Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
KWhytte
Enthusiast
KWhytte began at the beginning.

Device: None
How to synch two libraries?

I am adding new books to the library on my pc and I want to sync it to a library in an external drive once a month or so

PS: They are both seperate calibre portable programs( and libraries)

kind regards
KWhytte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhytte View Post
I am adding new books to the library on my pc and I want to sync it to a library in an external drive once a month or so

PS: They are both seperate calibre portable programs( and libraries)

kind regards
I assume you are running on Windows? I use RichCopy (free from Microsoft) to do this. I am sure there are lots of alternatives.

Last edited by itimpi; 09-16-2012 at 05:37 PM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
KWhytte
Enthusiast

Yes windows,

I assume there's no sync libraries function within the program

maybe a plugin needed if not a function within a program

How about exporting/copying the latest books / the new additions from 1 library to another?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
KWhytte
Enthusiast

No solutions yet?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
No solutions yet?
Post 2 is a solution.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
How about exporting/copying the latest books / the new additions from 1 library to another?
Copy to Library. Look for it on the context menu. From Origin Library, Copy To Library to Destination Library. It's a manual process.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-16-2012 at 07:27 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
KWhytte
Enthusiast

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Copy to Library. Look for it on the context menu. From Origin Library, Copy To Library to Destination Library. It's a manual process.
"Copy to Library option" doesn't give me the other library location.

How can I introduce one library to another library which sits under a seperate disk and under a separate calibre portable set up please?

ie: I have 2 separate calibre portables in 2 different disks (one is external)
each needs to be synchronized

if no sync function, then there must be "copy to other library with a manual searching facility to find the other library, right?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"Copy to Library option" doesn't give me the other library location.
I don't see why it won't. Simply open the first library then switch to the second library, then switch back to the original library. Now copy to the second library.

Quote:
then there must be "copy to other library with a manual searching facility to find the other library, right?
I don't see this manual path change in "Copy to" function. It would be a nice addition.

I still think simply syncing the two using OS tools is the simplest, read through this thread.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And whatever you do, ensure only 1 instance of calibre at a time is accessing any one library.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
KWhytte
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't see why it won't. Simply open the first library then switch to the second library, then switch back to the original library. Now copy to the second library.

I don't see this manual path change in "Copy to" function. It would be a nice addition.

I still think simply syncing the two using OS tools is the simplest, read through this thread.
Thank you for that.
I opened the first library.
Then the program doesn't know the second library since the other library is within another calibre portable folder.
Therefore I need to point the second library via windows explorer at least and since 2 copies of the calibre run separate libraries, one needs to be introduced to another one via some interface which I cannot find it

If the program hasn't got that interface I cannot copy a book from "library A of "calibre portable A" to library B of "calibre portable B" which is in another disk anyway
Old 09-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
unboggling
Wizard

Under the library icon you can direct the unportable instance of calibre to find the library in the portable folder, if that portable drive is connected. It's the Switch/Create Library command, and the option to use the previously existing library at the new location which you can navigate to with the computer button to right of New Location box.

Don't write to the same library from 2 different instances of calibre either, as a general rule. In the case of copy to library, I'm not sure, that might be an exception.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't see why it won't. Simply open the first library then switch to the second library, then switch back to the original library. Now copy to the second library.Thank you for that.
Then the program doesn't know the second library since the other library is within another calibre portable folder.
Shouldn't make a difference, following my steps will introduce the second library to the first one and when you go to Copy the second should now be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Don't write to the same library from 2 different instances of calibre either, as a general rule. In the case of copy to library, I'm not sure, that might be an exception.
You can't run the two at the same time. Copying between libraries is fine.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-16-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
KWhytte
Enthusiast

OK, I need to know which of the followings circle(s) to be ticked after the selection of the second library please
Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
OK, I need to know which of the followings circle(s) to be ticked after the selection of the second library please
The top option. It says to use the library that exists at the new location.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
KWhytte
Enthusiast

Thank you again.

I am sorry to be pedantic
But "use the previously existing library at the new location" has been kind of contradictory in terms from a point of view, so I have avoided whenever I come to that point in the past.

Since you now confirm that I'll pick that option, I'll go ahead