Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #31
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Well, I am going to try that anyway to see if it works. I'm running the uninstaller and we'll see what happens.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
Not sure if the hack is even still running as I don't have a screensaver folder when I connect my Kindle to my computer now. Looks like the update killed my jailbreak AND the hack.
If you've modified the system in any way, it's STRONGLY recommended to remove these mods before applying an update.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #33
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
try to uninstall screensaver hack if any. (solved this problem for so)
That did it!! Any idea if the jailbreak and screensaver hack can be installed over the 5.1 update?

(and I apologize for monopolizing this thread. I am very relieved though that my power button is operational again!!)
Old 04-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #34
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
That did it!! Any idea if the jailbreak and screensaver hack can be installed over the 5.1 update?

(and I apologize for monopolizing this thread. I am very relieved though that my power button is operational again!!)
Actually you already have jailbreak. And therefore you can install screensaver also.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #35
kindleuser
kindleuser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Chapter Marker support

If you have updated to 5.1.0 already, can you please post if the chapter marker support has been added to the Touch?

I kind of miss that feature (I got so used to it when I was using my Kindle Keyboard).

Thanks,
MT
kindleuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #36
sparrowlight
Zealot

Quote:
Actually you already have jailbreak. And therefore you can install screensaver also.
Re-installing the screensaver hack won't cause the same power button issues?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #37
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I rarely restart my DX, but it goes back to auto on its own.
That'd be irritating, yes. I've never had that happen; just after a reboot. Which is arguably a bug in itself, but a pretty minor one, given how seldom you normally have to do that.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #38
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Re-installing the screensaver hack won't cause the same power button issues?
probably not but didn't it try yet. ( I'm happy with the originals )

you can uninstall it again anyway
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #39
sparrowlight
Zealot

Quote:
probably not but didn't it try yet. ( I'm happy with the originals )

you can uninstall it again anyway
I gave it a shot. It installed and I added my screensavers in the folder ... but then the power button was back to not responding. So I'll uninstall. Bummer. Hopefully there will be an update soon to the screensaver hack because I do not like the originals.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #40
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Good to hear, now if only they'll release a Kindle NT firmware update for KF8...
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #41
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Have they restored the one-of-a-kind highlight-across-pages functionality?
Or will they ever?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #42
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just installed the update. All went smoothly, and the "biggie" for me personally is that my US-bought KT can now access the Amazon UK Kindle Store, which it previously couldn't. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.
Excellent, that was the biggie I was looking for too.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
One of the most significant changes is not even mentioned in the update notes: NCX navigation!

The GoTo button now brings up a list of the navpoint labels, scrolled to indicate your position in the book (current location shown with bold label). It shows navpoint hierarchy and you can collapse and scroll and jump to new location just as with ePub reading systems.

This has always been a weak point of Kindle relative to ePub systems. Not any more.

If the book has no NCX, then you can go to the linked TOC as before (if there's one of those).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #44
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Still so many features not here yet, which makes the Touch a less-than satisfying experience. Can't wait for the next version. Bring back the buttons!

I'm so irritated with the Touch interface I even blogged on it. Hopefully Amazon is reading...

http://www.bighugenerd.com/1/post/20...ce-review.html
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Really can't agree with your criticisms of the Touch I'm afraid, William. But of course everyone perceives these things differently.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote