Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #31
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Based on the photos, it seems like some opaque tape around the edge might be a good idea-- otherwise, the page area would tend to get a bit washed out by the edge glare. Or is that just an artifact of the photo?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #32
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Based on the photos Sea-Los posted, the screen with the wedge light looks remarkably like the EB-1150 screen.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #33
sea_los
sea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 / Kindle on iPhone / Sony Reader PRS-505 / eReader on iPhone
A word of warning. I just got back from the sony store where I exchanged my first wedge case due to scratches on the right 1/2 inch of the wedge. It was very annoying. Not sure if this is an isolated incident in the quality control, but I would suggest that if you buy the case at the sony store that they open it up for you to check. The salesperson at the Valley Fair mall in San Jose opened it on his suggestion saying "I don't want you to get another scratched one." Very cool of them to do and they didn't even question my request for an exchange.

Cheers,
Sealos
sea_los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #34
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_los View Post
Reading without the light is fine. Didn't have any issues reading the text.
Do I understand it right, that the light screen is always on top of eInk. Even if you read at day time?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #35
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
I want to see more about the silicon case!
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #36
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames View Post
I want to see more about the silicon case!
The site description says:
Quote:
A rugged, Water Resistant cover ideal when enjoying your Reader on the beach, in the garden or by the pool. Protect your Reader against splashes, rain and even accidental drink spills.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #37
stgben
Enthusiast
stgben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Do I understand it right, that the light screen is always on top of eInk. Even if you read at day time?
This is not the case at all. It takes but a second to remove the light portion. I've thrown in some more pictures for your enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac62ead6.jpg
Views:	1247
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	14745   Click image for larger version

Name:	41a034ce.jpg
Views:	1210
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	14746   Click image for larger version

Name:	86b65bcb.jpg
Views:	1354
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	14747  
stgben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #38
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Is the silicon case only for non-us stores?
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #39
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaulz View Post
WAY overpriced, but I just ordered one anyway. It's exactly what I've been waiting for since backlit e-ink devices are out of the question right now.
And backlit E Ink devices forever will be without a backlight. If they added a backlight, would you even notice? The displays are opaque.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #40
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
I got my lighted case today and the descriptions by others above are spot on.

It's very well designed and well made--as is to be expected from a Sony product.

The case is dark blue, the same color as the blue case included with the blue 505. I have both the blue & silver 505's and I prefer this color case to the beige one included with the silver 505. The stitching seems a bit deeper around the outside edge of the case and has a little more expensive look than the included case

It has a glass-like plate (actually plastic) which falls right over the screen, exactly the right size. The plate is ringed with blue LED's and the effect is kinda like the old neon signs. It has 2 settings: brightest and not so bright.

It should be great for someone who reads in bed and doesn't want to disturb their spouse. I don't like the LED effect myself, and prefer the warmer incandescent type of illumination, even though incandescents eat batteries.

Price seems a bit high, but a case alone is $30 and a light $25, so it is about right.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #41
TXCheng
TXCheng began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thumbs up Got Reading Light

I just got mine today. I am also very impressed with the build of this unit. Has two light intensities, but the lighting doesn't appear to be completely even across the page. Not bad, but I can detect it. Pretty thin considering the package. It will be nice to carry this thing because, 1) it protects the screen and 2) illuminates without carrying bulky book lights that you have to clamp on the case. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

Regards,

Andy
TXCheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #42
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Repeating my question, now that more of you have these -- have you tried rechargeable batteries yet? Notice any difference? I ask because typical NiMH delivers a little less voltage.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:03 PM   #43
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Repeating my question, now that more of you have these -- have you tried rechargeable batteries yet? Notice any difference? I ask because typical NiMH delivers a little less voltage.
I just got mine today and plan to use NiHM batteries. I'll let you know how it looks.

Playing with it so far I have to say that I'm very excited. This fixes the only real downside to leaving my backlit reading device almost two years ago. I tried every booklight solution and finally ended up wearing a stupid head lamp. Every time I roll on my left side in bed I shoot the light in my wife's eyes and wake her up. This is much better!

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:42 AM   #44
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
I hope they have these at the Sony Store in the Dolphin mall in Miami so my girlfriend can buy it for me
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #45
greeny1
greeny1 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Anyone knows where to buy this in germany (or europe) ?
greeny1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!