Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-19-2020, 05:10 AM   #1
bopuc
livin' with ebooks
bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Location: Berlin (DE), winters in Aomori (JP), from Montréal (CA)
Device: Libra2, KOA
long time no up date

Hello, looking for quick advice as it has been a long time since I've last updated FW and JB etc… and haven't been keeping up with the news here.

I know my way around generally but don't want to step in anything nasty.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Situation:
KOA device, at FW 5.9.6.1
I am 99% sure it is properly jailbroken, with hotfix, but somehow not 100%.
Q1: How can I check?
Q2: Can/should I just go ahead and install most recent jailbreak/hotfix to be sure?

KUAL (3b62d83 20180601a) runs (Search for "KUAL" and run it from there)
Screensavers (currently reading book cover mode) works.

I want to update all I can/should:
- Kindle FW (5.13.2 as of today)
- what else?
Q3: What's the path I must walk to do this?

Bonus Q4: What's the status with brand new Kindle devices? If I order a new one today, can it be jailbroken?

Many many thanks in advance for any help anyone can be bothered to share. 🙏🏼
bopuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@bopuc:

A1. You could technically check the Id tags at the top of relevant scripts over SSH, but that's probably more trouble than it's worth, given...

A2. Yep, you can just apply the latest hotfix via Update Your Kindle (or bridge via MRPI, since you have a sane JB). Both options do the exact same thing, only the install method differs.

A3. I wouldn't recommend anything past 5.11 (or, hell, even past 5.9 or 5.10) unless you *really*, *really* want it. See the numerous warnings about that in the Open Sesame sticky.

In which case (assuming A2 took care of updating the bridge): update, reboot, reboot again, reinstall everything but hotfix. The "everything" bit should include KUAL Booklet-coplate and running MRPI via ;log mrpi since you won't have KUAL working yet .
(And I do mean manual reboots, not the ones already inflicted upon you by the update process).

A4. A PW4, yes, anything else, nope.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-19-2020 at 10:41 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
bopuc
livin' with ebooks
bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Location: Berlin (DE), winters in Aomori (JP), from Montréal (CA)
Device: Libra2, KOA
@NiLuJe:
Thank you. (For this, and all your work!)

Wow, the situation is looking dim for Kindles. Guess I need to research other readers. :\

As for my KOA, putting it down and backing away (from any updates).
(It's been in airplane mode since it came out of its box. The firmware currently on there seems to have a highlighting bug where it will save the same highlight multiple times to "My Clippings" as you perform the highlight, which makes it a real PITA. Anyways, not relevant here.)
bopuc is offline   Reply With Quote