Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Just bought a Kindle Fire

I broke down last night and just bought a Kindle Fire. I went thru my NC and downloaded all the apps I have on it, got my epub books loaded this morning to view thru Mantano. So far, very happy.

Need:

1) Anti Glare Screen - recommendations?

I have 30 days to return if I don't like it more than my NC. Told my husband I would happily sell my NC if I like the KF better.

If anyone can think of anything I need to do since I just got this, let me know. I don't want to root.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Buy the Screen Dimm App. It will help with some of the glare not to mention battery. It's a must have for night reading.

If you're going to read Kindle books then you need the File Expert app to help load books if you use non USB methods like Dropbox or LAN.

Other then that I can't think of anything.

Read the stickies in the forum here. They have alot of good info.

Congrats on your Fire!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Actually, the app is ScreenDim. (and it's excellent)
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
I have had the Fire since its release day, and just recently decided to get a screen protector to deal with glare and fingerprints. Based on the reviews, I got a splash Masque HD, which cost a little more than most generics. I've had it for about a week, and I'm so satisfied with it that I'm buying one for my smartphone. It fits perfectly, works great, doesn't degrade the quality of the picture, and was the easiest screen protector that I've ever installed on a device.
(Note: I have no connection whatsoever with this product).
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Buy the [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Centauri-Software-ScreenDim-Full/dp/B006R7TXOO/"]
If you're going to read Kindle books then you need the File Expert app to help load books if you use non USB methods like Dropbox or LAN.

Congrats on your Fire!
ES File Explorer is another good alternative to File Expert. And I heartily recommend Dropbox as a painless way to get stuff onto the Fire. If you don't already have it, you can download it directly onto your Fire by clicking the link below:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6993309/Dropbox.apk

Last edited by calibrated; 03-08-2012 at 09:57 AM.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
ES File Explorer is the best. Tried all the others, but didn't like them as much. ES behaves like a desktop file explorer, so it's familiar.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I am sure you'll like K Fire more than NC. At least I do.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
ES File Explorer is the best. Tried all the others, but didn't like them as much. ES behaves like a desktop file explorer, so it's familiar.
I actually prefer File Expert. It's a little leaner and faster, and seems to do everything I need, so much so that I deleted ES.

BTW, I've no info on anti-glare, but I did get a Ghost Armor screen protector applied by one of those stands in the mall. I can never get them perfect when I try to apply them on my own. I like it a lot.

Last edited by ApK; 03-08-2012 at 01:17 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrated View Post
ES File Explorer is another good alternative to File Expert. And I heartily recommend Dropbox as a painless way to get stuff onto the Fire. If you don't already have it, you can download it directly onto your Fire by clicking the link below:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6993309/Dropbox.apk
I use ES File Explorer too but you need File Expert to open the Kindle books to be added to the shelf. You really don't need the Dropbox app you can add your account to ES File Explorer Net feature and access your Dropbox from there. It works pretty well.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I use ES File Explorer too but you need File Expert to open the Kindle books to be added to the shelf. You really don't need the Dropbox app you can add your account to ES File Explorer Net feature and access your Dropbox from there. It works pretty well.

You can link dropbox to File Expert as well.

It also supposedly does wifi file sharing like ES does, but since I have Wifi explorer for that, I never tried that feature on either of them.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You can link dropbox to File Expert as well.

It also supposedly does wifi file sharing like ES does, but since I have Wifi explorer for that, I never tried that feature on either of them
That's good to know. I'd use it more if I liked the interface more. I prefer ES File Explorer's look but I have them both installed. I read that File Expert's LAN feature is more Mac friendly then ES File Explorer for those mac users out there. I have WiFi Explorer Pro but never use it.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
ApK

Quote:
That's good to know. I'd use it more if I liked the interface more. I prefer ES File Explorer's look but I have them both installed. I read that File Expert's LAN feature is more Mac friendly then ES File Explorer for those mac users out there. I have WiFi Explorer Pro but never use it.
Ha, see, I prefer the simpler, less colorful interface.

Last edited by ApK; 03-08-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Ha, see, I prefer the simpler, less colorful interface.
I don't like the white background if it was black I like it more.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
ApK

Quote:
I don't like the white background if it was black I like it more.
Just use a black theme:
http://www.amazon.com/File-Expert-Bl.../dp/B0053J8RQC
Old 03-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
It wont work with the latest version. I'm stuck with the default.