these.

The issue is with protected DRMd ePub files as you would need to remove the protection first before conversion. And also many library books which are also in the ePub format.

It isn't a big issue for myself but it is for some.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Also, removing DRM is viewed as illegal in some countries.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Don0801
Don0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle 3 wi-fi
> I keep reading about the Kindle not supporting ePub format.
This means Kindle doesn't support it natively. For example, if you copy an ePub file directly to Kindle (to its "document" directory), your Kindle simply won't show it.

Also, Amazon's in-house conversion tool won't accept it if you email it to your Kindle account.

>... convert to MOBI and am satisfied....
Then, it's "MOBI" you're dealing with now, not ePub.
Don0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Renting books from the library

Most eBooks from the library are protected DRM epubs which can't be converted. PDF barely works on the KOBO not sure about the Kindle the panning around the page sucks.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
terriblue
terriblue began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2; Sony PRS 300
why I have a second reader

I love my Kindle 2 because of its lightness and the accessibility of controls, but I recently acquired a Sony Pocket Reader 300--cheaply--when the new readers came out solely for the purpose of reading epub library books. I have access to an extensive collection. I really don't like the Sony's page turning arrangement, but it works well for this purpose. I would rather have just stayed with Kindle, but that did not seem to be an option. For the record, the books I'm reading are not books that I would have paid for from Amazon or a bookstore. I would have just gone to the local library.
terriblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
geeksquadofun
geeksquadofun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0801 View Post
> I keep reading about the Kindle not supporting ePub format.
This means Kindle doesn't support it natively. For example, if you copy an ePub file directly to Kindle (to its "document" directory), your Kindle simply won't show it.

Also, Amazon's in-house conversion tool won't accept it if you email it to your Kindle account.

>... convert to MOBI and am satisfied....
Then, it's "MOBI" you're dealing with now, not ePub.
I understand now - DRM protected ePub books. OK.

I have only worked with free ePub books and have not had issue with the extra step of converting to MOBI.

Thanks. Got it.
geeksquadofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Beyond that, having to convert is another step. Sure, it only takes a couple minutes in Calibre. But after a few hundred books, it adds up.

So does the file size. I guess epub uses a better compression, they are usually only about 70% of the size of a mobi file. Again, not an issue on a case by case basis, but after awhile it adds up.

And simply working with epub is a lot better than mobi. Spot a typo in an epub? Fire up sigil and fix it. There's nothing like that for mobi.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Any easy epub viewers for Windows? At this point I'm just curious what/how they look compared with Kindle's mobi format? Or compared to converting epub to mobi?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
There's a Firefox epub reader add-on.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
There's also Lucidor, which can be installed as a Firefox add-on (not compatible with ePubReader) or standalone (works better).

The ePub you should try to get an idea of just what the format is capable of is the version of Jerome K. Jerome's comedic classic, Three Men in a Boat, done by one of our very own MR moderators. Looks absolutely marvelous as-is, turns to rubbish once converted to mobi.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #12
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
You can use the duokan firmware to read epubs now can't you, I thought I read the english translation was released today...
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #13
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Any easy epub viewers for Windows? At this point I'm just curious what/how they look compared with Kindle's mobi format? Or compared to converting epub to mobi?
The Firefox eppubreader is very good as clicking on an epub file on the Internet will immediately open it up in the browser. Easy to install too.

Most sellers of devices like Kindle, Nook, Kobo, etc. also have PC/Mac readers, and all but the Kindle4PC will probably handle epub The best of the epub PC/Mac readers, in my opinion, is the Nookstudy, as you can have multiple books open at one time, view two parts of a book at the same time, use a one-page or two-page format, take notes and save or print them outside the reader, etc. I have found the others rather stiff and lacking in features.
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #14
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Thanks for all the suggestions and that book reference.

I installed Lucidor and see the graphics of "Three Men in a Boat." I will play with conversion and see what's what.

Again, thanks.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #15
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Also, removing DRM is viewed as illegal in some countries.
It shouldn't be pronounced illegal upto the point you are doing it for yourself and abstain from uploading, emailing, or using any other means of mass distribution. IMO, the DRM removed file must be deleted as soon as you are done with it.

Secondly, we don't know whether authors llike it or not. (Even if we do it for home and personal use.) Finally, it's their work and, of course, intellectual property.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote