Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #16
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm surprised at a number of the reactions to this thing with respect to reading. First, I don't know why having two pages is an advantage. A single page seems much more practical except that it's not really possible with paper books so a paper book reader is forced to hold two pages in hand to be able to read one. A Kindle or a tablet gets rid of that problem. Why would anyone want it back? Isn't that kind of like wanting a buggy whip for your car?
Your analogy doesn't hold. The publishing world continues to be a hardback-first industry. Books continue to be designed as a two page presentation. While this might not mean much for words-only fiction, it does matter once any form of graphic is introduced to the text e.g graphic novels and textbooks. So while you might consider a single screen/page Kindle your ideal, the world still remains a double page one.

Furthermore, I do see an advantage to two pages/dual screens. For example in an Art History text it is often useful to have a representation of the artwork one page opposite the text discussing the work. This ability to juxtapose pages and easily reference each while reading the other is a convenience not a problem imo

Quote:
That said, the picture of the Kindle app with the title cut across two pages seems to be such a very minor problem that I'm surprised anyone cares that much. Sure it's a mistake but how often do you read the title at the top of the page? Chances are that'll be fixed with the first update but even if it isn't at least you get to hold up two pages to be able to read one. It's kind of like complaining about the buggy whip that came with your new car.
That's a bit unfair to only refer to the 'title cut comment' when characterizing my complaint and ignore the comic center cutout I posted first. It should be self evident why anyone would care about cut content

Quote:
I'd love to have one of these things to play with, not for reading but because it's something new and interesting. I doubt I'd read with it. I read on my 5" phone and on my Kindle. At that price, however, there's no way I can get one. Even my 5" phone and my Kindle were things I had to save for.

Barry
Just to be clear, you're only interested in this for the novelty factor and would rather read on a 5" phone?
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #17
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm so brain dead that when I get to the last word on the page my eyes jump to the top left and I've forgotten to turn the page. So maybe if an e-ink ereader had 2 screens like this duo I'd remember to flip the page when I get to the end of the page on the right. Although if Amazon did it I wouldn't buy it; (enter broken record mode) I'm still amazed at how little the UI changed when I upgraded my Kindle Touch to an Oasis. And then when I bought the Kobo Forma I was thinking, "Wow, after all those years why can't Amazon do this?"
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:11 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem with this device is that awful hinge. It just spoils it to no end.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #19
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Most of the reviews I've read aren't kind to this new device. Perhaps it's a good beginning for a foldable phone, but that remains to be seen.

I don't want or need a two page reading experience. For those books that require more screen real estate or split screens, I can use my iPad Pro or a computer. But for basic reading of novels, one screen is better.

From Business Insider:

"But before a device like the Surface Duo can replace your phone, it needs to do everything equally as well as your phone - including taking photos and offering stable performance when running apps.
The compromises that come with the Surface Duo make it hard to recommend, especially for $1,400. But it certainly makes me excited about where the industry is headed."

iFixit blasts the device for its non-repairability. Many other review sites take issue with the camera design and usability. One handed use is nearly impossible, according to some write ups.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:23 AM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
Your analogy doesn't hold. The publishing world continues to be a hardback-first industry. Books continue to be designed as a two page presentation. While this might not mean much for words-only fiction, it does matter once any form of graphic is introduced to the text e.g graphic novels and textbooks. So while you might consider a single screen/page Kindle your ideal, the world still remains a double page one.

Browsing through my textbooks, I don't see why 2 pages matter: the referenced tables, and diagrams don't seem to be tied to opposing pages. And as far as electronics textbooks, good software would allow the same functionality as two pages; two pages would really by the same as two screens. If I need 2 pages for a text book, I would much rather have a computer monitor setup.

As far as graphic novels, I don't care. If that is what graphic novel readers want than that is fine.

I currently have a 10" inch tablet, and I already find it rather large. Going much bigger seems like it would be unwieldy to me. So to me, the advantage of an unfoldable display is portability.

And for reading fiction, I'm going to stick to my 6" eink ereader. I foldable phone would be great, but I don't want the folded footprint to be bigger that my current phone and I would want a full function screen while it was folded. Ideally, I would get a smaller footprint phone.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #21
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:

Furthermore, I do see an advantage to two pages/dual screens. For example in an Art History text it is often useful to have a representation of the artwork one page opposite the text discussing the work. This ability to juxtapose pages and easily reference each while reading the other is a convenience not a problem imo
I can see why two pages is useful for textbooks. I nearly always read novels. I think the vast majority of readers only read models. But you're right, I wasn't considering textbooks and I should have.

Quote:
That's a bit unfair to only refer to the 'title cut comment' when characterizing my complaint and ignore the comic center cutout I posted first. It should be self evident why anyone would care about cut content
I didn't see that. Not sure how I missed it. But I don't really think of reading comic books in the same way as reading books. I do read an occasional comic book but that's really a very different medium than books. Kind of like the difference in audio drama and audio books. I like them both from time to time but I think they're very different things.

Quote:
Just to be clear, you're only interested in this for the novelty factor and would rather read on a 5" phone?
I'm interested in ereaders and I'm interested in technology in general. I think this is a pretty interesting looking device but it's a lot more than I can afford. It's not something I have a practical use for. But then I'm retired and I don't have a practical use for a lot of the tech I buy. I buy it because it's interesting. And yes I do enjoy reading on my phone.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:50 AM   #22
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
I got the device today and am pleasantly surprised by how well the Kindle app works and looks. I have a Kobo Forma but will certainly try this for a bit to see if i like it.
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:06 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
IMHO, I think it's very overpriced for what it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have made a wiki page for Foldable phone that compares 3 models.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #25
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have made a wiki page for Foldable phone that compares 3 models.

Dale
Can you add a section for screen aspect ratios?
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:55 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Can you add a section for screen aspect ratios?
I will look into it. I want to add the screens to the page on screen sizes but I haven't figured out how to group them.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #27
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Are you buying for productivity or for reading?
Imagine buying a $1300 phone to use as an eReader...

EDIT: I mean, if you have it already, sure, but...
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:05 AM   #28
dawsonthrilled
dawsonthrilled began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nope. I don't like that very distracting hinge on duo either.
dawsonthrilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:23 AM   #29
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I mean, I think an ereader in this approximate form factor would be interesting.

Given the pace of eReader innovation in the last 10 years, though, it's probably never gonna happen. We've basically gotten frontlight (maybe) and warm frontlight in that span.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote