Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 02:48 AM   #16
Anggun
Enthusiast
Anggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by haliava View Post
Interesting. Decrypts recently loaded (via DE) pdf's just fine. Can't decrypt the file that was bought ages ago and imported in DE. Error message is "can't find book session key".
I got the same error at first. Then, I downloaded the books again. And I found a few books which I was able to decrypt (so say the prompt) but when I try to open them, it keeps saying the files are damaged.
The common denominator among all those that turned out this way is that they are downloaded thru .acsm and not ebx.etd...
Then, I tried with a test file from diesel-ebooks (using .acsm) and I was able to open it... Yet, I got the previous error with the books I bought from there.
Anggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:08 AM   #17
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anggun View Post
I got the same error at first. Then, I downloaded the books again. And I found a few books which I was able to decrypt (so say the prompt) but when I try to open them, it keeps saying the files are damaged.
The common denominator among all those that turned out this way is that they are downloaded thru .acsm and not ebx.etd...
Then, I tried with a test file from diesel-ebooks (using .acsm) and I was able to open it... Yet, I got the previous error with the books I bought from there.
moved it ...

Last edited by joblack; 02-26-2009 at 04:14 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:39 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well done!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #19
i♥cabbages
Leafy greens connoisseur
i♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anggun View Post
This will only work with books downloaded or activated with Digital Editions, but should work for all of them. If you (or anyone else) has a PDF which opens in DE but doesn't decrypt properly, please e-mail your key file and the PDF file to <i.u2665.cabbages@gmail.com> and I'll try to sort it out.
i♥cabbages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #20
haliava
haliava began at the beginning.

Device: N950/Kindle 3/PRS T1/DR 1000/Kyobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by i♥cabbages View Post
If you (or anyone else) has a PDF which opens in DE but doesn't decrypt properly, please e-mail your key file and the PDF file to <i.u2665.cabbages@gmail.com> and I'll try to sort it out.
Sure. Bought from ediesel w/Acrobat Reader 6 years ago. Imported into DE when DE for Sony Reader came out, opens fine in DE on Windows as well.
haliava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #21
elpheaba
elpheaba began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1, Sony Prs-700, Kindle DX
I really want topaz next, all the books I want on Amazon are in topaz.
elpheaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #22
soalla
soalla began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-505
Thanks, man, that's excellent news!
I've yet to try it but I'm sure it'll do nicely, as the ePub one! Thanks again!!
soalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #23
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by haliava View Post
Sure. Bought from ediesel w/Acrobat Reader 6 years ago. Imported into DE when DE for Sony Reader came out, opens fine in DE on Windows as well.
Aah, I bet that's it. PDF files downloaded by Acrobat 6 and Acrobat 7 are slightly different than those downloaded directly by Digital Editions. The old "find 'Print First' in the PDF file and modify it, then open it in Acrobat 6" trick wouldn't work in Digital Editions-downloaded files, because there was no "Print First" line to find.

If there's no way to re-download the PDF with Digital Editions, it may require another version of the script to strip the DRM...
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #24
salyavin
salyavin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma and Boox Nova 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you need a mask and cape.
More like he needs a beer for a job well done.
salyavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
More like he needs a beer for a job well done.
Yea... if he is old enough to drink.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #26
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One remark:

Of course the script doesn't remove (personal tracking) ids in the content (not the metadata) of the PDF. That means if the ebook provider inserted some tracking URIs (check for the codeword with a hex editor or search for hyperlinks) you have to remove and substitute it yourself. The same occures with watermarks or similar methods.

I have found a personal tracking id in an URI in my providers pdf so it is recommended to check for that before you 'loose' your ebook to somebody else (to be clear: of course I don't support piracy) ...

Alternatively you can add the substitute command in the

def escape_string(self, string):

function (worked for my provider).

Last edited by joblack; 02-26-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I have found a personal tracking id in an URI in my providers pdf so it is recommended to check for that before you 'loose' your ebook to somebody else ...
We all assume you are doing the right thing and only using this on eBooks that you have purchased for your own use and you aren't passing out ebooks after you decrypt them.

If you aren't "loosing" the books, as you shouldn't be any way there is no need to worry about identifying info on the files.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #28
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
We all assume you are doing the right thing and only using this on eBooks that you have purchased for your own use and you aren't passing out ebooks after you decrypt them.

If you aren't "loosing" the books, as you shouldn't be any way there is no need to worry about identifying info on the files.

BOb
You're right in that point (over the time I have bought over 200 drm'ed ebooks for myself) but I still was shocked that they included some tracking items in my ebook.

Its none of their business how long I read which ebook. I'm very concerned about my privacy.

They aren't putting some wireless account reading devices on paperback books.

Last edited by joblack; 02-26-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #29
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I have found a personal tracking id in an URI in my providers pdf so it is recommended to check for that before you 'loose' your ebook to somebody else ...
That doesn't sound so bad to me, actually. I think I might be a fan of "social DRM." It doesn't prevent you from using the file in any particular way or sharing it with any particular person, but provides some disincentive for out-right piracy (yarr!).
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #30
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
That doesn't sound so bad to me, actually. I think I might be a fan of "social DRM." It doesn't prevent you from using the file in any particular way or sharing it with any particular person, but provides some disincentive for out-right piracy (yarr!).
Think about a device which records when you're sleeping, when you're eating, when you're at the bathroom and when you're having sex.

Well, for some people that is not a problem but in my opinion it's none of their business what I do in my free time (as long as it's in the law).

And think about the possibilities. Imagine they would get that you were reading a book about sex longer than the average pearson. How long would it take that somebody will call you and make you an offer related to that ...