It's all a hoax invented by the credit card companies. 4 33.33%
YES! It's true, head for the hills! 2 16.67%
Maybe these Myans knew what they were talking about. 2 16.67%
But the archeologists are REALLY stretching it. 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Who is Bolon Yokte?

Only 1100 days (or so) to go! Head for the hills! If there are any left!

What do YOU think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Eberl (Tulane University, New Orleans, USA) and
Christian Prager (University of Bonn, Germany)

Bolon Yokte K’u: Maya conceptions of war, conflict, and the underworld.

The deity Bolon Yokte K’u is shown here to have had a consistent association
with underworld, conflict, and war from the beginning of the Classic period
into Colonial times. Bolon Yokte K’u provides not only an insight into the
Maya conceptions of conflict but is also helpful to see how the conceptions
were implemented by the elite. The authors demonstrate that the deity is a
recurrent theme in Classic period inscriptions, Postclassic codices and the
Books of Chilam Balam from the Colonial period. The variety of documents
allows them to apply a diachronic perspective that heightens the
understanding of the deity and that evinces variation over time. The
concomitant appearance of Bolon Yokte K’u in art and writing enables the
authors to identify the iconographic attributes of the deity. Several
monuments can be shown to depict elite persons dressed up as Bolon Yokte
K’u. The identification of Bolon Yokte K’u on the "Vase of the Seven Gods"
(K2796) underscores its importance as one of the gods that were present
during the creation of the present world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawil
Here's a quick translation of the final passage of
Tortuguero Monument 6, recording the 2012 Bak'tun ending:

Tzuhtz-(a)j-oom u(y)-uxlajuun pik(ta) Chan Ajaw ux(-te') Uniiw. Uht-oom ?
Y-em(al)?? Bolon Yookte' K'uh ta ?.

"The Thirteenth 'Bak'tun" will be finished (on) Four Ajaw, the Third of Uniiw (K'ank'in). ? will occur.
(It will be) the descent(??) of the Nine Support? God(s) to the ?."

This is it. The term following uht-oom is the main puzzle, and largely effaced. The "descent" reference is highly tentative, too. The enigmatic deity Bolon Yookte' K'uh has been known for some time from many sources, and I suspect that he (or they) has some tangential relationship to the Principal Bird Deity, as well as war associations.

Interestingly, he is a protagonist in the deep time mythology of Palenque, as recorded on Palenaue's Temple XIV tablet. A long-lasting character who's still around somewhere waiting, I suppose.

Last edited by wodin; 10-11-2009 at 11:03 AM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
You know, apocalypse can mean enlightment. Which could be just what will happen. After all, after a calendar ends, there's another one. Don't Panic!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think the movie is going to be spectacular trash, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

However, I'm wondering who died and made the Mayans boss of the Apocalypse? I'll stump for Juliette's "enlightenment" myself (I'm prone to rare bouts of delusional optimism).
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:13 AM   #4
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I think the movie is going to be spectacular trash, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

However, I'm wondering who died and made the Mayans boss of the Apocalypse? I'll stump for Juliette's "enlightenment" myself (I'm prone to rare bouts of delusional optimism).
We're on the same tune lovely super-CGI scenes!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
You know, apocalypse can mean enlightment. Which could be just what will happen. After all, after a calendar ends, there's another one. Don't Panic!
The Born Again Christians would call it "The Millennium". They might not be too far off either.

But does that mean were in the 7 year reign of the Beast? And does that mean "O" is ...

NAW!!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:00 AM   #6
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post

Oh yes! I love large scale CGI movies about thing gone horribly bad.

Too bad they usually manage to fark them up... Like "Day after Tomorrow"... horrible horrible, bad bad!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
The Born Again Christians would call it "The Millennium". They might not be too far off either.

But does that mean were in the 7 year reign of the Beast? And does that mean "O" is ...

NAW!!
Ow, I meant enlightment in a very peaceful, concrete and philosophical way
Old 10-12-2009, 05:13 AM   #8
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Too bad they usually manage to fark them up... Like "Day after Tomorrow"... horrible horrible, bad bad!
At least it's not Armageddon- the 1998 movie although they messed up the part about using paper to insulate, you don't roll it (that's the technique to turn it into fuel for any stove!), you put it as it is around the body. Now this is a thing you can't do with an ereader
Old 10-12-2009, 05:20 AM   #9
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
At least it's not Armageddon- the 1998 movie although they messed up the part about using paper to insulate, you don't roll it (that's the technique to turn it into fuel for any stove!), you put it as it is around the body. Now this is a thing you can't do with an ereader
Armageddon... Oh wow, I had totally managed to shove any reference to that horrid piece of horsemanure of a movie into the deepest, darkest dungeons of what I refer to as my memory.

Thank you so much for dragging it screaming and kicking into the light again. I will need therapy now
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #10
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Armageddon... Oh wow, I had totally managed to shove any reference to that horrid piece of horsemanure of a movie into the deepest, darkest dungeons of what I refer to as my memory.

Thank you so much for dragging it screaming and kicking into the light again. I will need therapy now
It was awful, wasn't it? Plus it had all those ads that proposed it as the next best thing. OW.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Mayan Calendar Warns Of Cataclysmic Roland Emmerich Film On Nov. 13
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
At the end of the movie you find out that Bolon Yokte is really Verbal Kint.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #13
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
At the end of the movie you find out that Bolon Yokte is really Verbal Kint.
At least warn us there's a spoiler coming up
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, end of the world, mayan, prophecy, prophesy