Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #1426
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Waiting for #2 as well, although I still have some catching up to do.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #1427
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool assorted stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
I'm also waiting for #2 on your list.

As well as Mountain Echoes (The Walker Papers) by C.E. Murphy - Feb 19, 2013 (#8, I think)
Hmmmm....I'll look on amazon for that author/series...ah ha! $5.54 for book 1, Urban Shaman! The title and the price grabbed me (as I like native american characters and mythology -'Injun Joe' and 'skinwalker' [and cheap] for instance) and so I grabbed up a copy! Ah, my ever-expanding TBR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Waiting for #2 as well, although I still have some catching up to do.
"Catching up", it'll never happen!!

Last edited by alansplace; 12-20-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: fix text
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #1428
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I'm more than halfway through Cold Days; don't dare read any of the comments since it came out in case any of you are talking about it!! Good so far -- I can't believe how many things keep happening! You think you know what the story is about, and who the players are and whoop! there goes that rug out from under you again!!

I'll be back and catch up on the threads I missed after I finish the book.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #1429
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Oh man, I have finally come to like the Dresden files a lot (started with Storm Front and did not like it so much, mainly because I thought it quite short for 10$).

Now I start reading this thread and realize it is 96 pages so far ... need to put my nose down to it and start reading seriously. Am so far on book 9.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #1430
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Just finished Cold Days. I am stunned.

Spoiler:
Poor Molly, hasn't she gone through enough? I think she will do well though. Maybe it will give her something else to focus on other than Harry. Or the mantle will make the feelings toward him even more intense. Can't wait to find out.

I missed not having Lea, she was amazing in Ghost Story. I hope she's back for the next book.

It was nice to see Murphy being called by her first name. She really needs to take up the sword already. It's like she's drifting in the middle of nowhere. I think it would really help her emotionally to have a steady "job".

I knew there was waaaay more to Mac than met the eye.

Soooooo when's the next book coming out?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #1431
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Oh man, I have finally come to like the Dresden files a lot (started with Storm Front and did not like it so much, mainly because I thought it quite short for 10$).

Now I start reading this thread and realize it is 96 pages so far ... need to put my nose down to it and start reading seriously. Am so far on book 9.

Best regards,
Andy
I heard the books have excellent re-read value. Alan (aka alansplace) already reread the series at leat twice best to my knowledge (before Ghost Story and Cold Days came out). Can't say that myself yet, as I am only into Proven Guilty first time around. Seeing how much these books are so tightly woven into each other, I can already imagine how much more I will get out of them rereading them. For me it did not even take to finish the first chapter in Storm Front to be hooked to the series.

Welcome to the crazy huge world of the Dresden-verse. We usually don't bite here in this thread. Glad you like and enjoy the series.

duckie
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #1432
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I heard the books have excellent re-read value. Alan (aka alansplace) already reread the series at leat twice best to my knowledge (before Ghost Story and Cold Days came out). Can't say that myself yet, as I am only into Proven Guilty first time around. Seeing how much these books are so tightly woven into each other, I can already imagine how much more I will get out of them rereading them. For me it did not even take to finish the first chapter in Storm Front to be hooked to the series.

Welcome to the crazy huge world of the Dresden-verse. We usually don't bite here in this thread. Glad you like and enjoy the series.

duckie
I reread the series 4 times now. Just as good as the first time around
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #1433
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool assorted stuff

Quote:
....As well as Mountain Echoes (The Walker Papers) by C.E. Murphy - Feb 19, 2013 (#8, I think)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Hmmmm....I'll look on amazon for that author/series...ah ha! $5.54 for book 1, Urban Shaman! The title and the price grabbed me (as I like native american characters and mythology -'Injun Joe' and 'skinwalker' [and cheap] for instance) and so I grabbed up a copy! Ah, my ever-expanding TBR!!
I'm reading the first of that series called the Walker Papers by C.E. Murphy. She's kinda' interesting to me as she was born in Homer Alaska (I lived in Alaska for 1/2 of the 60's), writes this Urban Fantasy (presently my favorite genre) series about a 27 year old female native American Shaman and Catie Murphy (the author's actual name) presently lives in Ireland (a lot of Celtic mythology seems to be included in this first book, Urban Shaman). Also my college degree is in Anthropology and am interested in both Celtic and Native American mythology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I'm more than halfway through Cold Days; don't dare read any of the comments since it came out in case any of you are talking about it!! Good so far -- I can't believe how many things keep happening! You think you know what the story is about, and who the players are and whoop! there goes that rug out from under you again!!

I'll be back and catch up on the threads I missed after I finish the book.
Oh don't stop checking in here, just avoid clicking on spoilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post

If you've gotten to book 9 you're definately one of us, that is 'HOOKED'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Just finished Cold Days. I am stunned.

Spoiler:
Poor Molly, hasn't she gone through enough? I think she will do well though. Maybe it will give her something else to focus on other than Harry. Or the mantle will make the feelings toward him even more intense. Can't wait to find out.

I missed not having Lea, she was amazing in Ghost Story. I hope she's back for the next book.

It was nice to see Murphy being called by her first name. She really needs to take up the sword already. It's like she's drifting in the middle of nowhere. I think it would really help her emotionally to have a steady "job".

I knew there was waaaay more to Mac than met the eye.

Soooooo when's the next book coming out?
My guess is Spring or early Summer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Gee, you must be 'HOOKED'! too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I reread the series 4 times now. Just as good as the first time around
Well that beats my 3 times, oh well.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #1434
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I'm reading the first of that series called the Walker Papers by C.E. Murphy. She's kinda' interesting to me as she was born in Homer Alaska (I lived in Alaska for 1/2 of the 60's), writes this Urban Fantasy (presently my favorite genre) series about a 27 year old female native American Shaman and Catie Murphy (the author's actual name) presently lives in Ireland (a lot of Celtic mythology seems to be included in this first book, Urban Shaman). Also my college degree is in Anthropology and am interested in both Celtic and Native American mythology.

You are going to love this series.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #1435
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Native American protagonists

Quote:
You are going to love this series.
I'm sure thinking that. Have you tried any of these:

Leaphorn & Chee by Tony Hillerman (not Urban Fantasy)
Kate Shugak by Dana Stabenow (also Alaska borne and raised), (not Urban Fantasy)
Jane Yellowrock by Faith Hunter
Jennifer Talldeer By Mercedes Lackey (sadly there are only 2, one is a novel, Sacred Ground, and the other is a novella in Trio of Sorcery.

Of course Celtic Mythology is a staple of most Urban Fantasy.

Last edited by alansplace; 12-21-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #1436
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I love seeing our happy band of Dresdenites!

Polka Will Never Die!!

Theres an honorable mention in the comments!

Last edited by Nyssa; 12-21-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #1437
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Waldo Butters

Quote:

Polka Will Never Die!!

Theres an honorable mention in the comments!
I can see and hear it now (and will, every time I read Dead Beat)! Harry & Butters on Sue's back with Butters playing that number on his one-man-strap-on-polka-machine, riding into battle!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #1438
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
I can see and hear it now (and will, every time I read Dead Beat)! Harry & Butters on Sue's back with Butters playing that number on his one-man-strap-on-polka-machine, riding into battle!
Even better is the image of Morgan playing that thing while Butters goes to do some medical stuff.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #1439
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I'm sure thinking that. Have you tried any of these:

Leaphorn & Chee by Tony Hillerman (not Urban Fantasy)
Kate Shugak by Dana Stabenow (also Alaska borne and raised), (not Urban Fantasy)
Jane Yellowrock by Faith Hunter
Jennifer Talldeer By Mercedes Lackey (sadly there are only 2, one is a novel, Sacred Ground, and the other is a novella in Trio of Sorcery.

Of course Celtic Mythology is a staple of most Urban Fantasy.

I haven't tried any of these but have heard of a couple of these authors.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #1440
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Gee, you must be 'HOOKED'! too!
What gave that away. You are absolutely right about that.

Quote:

Polka Will Never Die!!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
Even better is the image of Morgan playing that thing while Butters goes to do some medical stuff.
Oh no, I did NOT want to have an audio book. Thanks a lot.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy