Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #16
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I have a much easier time with e-ink, and a lot of trouble seeing glowing screens, and seeing through reflections.

I might be able to use Samsung Galaxy Tab devices, since they're reportedly only 1 cd/m2 at 0%. But it's much harder to find data on minimum brightness, than on maximum brightness.

I've often been told "get a tablet!" and "don't use e-ink!" but very rarely offered any advice to help find a glowdevice which *might* work. So I'm tired of hearing the former but would like to hear the latter.
For PDF it might be best to search high and low for a used 13" e-ink or save for a new one.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That is true. Though the InkPad X is considerably more expensive than the Glowlight Plus.

Really, I join the crowd saying don't read PDF on e-ink, but the OP said they don't wanna hear it.
Another reason for the 10.3" screen is because larger text on screen will help the OP read better. And with a larger screen, the larger text does not look like trying to fit large text in a small space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2020, 07:26 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
For PDF it might be best to search high and low for a used 13" e-ink or save for a new one.
There is only one choice for a 13" Reader and that is the Onyx Boox Max 3. The Sony is out because it only handle PDF and it's locked down.

https://onyxboox.com/boox_max3
Old 08-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is only one choice for a 13" Reader and that is the Onyx Boox Max 3. The Sony is out because it only handle PDF and it's locked down.
I wrote: For PDF. I considered Onyx Boox Max 1, 2, and 3 and did not find any of them suitable for me.

The OP has multiple strong constraints that no single reader can meet and seems to be willing to use more than one reader. I think a used Sony DPT-1 would work for PDFs for the OP. I have no experience with any other 13" device, so I did not mention any particular device.

You are full of it if you expect any thinking, discerning person to take your arbitrary demands and prohibitions seriously.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:36 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
iPad Mini, Nuvision, and one other tablet, I couldn't see the screen, because it was too bright. I experimented with apps to reduce brightness, I experimented with a bluetooth wraparound controller to avoid touchscreen trouble, etc. but nothing worked. Each device would start at full brightness, and without the appropriate apps, and each device would start with touchpad controls only, and the controller was designed for 2 hands at once. I was able to return the iPad Mini and the other.
Which iPad mini did you try? I don't have the latest version (mini 5) but I do have several newer iPads circa 2017-2019 (7th gen, Air 3, Pro 10.5) and they can get comfortably dim using purely the brightness controls. I don't have equipment to do scientific testing but based on my subjective side by side comparison with the original iPad Air (2013, same year as mini 2), the OG Air is significantly brighter at minimum brightness compared to newer iPads.

iPads have Auto-Brightness enabled by default so that's one of the first things I change when I set up as new device as the default is often too blinding.

When even minimum brightness is too bright (e.g. completely dark room at night), I adjust Reduce White Point in Settings - Accessibility. Around 60-80% always gets me to a comfortably dim level except during migraine attacks.

Mind, Apple just introduced native mouse support in iPadOS 13.4 earlier this year. I use mine with a Logitech MX Ergo Plus when at my desk and it works beautifully.

Alas, iPads are still subject to reflections. I've tried installing matte screen protectors to reduce glare but the rainbow scatter just gave me more frequent migraines.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2020, 09:07 PM   #21
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
To test readability before ordering new devices--

I'm cropping one of my problem pdfs, and a few other pdfs, and sending both to the old Story Hd, to see how large the print would be on a larger screen. I can't read the whole thing this way, but I can check how hard it is to read text.

Since the starting page is 8.5" x 11", then the cropped pages would be about 7.3" x 9.4" to show 7" sized text on a 6" screen.

about 6.5" x 8.5" to show 7.8" sized text on a 6" screen.

about 5.25" x 6.8" to show 9.7" sized text on a 6" screen.

Note that once we account for white space around the margins, the Dx is closer to 8.5" than 9.7".

Anyway, depending on the pdf, 7" is borderline sideways, 7.8" is borderline straight up bit good sideways, and 9.7" is good either way.

That means the Kobo Libra and Kindle Oasis are right out. The Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus, Likebook Mars, Medium Onyx Booxes, and so on are doubtful unless discounted. The Likebook Alita, and larger Onyx Booxes would be nice but very expensive.

The larger tablets? I'm not sure how to judge them. Maybe oled or amoled would allow lower brightness. Maybe energy star certification implies lower brightness, since higher minimum brightness takes more power, but I'm none too confident.

P.S. It was an iPad Mini in 2013 or 2014.

Last edited by MarjaE; 08-24-2020 at 09:09 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #22
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

P.S. Checking with a newer iPad, animation and motion sickness is more of an issue than brightness. Accessibility settings to "Reduce Motion" and "Prefer Cross-Fade Transitions" don't seem to reduce motion or stop page sliding.

I guess I'll need to figure out which pdf reader software would work, then which hardware would run it.

P.P.S. I've forked a separate thread for that topic:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...82#post4026882

Last edited by MarjaE; 08-24-2020 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:38 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I wrote: For PDF. I considered Onyx Boox Max 1, 2, and 3 and did not find any of them suitable for me.

The OP has multiple strong constraints that no single reader can meet and seems to be willing to use more than one reader. I think a used Sony DPT-1 would work for PDFs for the OP. I have no experience with any other 13" device, so I did not mention any particular device.

You are full of it if you expect any thinking, discerning person to take your arbitrary demands and prohibitions seriously.
With a Sony, you are limiting yourself to just PDF. You don't have the choice of any other eBook format. That to me is not a good value at all.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #24
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
With a Sony, you are limiting yourself to just PDF. You don't have the choice of any other eBook format. That to me is not a good value at all.
No one has suggested that you get a Sony 13" reader.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #25
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Why cant you order thru Amazon? You Can go to Amazon Store on you current Amazon Reader.

Sounds like your PC Monitor is set TOO Bright! My new one is ...eye strain with me. My son lowers the Brightness then the Dang system does updates & it jumps backup to the Brightest settings! UGH My Cell phone & Tablet I keep at 1/2 way.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:46 PM   #26
MarjaE
Guru

My monitor is a Benq flicker-free model, at 0% brightness, 30% contrast, 10% red, 20% green, and 10% blue. That's about my limit. My issue was that the older tablets tended to have higher brightness at 0%, and trouble staying below 0%.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #27
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My monitor is a Benq flicker-free model, at 0% brightness, 30% contrast, 10% red, 20% green, and 10% blue. That's about my limit. My issue was that the older tablets tended to have higher brightness at 0%, and trouble staying below 0%.
Nice! Then you can order online Any place. Ship to your Home or Pickup at the store.... All have places you can park & they Bring the Item out To You.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:11 AM   #28
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Given that you want to read PDF, I suggest the Pocketbook Inkpad X with a 10.3" screen available from Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/p/0VG-00FH-00...1967-_-Product
I can't believe this, but I agree with Jon on what I quoted above. The Inkpad X is 10.3 inches and has buttons.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #29
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I believe the OP needs to stick with Books... Hardback or Paperback as there does Not seem to be a eReader made yet for her medical problems. Perhaps you can contact the people that Make the eReader thats Closest to your needs & they could Make one just for you.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #30
MarjaE
Guru

I've been using pdf splice to convert for my Dx. I still think something with equivalent size and better compatibility would be useful.

The Pocketbook Inkpad X looks good, but is very expensive.

Some newer glowscreens work at lower brightnesses, including newer iPads and apparently newer Galaxy Tabs. If I can reduce brightness, disable gestures, and avoid or disable most system animation, I may be able to use a Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Related accessibility issues occur on my computer and browser, and my anti-animation hacks don't always work with store pages.

Tags
online stores